Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Match Tonight?
This poll is closed.
Jinder Mahal vs Randy Orton - Punjabi Prison 9 10.59%
John Cena vs Rusev - Flag Match 3 3.53%
Usos vs The New Day - Tag Title Match 11 12.94%
AJ Styles vs Kevin Owens - US Title Match 22 25.88%
Shinsuke Nakamura vs Baron Corbin 5 5.88%
Women's 5-Way Match 1 1.18%
Sami Zayn vs Mike Kanellis 0 0%
Tye Dillinger vs Aiden English 3 3.53%
Forget that, Bad Luck Fale must pay! 31 36.47%
Total: 85 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

In all seriousness I now know that's a racist thing but I just learned that like six months ago or something. I dunno if most people know that.

I had no idea it was racist. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
This means Jinder Mahal or Baron Corbin will be in the title match at Summerslam.

I thought WWE was supposed to give a gently caress about Summerslam?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Astro7x posted:

I think the worst part about this PPV is that the worst fueds are the ones that are unresolved and will continue through SummerSlam
Eh there is a lot of time between now and SS so they might actually blow some of them off on Smackdown

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VJeff posted:

It wasn't originally, but the racist usage does go back to the 20s.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

In all seriousness I now know that's a racist thing but I just learned that like six months ago or something. I dunno if most people know that.

I don't even think the original explanation for the phrase is racist, but good lord, you gotta know never to use that phrase in regards to a black person. And then definitely don't go into talking about snatching weaves and whatever the gently caress else she said after that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Was every match tonight featuring someone born outside of the continental US because it sure feels like it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

VJeff posted:

Spade is a slur for black people, but the phrase itself isn't racist because it's referring to the garden tool. People just get antsy about it because no one bothers to look at context.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

is Jinder jobbing again yet

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
That was worse than fastlane

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VJeff posted:

The idiom isn't racist in and of itself but "spade" is a slur so uh, don't use it to refer to black people

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

This means Jinder Mahal or Baron Corbin will be in the title match at Summerslam.

I thought WWE was supposed to give a gently caress about Summerslam?

They're going to have a fourway for the belt everyone actually cares about with Brock, Reigns, Braun and Joe; and possibly a for-nothing match with Styles and Nakamura

They don't care about anything else because they know fans won't either and it's $10. If people paid that much for this, they know they'll pay that much for those two matches

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I feel like I've had this same conversation about something Natty has said before too, but I don't think she was intentionally racist and probably has no idea that it was ever racist to begin with

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chris James 2 posted:

They're going to have a fourway for the belt everyone actually cares about with Brock, Reigns, Braun and Joe; and possibly a for-nothing match with Styles and Nakamura

They don't care about anything else because they know fans won't either and it's $10. If people paid that much for this, they know they'll pay that much for those two matches

I cancelled the network and streamed this and I still feel ripped off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
explain the racist thing, im not watching

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Erebus posted:

Spade is a slur for black people, but the phrase itself isn't racist because it's referring to the garden tool. People just get antsy about it because no one bothers to look at context.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The idiom isn't racist in and of itself but "spade" is a slur so uh, don't use it to refer to black people

Yeah I was immediately like "Oh geez I guess a spade means a black person" but I always though it was just referring to the garden tool.

Wow. Language is something.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

IDK if Lawler should confess to trying to take downies home with him

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DoctorGonzo posted:

explain the racist thing, im not watching

natty was shooting on naomi and said she was "gonna call a spade a spade" and went on to talk about snatching weaves or however she put it

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

natty was shooting on naomi and said she was "gonna call a spade a spade" and went on to talk about snatching weaves or however she put it

i see, that reads pretty bad.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Watching it, it seemed to me like she just said the "spade a spade" thing and realized right after it came out of her mouth that it sounded racist. She then proceeded to overcompensate by trying to talk like she was on Black Twitter so people would know she was cool.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DeepDickPizza posted:

Watching it, it seemed to me like she just said the "spade a spade" thing and realized right after it came out of her mouth that it sounded racist. She then proceeded to overcompensate by trying to talk like she was on Black Twitter so people would know she was cool.

To be entirely fair she was turning around Naomi's catchphrase with the "snatch her bald" bit but maybe that's like an n-word situation? I honestly don't know.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

To be entirely fair she was turning around Naomi's catchphrase with the "snatch her bald" bit but maybe that's like an n-word situation? I honestly don't know.

She was talking about "tea" a lot and said one other thing that I can't remember. I don't think anything Natty did was malicious or anything. It just all came across as uncomfortably naive and awkward when put together.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I started watching late. Was Corbin/Nakamura worth watching?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Professor Funk posted:

the ending is dumb, but understandable. i liked it overall, it really cranks into gear about 2/3rds the way through.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Professor Funk posted:

It was ok.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I didn't watch this but from what I've heard it was weird, bad and baffling all at the same time

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nattie is Canadian, so she's not used to every 3rd word being a secret hate word.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man that show fell off a cliff after the Usos/New Day tag match :(

I got called away and missed the back half which was actually probably a blessing in disguise, sorry you had to deal with that one guy drunkposting.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Nattie is Canadian, so she's not used to every 3rd word being a secret hate word.

This. The phrase is only racist because to Americans every second thing they say is racist somehow.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Love it when Australians lecture Americans about racial etiquette

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well "Call a spade a spade" is a phrase that has been around since the 1500's and there's nothing racist about it. I didn't hear it so if she went on to talking about snatching weaves then ehhh that isn't great but Nattie is a terrible, awkward promo and was probably just trying not to repeat the same thing over and over, which she normally does.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Not everyone can be a great promo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6gpZJvSB4Y

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Charlotte promos best when she is able to draw from her real hatred of her father

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
On the one hand this PPV had by far the most bad stuff I've seen in a very long while, on the other hand I found most of it to be morbidly fascinating and I watched a great deal of it, instead of skipping over practically an hour of the PPVs like I do for most shows these days.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rick posted:

On the one hand this PPV had by far the most bad stuff I've seen in a very long while, on the other hand I found most of it to be morbidly fascinating and I watched a great deal of it, instead of skipping over practically an hour of the PPVs like I do for most shows these days.

The Raw/Smackdown are meaningless, and the PPVs now build up to the Big 4.

I mean, if you look at it like that, last night was a very good episode of Smackdown.

That's how I treat it at least, I just can't watch the weekly shows anymore. If people say the PPV is bad, how the hell are they watching the weekly shows?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

I mean, if you look at it like that, last night was a very good episode of Smackdown.

That's how I treat it at least, I just can't watch the weekly shows anymore. If people say the PPV is bad, how the hell are they watching the weekly shows?

The Raw PPVs are good now though and have been since the Shakeup.

Raw TV shows have also largely been good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Astro7x posted:

Usually also by fast forwarding past an hour to two hours per show.

I dunno I have a pretty low quality bar but Smackdown was more enjoyable to me than this PPV.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The PPV couldnt even provide closure to the Fashion Police story

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I turn it on in the background while I play video games, generally.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

every thing Is meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Astro7x posted:

I would rather watch an episode of Smackdown because at least there nobody will wrestle for 30 loving minutes in a big dumb cage and the great khali probably won't be there

• Locked thread