Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think the necks are getting longer

That's their training paying off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Because they can not have 3 episodes in a row looking good, today was filled of faces looking like

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
The CG animation on some of the dancers looked REALLY bad... it's a pretty serious disappointment considering Haikyu looked sharp as gently caress when it wanted to be.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

So we start the Chi-chan long arc. This isn't going to be as easy as with Mako, where they decided to dance together, and boom, done! Getting a partner is going to be hard.
Chinatsu bring her own baggage and inner turmoil, you can see how she backs when they were going to start dancing, and in how she flips flops between wanting to do it and not to do it. Tatara has to discover that his leading until now has been kind of.. uh... childish? True leading in competitive dance is really more assertive and dominant, and finally their personality clashes in a much more pronounced way than when he danced with the timid Mako.
And all this is good, this is a fiction story and in the end, the heart of fiction is usually conflict. It would be boring otherwise.

I took some dance classes a long time ago when I was a kid, grades6-9. Chinatsu has been the most realistic personality to me so far. Her wishy washy, contradicting, maddening, flighty, self-centered attitude is extremely common in that world.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
This episode was pretty good, even if it was mostly set-up.

I'm kinda curious; do we have any resident dancers in here who can confirm/deny the hella sexism in dancing competition shown in the show? Is that true to reality in general or maybe just a Japanese thing?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

This episode was pretty good, even if it was mostly set-up.

I'm kinda curious; do we have any resident dancers in here who can confirm/deny the hella sexism in dancing competition shown in the show? Is that true to reality in general or maybe just a Japanese thing?

I was going to comment on this. It seemed very interesting when I read it in the manga, to see how Tatara has to deal with the reality of the sport (and maybe his dance in the future will be more equal for both?).
We the audience, as Tatara, supposed that dance was equally judged between man and woman, being the two people needed for doing the dance in the first place!. Two people, so 50%/50%. It's a shock to discover it isn't like that. Even the official form for competition is entered with the male name

I don't know how it works in reality, but suspect it's something real in sport, not something special to Japan. At least ballroom classical dance has very old origins, literally from other century as you can imagine, and for me it has the image of something conservative, kept as traditions dictate. The 'lead' and 'follow' roles are a real thing of course, so it makes sense the ones that leads the dancing is more important to judges.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope Tatara becomes the best follower ever but I have a feeling that's not where it's going.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The entry form for the last comp I entered had a spot for "Gentleman" and "Lady". Some said "Leader" and "Follower" since same gender couples are possible. The "couple defined by the leader down to the number" thing is slightly true, but that's because a lead can dance with multiple follows in one comp or vice versa.

On being graded based on the lead's ability: this is pretty much inavoidable in the closed hold Standard dances. Assuming the basic mechanics of posture, footwork and timing are all there, the most important things are movement and shape/sway. Both of those are capped by the lead's ability. The lady might be able to generate a little more energy when she's stepping forward, but overall the partnership travels as much the lead wants to, whether its because that's all he able to do, or if he's holding back for floorcraft reasons. For sway, if even she's has more range of motion, the lady really can't sway more than the leader is able, otherwise it doesn't look like they're dancing together at all.

I guess you could also say that the worse of the two dancers defines how good the couple looks, and it's easier/more acceptable for a lead to elevate a follow than it is the other way around.

Source: me being a bad dancer for the past decade.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

Basically. A rough rule of thumb is that the man puts the couple in the final and the follow determines the placement.

This is because when leading the man is conducting: he determines the direction, speed, timing etc etc while the lady is just working to execute it. Especially early on a lot of how well a couple does is determined by the man's skill.

But that only goes so far. The best follow in the world right now is Natascha Karabey, but she's not the best dancer and her and her partner aren't in the top 3 worldwide. Long term it ends up being two way communication in the couple: the follow is providing feedback and support and the lead needs to be attentive to that, otherwise he looks like an rear end in a top hat. His job is ultimately to show the lady off and it's easy to start thinking of her as an accessory.

Long run Tatara probably wins because he's already doing this.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the responses, that's real cool to know.

In other news, the latest chapter is up on Batoto, but like chapter 44 its a limited release of the first 9 pages due to the author's health. We'll get the rest in a couple weeks or so maybe.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I already recommended read the manga before, but now I have to say it again with this second part of the anime, as they are going a bit faster than before, skipping some lines here and there, some small scenes from their training and from the tourney, other scenes are here but they don't give them the same focus and importance... it's all material that while it isn't essential, it helped with the character development and to establish the narrative.

Kugimiya, not the dance protagonist that we need, but the one we deserve. Spinoff Kugimiya comedy with depressing humor when.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 21, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ballroom 17

Great episode, without any need of big hype scenes or surprises. Just lots of interesting character building. Tatara, Mako, Chinatsu, Shizuku, they all have something insightful to share. Shizuku and Tatara relationship through each other impressions of their dance and mutual respect, Mako's fears of being left behind but the resolution to stay with his brother, Tatara lacking identity, Chinatsu having trust issues, etc. In addition we have a deeper perspective in Tatara & Chinatsu problems as couple.

Still, as always also read the equivalent manga chapter, they cut the Cucaracha scene! :argh:

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 28, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Well I didn't see that one coming. Now I feel super bad for Akira. :smith:

Maybe Chinatsu will come out, dump Tatara, marry her, and smash the dance patriarchy together. I'm guessing not though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm glad they included a smudge of their training with the new lady, in this episode placed in the middle of a tournament like a month after that happened.

This show rules and I guess all the people saying Chi would save it were right.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe it's my imagination, but I think the direction is improving in this later episodes. For example I liked the final part of episode 18, where Tatara's pent up frustration advanced his dance and people around him got surprised.

Sindai posted:

Well I didn't see that one coming. Now I feel super bad for Akira. :smith:

Maybe Chinatsu will come out, dump Tatara, marry her, and smash the dance patriarchy together. I'm guessing not though.

I'm guessing not. But I really liked how they explained their past relationship and Akira's real feelings.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show is good when Tatara's partner is the main character

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

This show is good when Tatara's partner is the main character

That kind of makes sense when you figure that the story is about how Tatara is just kind of a loser with a bit of talent getting caught up in a world of huge personalities.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ballroom 20

Watching this has been a bit weird, because i read it in the manga just a few months ago. It's really catching up with the manga, in fact I think it will surpass it with the final episode.
Akira-san's arc has finished, but it has been very good. From friendship to adoration, to hate, to helplessness, to needy calls for attention, to love. It hit me in the feels when she unexpectedly cried while cleaning tables.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Did anyone else flinch/cringe irl when Hyodo did the shoulder thing to Tatara?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Did anyone else flinch/cringe irl when Hyodo did the shoulder thing to Tatara?

absolutely. i'm no expert in stretching technique, but something tells me that is slightly dangerous.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It wouldn't have been nearly as bad without the tearing visual. :gonk:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
it's even better in the manga, though it lacks the visceral crunch sound of the anime.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 20, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
:shudder:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

feels good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, what anime watchers think of our friend Mr. Truck?

I think the last episode was weaker than others, when they are dancing and explaining stuff from the grades is when the anime does it worse.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Mr Truck should have finished the job.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So this is the end!

They won!
Personally, I would have given them the second place. Tatara is still pretty new and Kugimiya is a veteran dancer, it would have been more logical, and Marisa-sensei said a 2nd pos. would be once she heard Kugimiya was going to enter in the competition.

In any case it has been a good episode, as expected, being the final one. Better animation than average, and some good scenes that serve as farewell.

Even then, still, this final episode also showed some of the directional problems that previous episodes had. More especifically, the cut in the middle of the Quickstep was bad, they got us to be hyped with it, they were doing a good job of showing the dance and the intensity, and then they jarringly cut into a introspective Tatara mind passage about why people dance with a totally different music.

Of course the end it's very open, as the manga will continue.

Which btw, it's on hold for two months, but once it resumes, I hope to reuse this thread for it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 16, 2017

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
I have a bunch of earlier episodes I missed, but I watched up from where the manga is currently at so I could see the ending. I'm happy it ended on a pretty good note! It's nice they made a point that even the judges say the Kugimiya pair would've won on skill alone. I've seen a few dancers mention how much weight showmanship has in the judges' eyes, so it's totally possible for a less technically proficient pair to get the win. I'm just glad Tatara and Chinatsu aren't breaking up! I'm really cheering for these kids to make it big, I wanna see them go to Blackpool!

When Kugimiya was first introduced, he really seemed like the kind of rear end in a top hat you love to hate, but I got pretty invested in him and Idogawa's stories. I hope that they'll stick around after this arc once the manga continues.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
The show had a rough start, but I'm happy I stuck with it. Looking forward to the manga picking up again eventually, too.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I'm not into this show enough to actively seek to continue following the story via the manga. But this was one of the shows I preferred to watch as soon as a new episode hit, unlike some others that I'll let sit two or three episodes before playing catch-up. I think maybe my biggest gripe with it overall however is that the lead never faced a real loss. Even when dancing with Mako the Tenpei-cup loss was re-contextualized as a win due to Mako being the Ballroom Queen and the overall goal of proving she's a good partner being met. I dunno, I just felt like despite all the inter-personal adversity Tatara faced, there wasn't a real strong element of competitive adversity.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Is the anime going another season immediately? The last manga chapter had an author's note where he says that since the anime has surpassed the manga, the anime is gonna start showing things first and slightly differently after this tournament.

Thoughts on the show. I wanna point out that Chinatsu is such a great character, and foil for Tatara specifically, that it seems like they've all but abandoned the original female interest character. Hell the whole point of this arc was supposed to be so he could stay in the same world as Shizuku, but at this point that hardly even seems like it matters.

Also Hyodo has been loving hilarious these last few episodes. Like, some people zone out and maybe don't hear you, but that's not really him. He hears what his friends are saying, he just doesn't loving care and you're lucky if he doesn't walk away in the middle of a conversation. Like a drat cat or something. :lol:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Thoughts on the show. I wanna point out that Chinatsu is such a great character, and foil for Tatara specifically, that it seems like they've all but abandoned the original female interest character. Hell the whole point of this arc was supposed to be so he could stay in the same world as Shizuku, but at this point that hardly even seems like it matters.

I really love the bait and switch, since it's p obvious Tatara is coming to realize that, while he greatly admired and adored Shizuku, it's actually Chinatsu that he's falling in love with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

I really love the bait and switch, since it's p obvious Tatara is coming to realize that, while he greatly admired and adored Shizuku, it's actually Chinatsu that he's falling in love with.

I think Shizuku is more like.. his muse. She inspired him to dance, admired her, wanted to get closer in the world of dance, etc. But she was always like to far away goal to desire, more than a real personal crush.

• Locked thread