Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Problem description: My new Strix 1080ti has started to crash my pc. It was fine saturday night playing total warhams but the next day it blackscreened after maybe half an hour with some freezing and artifacts just before the crash. Restarted, fired up my browser and again, artifacts then blackscreen. After that it would power on but not boot. Plugged into the mboard it started just fine.
I switched the PSU from the Corsair CX750 I bought to replace my ageing evo labs 800w semi-modular to the older supply. This bought a brief respite but after another quarter hour of gaming it poo poo the bed the same way and wouldn't start properly again.
It gets pretty hot to the touch but I ran heaven after first plugging it in and it seemed to run fine. I've got MSI afterburner running on auto and the latest drivers. Not sure what could be going wrong unless there's something wrong with the card itself or the PSUs are both not up to the job.

Attempted fixes: Swapped out the PSU, uninstalled then reinstalled drivers

Recent changes: New GPU, new PSU.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:

i5 6600k
Asus strix 1080ti
Evo Labs 800w semi-modular PSU
2 x 8gb ddr 4
Inatek USB3 expansion card

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The Evo Labs power supply is not good at all and I would not expect a 1080 Ti to work on it. A Corair CX750 isn't great (CX is their low-end line) but it should still be enough to work short-term. The card could be defective, but I would suggest getting a better quality power supply and seeing if that improves things.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Come to think oc it I had a 1080ti fe plugged in a little while ago with the evo supply and that was just fine. Maybe strix draws more? Also i should have mentioned it reports a random quantity of ram in diag lik 15gb or 19gb etc.

Anyway:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...fliL&ref=plSrch

That worth a try?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd recommend something a bit better, with a 1080 Ti it doesn't really make sense to be going with a value model power supply just to save $20. This requires a very significant reduction in the quality of the internal components, which means much reduced power quality. The particular model you linked is barely within spec at full load, which does not bode well at all for its longevity with such a high-end videocard. The Parts Picking Megathread will have tips, as I recall they're fans of the higher-end EVGA models like the G2. If you can afford an 80+ Platinum model that is worth getting.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Took it to a shop, they couldn't get it to work either. Think I just got sold a dud.

• Locked thread