Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is beer can chicken horseshit?
No! It flavorizes and stuff.
Yes! It's just roast chicken.
View Results

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The izakaya near me has whole skewers of just skin. It is the best thing ever.

The skewers of just heart are p good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Skins/fats were the devil in the 80's and 90's so processing just the skin or refining discarded is something I never learned as it would kill me.

I've attempted an oven crisp that failed as well as a deep fry after drying in the fridge thing to crisp. they were not worth eating, I'll just get the fix when I deep fry.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jose posted:

i foil chicken when roasting it at the start so i don't need to clean the oven anywhere near as much but it means tossing the chicken skin

You're supposed to bake the chicken in the middle of the oven, not smear it around the walls and stuff the thing with dynamite

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I brined a chicken with curing salt once and then made beer can chicken over charcoal with wood chips tossed on.

It tasted like smoked chicken ham.

While bizarre and not something I'd do again it was kinda interesting, sorta.

edit: this was like a decade ago but now in retrospect I'm thinking if I had the right kind of cheese and a good sharp, wilted green, who knows. (I know. The answer is that it still loving sucked)

Another edit is "Holy crap one of those big jugs of curing salt will last you literally a decade and more"

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 25, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think at some point I considered buying a cornish hen and slow cooking it. No, I don't remember why.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You could cold smoke them but they're too small for bbq.

I wouldn't want all the paint on the can leeching into the chicken. Spatchcocking or deboning and rolling are the best methods for smoking/grilling. I spatchcocked a turkey and smoked it last Thanksgiving. It took about 2.5 hours, had crispy skin and was the juiciest turkey I've had. It also made great, smoky pot pie.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Croatoan posted:

Beer can chicken essentially steams your chicken. Mmmmm lovely steamed chicken with a half-rear end skin. No thanks.

No it doesn't. The beer doesn't get high enough temp to steam. Someone didn't watch the video.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You're right I didn't. That's because beer can chicken is loving stupid.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Croatoan posted:

You're right I didn't. That's because beer can chicken is loving stupid.

That's what the video is saying.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey guys I'm gonna boil these pork tenderloins in Mountain Dew, ok?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey guys I'm gonna boil these pork tenderloins in Mountain Dew, ok?

Keep it healthy and gluten free by using Caffeine Free Diet Dew.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cavenagh posted:

Keep it healthy and gluten free by using Caffeine Free Diet Dew.

MOUNTAIN DEW HAS GLUTEN? gently caress. I'll just fry it in this neetsfoot oil I have, that's gluten free.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I like to poach my pangolin steaks in isopropyl alcohol :yum:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I do my turkey with a can of Jolt, so that I don't get sleepy after eating it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Fog Tripper posted:

I do my turkey with a can of Jolt, so that I don't get sleepy after eating it.

This was a thing, sort of.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Perky jerky is a thing

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey OP I made TK's roast chicken and had a beer. We cool?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've cooked approximately 90,000 chickens in my days, and I still learn something every time I cook one.

things I have learned

• fish sauce in your marinade is the best friend of chicken
  • brine your chicken, even if your "brine" is mostly fish sauce with some garlic and sugar in it
  • dry the everliving gently caress out of your chicken regardless of cut or spatchcock. ideally towel dry, refridgerate uncovered overnight. at least paper towel off.
  • bring your chicken almost to room temperature before cooking if possible. internal ~50-60ish never hurt anyone
  • salt liberally with flaky salt before you cook it, regardless of anything else you did to it before. salt is your friend, I don't think I've ever had oversalted chicken, thinking about it...
  • "slow cooking" chicken is a loving joke, unless you're braising. don't smoke the drat thing at 220 for 5 hours. smoke low and finish hot if you're smoking, otherwise go for a really hot almost oven temp (375-400) on the grill. you'll get the connective tissue breaking down a lot better, gelatin will be moving, and it'll seem a shitload juicier, esp. if brined.
  • aim for 180+ internal temp. unless you're cooking white meat. white should be 150 when you pull it, and you just gotta figure out how to get the dark 180+ and white 150, which isn't terribly hard. spatchcocking ribcage side down works, as does cooking your first 30+ minutes breast side down in an oven.

my two cents about chicken. in a chicken thread. in a comedy forum.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ALLLSO. since it was mentioned. I've both tried the keller method directly according to his french laundry cookbook directions, and I've eaten at bouchon and ordered some roast chicken. neither has hit my platonic ideal of how loving delicious a simple roast chicken should end up. but maybe a dozen of my 90k chickens have, so I keep on striving, and ignoring his recipe. gonna nail the One True Method eventually.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the most important part of a roast chicken is the gravy you serve to go with it

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I've cooked approximately 90,000 chickens in my days, and I still learn something every time I cook one.

things I have learned

• aim for 180+ internal temp. unless you're cooking white meat. white should be 150 when you pull it, and you just gotta figure out how to get the dark 180+ and white 150, which isn't terribly hard. spatchcocking ribcage side down works, as does cooking your first 30+ minutes breast side down in an oven.

my two cents about chicken. in a chicken thread. in a dead gay comedy forum.

Question about the bolded part...does that mean breast side down against the cooking vessel? Wouldn't that cook it faster? Or breast side down on a wire rack or something to minimize convective air around it, cooking it more slowly than if it was breast up?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jose posted:

the most important part of a roast chicken is the gravy you serve to go with it

Wrong it's the chicken salt you sprinkle on your chips.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Midniter posted:

Question about the bolded part...does that mean breast side down against the cooking vessel? Wouldn't that cook it faster? Or breast side down on a wire rack or something to minimize convective air around it, cooking it more slowly than if it was breast up?

oh yeah sorry, always rack a whole, unspatchcocked bird imo. I'm not a huge fan of the indentations this method leaves on the presentation side, but I'd rather have a perfectly cooked crispy skinned thing than worry so much about presentation.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I haven't spatched a bird in too long. I should do that again.

Lately for grilling since it's just me and my wife I've just been getting good quality drums and brining them with the Morton's basic brine recipe but with a motherfucking shitload of bruised/chopped tarragon in the brine.

Right before plating/pulling them off the grill I'll brush it with a little melted butter, squeeze out a little lemon, and sometimes even a little more very finely minced tarragon.

This for some reason has become chicken nirvana to me and eating the leftover cold drums out of the fridge at midnight is an added bonus.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mindphlux posted:

things I have learned

• fish sauce in your marinade is the best friend of chicken
  • brine your chicken, even if your "brine" is mostly fish sauce with some garlic and sugar in it
  • dry the everliving gently caress out of your chicken regardless of cut or spatchcock. ideally towel dry, refridgerate uncovered overnight. at least paper towel off.
  • bring your chicken almost to room temperature before cooking if possible. internal ~50-60ish never hurt anyone
  • salt liberally with flaky salt before you cook it, regardless of anything else you did to it before. salt is your friend, I don't think I've ever had oversalted chicken, thinking about it...
  • "slow cooking" chicken is a loving joke, unless you're braising. don't smoke the drat thing at 220 for 5 hours. smoke low and finish hot if you're smoking, otherwise go for a really hot almost oven temp (375-400) on the grill. you'll get the connective tissue breaking down a lot better, gelatin will be moving, and it'll seem a shitload juicier, esp. if brined.

my two cents about chicken. in a chicken thread. in a comedy forum.

Agreed on all points except the room temperature thing, and that's because I am a filthy person with an old cat who wanders my countertops and will not stop until she is dead, and a dog that can not be trusted. So I dont have the luxury of letting a chicken sit out unmolested.

The key points are SALT, DRY SKIN, and DONT OVERCOOK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

mindphlux posted:

[*]fish sauce in your marinade is the best friend of chicken

I'm a big fan of dry brining and a big fan of fish sauce, but I've never put them together in my head. Sounds awesome. Totally scheming to use a little bit with the Thanksgiving turkey now. Marinade on top of the skin or skin?

• Locked thread