Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Mission 7 - "First to Fall"
We help Charnel destroy Pyro with interesting results.

Sorry for the late release - it's a long one, so it took forever to upload and process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Just a heads up, when you die and are in spirit form, any sort of mana regen will restore your health instead. That means, if your 4 manahoars are still alive, you'll actually rez faster standing next to them than if you go to a manalith. You'll also be able not to lose a bazillion souls on the battlefield.

On the subject of the story, man Pyro can't catch a break can he? I don't think he ever survives past mission 6 on any playthrough beyond his own. It's interesting how he manages to represent that much of a danger to himself and others that they just universally put him down like a mad dog when he goes too far.

Also, it's interesting how Warmongers and Styxes - both are given to you in an evil campaign, get perfectly countered by Ents and Jabberrockies - which are given to you on a good campaign, and are the only things that can approach bombard and warmonger-guarded manaliths and shrug it off. You see here perfectly the need to mix and match, as the good guys have poo poo ranged units and the bad guys have garbage for brawlers. Attacking pyro as a charnel servant really loving hurts, all your units have basically 0 health and you're better off sending a swarm and hoping something makes it out on the other side. Warmongers and bombards are the bane of your existence. As opposed to being with James, which means you literally don't care about anything they throw at you because you have health for the next 4 days, or Persephone's innumerable healing spells.

And then there's Stratos. All of his units and spells are basically hot garbage (I'd probably save storm giants and maybe vorticks) until level 8-9.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 2, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

mortons stork posted:

Just a heads up, when you die and are in spirit form, any sort of mana regen will restore your health instead. That means, if your 4 manahoars are still alive, you'll actually rez faster standing next to them than if you go to a manalith. You'll also be able not to lose a bazillion souls on the battlefield.

On the subject of the story, man Pyro can't catch a break can he? I don't think he ever survives past mission 6 on any playthrough beyond his own. It's interesting how he manages to represent that much of a danger to himself and others that they just universally put him down like a mad dog when he goes too far.

Also, it's interesting how Warmongers and Styxes - both are given to you in an evil campaign, get perfectly countered by Ents and Jabberrockies - which are given to you on a good campaign, and are the only things that can approach bombard and warmonger-guarded manaliths and shrug it off. You see here perfectly the need to mix and match, as the good guys have poo poo ranged units and the bad guys have garbage for brawlers. Attacking pyro as a charnel servant really loving hurts, all your units have basically 0 health and you're better off sending a swarm and hoping something makes it out on the other side. Warmongers and bombards are the bane of your existence. As opposed to being with James, which means you literally don't care about anything they throw at you because you have health for the next 4 days, or Persephone's innumerable healing spells.

And then there's Stratos. All of his units and spells are basically hot garbage (I'd probably save storm giants and maybe vorticks) until level 8-9.

Good to know about the rez situation - I had wondered how it was happening instantly sometimes and other times not. Also, I'm extremely jealous of the Warmongers and Bombards. If I play through again someday I'll have to give Pyro a try.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Mission 8 - "Slaughter the Slaughterer"
We begin our redemption arc as we help James take out Charnel.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Ah yes Bore. One of the most interesting ultimate spells and one of the very few ways that can destroy souls permanently, since every unit which falls down is lost entirely.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, assaulting channels home felt... underwhelming.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nuramor posted:

Ah yes Bore. One of the most interesting ultimate spells and one of the very few ways that can destroy souls permanently, since every unit which falls down is lost entirely.

Definitely took me by surprise with how much land it actually displaces.

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, assaulting channels home felt... underwhelming.

Yeah it was pretty easy without having to deal with the massive damage of Pyro's units. I think part of the issue is that the second wizard didn't come after me until super late, and there was just so much barren territory to walk across. A smaller map would have helped a lot.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Those words of Eldred about 'your actions have aided Marduk at every turn' to Charnel are... absolutely nonsensical if you did any previous Charnel missions, like Rojo has done here. You'd have thought more neutral terms or a different map with different lines spoken could have accounted for that, but welp.

Also it's weird to see James speak up this early in the mission. All other missions against Gods in their homes with their supreme altars have someone make it explicitly clear: no other Gods can speak or intervene directly in the home of another God.

Honestly, I dislike how much you are locked into a God's final few missions as you are. Outside of James' final unit, lategame James spells I found funny, but less than useful. Bore is visually impressive and very dangerous. But it's worthless to really force a battle to take place elsewhere, considering the casting time. Bovine Intervention's funny, but even most any other Gods' abilities are better.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 9, 2017

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
The dialogue really works best if you just pick a single god and stick with them from start to finish. You'll probably get a clearer picture of the plot as well. This was especially evident when Charnel mentioned Acheron in the final mission during your previous playthrough.

Dinictus posted:

Outside of James' final unit, lategame James spells I found funny, but less than useful. Bore is visually impressive and very dangerous. But it's worthless to really force a battle to take place elsewhere, considering the casting time. Bovine Intervention's funny, but even most any other Gods' abilities are better.

Bore is pretty bad, yeah. It's probably most (or only) useful if you need to erase a heavily defended manalith's defenders or to block a wizard from going through a narrow gap. I don't think the manaliths can be permanently destroyed by it. Bovine intervention will gib enemies so you can potentially use it to grab some extra souls. It's still not the best, but at least it won't bite you in the rear end like death will.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Pursued by bees posted:

Bore is pretty bad, yeah. It's probably most (or only) useful if you need to erase a heavily defended manalith's defenders or to block a wizard from going through a narrow gap. I don't think the manaliths can be permanently destroyed by it. Bovine intervention will gib enemies so you can potentially use it to grab some extra souls. It's still not the best, but at least it won't bite you in the rear end like death will.

But there lies the problem too. Bore doesn't affect the area of any structures and a small strip of land surrounding it. If you clump up your guardian'd units around the structure they're tied to, not even Bore can remove them from play. Forcing a chokepoint could be neat and useful, but that requires a level of micro in this game that is difficult to maintain.

James 9 is better than James 8, is what I am saying.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dinictus posted:

Honestly, I dislike how much you are locked into a God's final few missions as you are.

That's why I stuck with Charnel for so many missions. If I had helped stratos at all past like mission 5, we'd have been stuck with him until the end of the game I believe. It's unfortunate because I would have definitely done at least one just to mix things up. I guess how it is makes sense for the story, though, with James (naively) believing we didn't know about Stratos's plots.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah stratos has by far one of the most interesting stories, but since his units are such garbage it's hard to find a reason to stick with him. Unlike Charnel, who strikes a decent balance.

One thing I love about how Dys and the Charnel realms are drawn is how goddamn eerie and threatening they are, so much so that even the sun looks eerie. Like, you go into a blasted hellscape that's supposed to run with rivers of blood (I imagine they tried, and that just was not able to be rendered in 2000) and even the trees look like carnivorous plants, and it's lit by this gloomy sun that seems just as threatening as everything else. Plus the "music" there. I like how well they tie it all together.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Final episodes will be out tomorrow and either Sunday or Monday depending on upload / processing time.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Mission 9 - "Digging In"
We prepare to defend James against Marduk's allies. Luckily, we won't have to fight alone.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The end of this mission shows off one of the big advantages of Bore. An enemy wizard who's on point can grab fallen souls from any other attack spell pretty quickly -- Abraxus in particular seems to excel at it -- but Bore just takes them out of the game entirely.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Final mission will be up tomorrow. I wanted to finish it today, but it's another long one and realistically it'll take all night to upload / process.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Mission 10 - "Cracked Visage"
It's time once again for the final showdown with Marduk. Redemption arc complete!

This video marks the end of the second playthrough and ultimately the end of the LP's for the thread. Thanks to everyone for stopping by and sharing your thoughts as we wheeled and dealed our way to victory not once, but twice!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

And after his random flip turn to warmongering at the final decision point, James has gone back to being a chill and good dude.

Glad you let him be the survivor this run.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
You're done! Congrats, dude!
On both finding this little gem and bearing with it, I hope it was as rewarding for you to do as it was to watch and, in my case, also revisit memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Ah, Sacrifice. My dad got it when I was in high school, and I watched it avidly over his shoulder before taking it up myself. I don't recall if I ever finished the single-player campaign, but good times all the same. Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

• Locked thread