Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I think my motherboard has two defective RAM slots but I'd like to make sure I haven't missed anything before RMAing it. It's a Gigabyte Z170-MX Gaming 5.

I bought two new sticks of DDR4 3200mhz RAM a couple days ago as an upgrade from my 1 stick of DDR4 2133mhz RAM, mostly for dual channel benefits but also because it seems a few applications benefit from the extra speed. But that doesn't really matter I guess, as my issue is related to the slots.

Two of the four RAM slots don't seem to respond at all to RAM. If I put a stick or two sticks in them (the two left slots), the PC doesn't boot at all. The right two work but unfortunately if I use them, it's forced into single channel as the slots go black 1, red 1, black 2, red 2 and I need to match up two colours to make use of the dual channel.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, updating the motherboard BIOS and re-mounting my CPU cooler as some people online had suggested a too-tight CPU cooler or misplaced CPU could cause a slot or two to stop working. The two that don't work are the two closest to the CPU. I've also tried using my old RAM in those slots and if put it in either, the computer doesn't boot as well. I've tried every combination of placement for both my old and new RAM imaginable at this point.

Anything else I can try before RMAing this? And if I have to RMA it, how is Gigabtyte at it? I'm hoping they can send me a replacement and I send the broken one back if I give them a CC but I've never had to RMA with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Complete shot in the dark here, but I know some motherboards need to have the first two RAM slots filled before the others will be accessible. Perhaps yours is like this as well?

For the record, I am not an expert by any metric and I am probably wrong. :v:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

you should be using slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for a dual stick configuration. Page 10 here: https://cdn.billiger.com/dynimg/Yfp...tung-00cd54.pdf shows the supported configurations.

Looks like it's recommended to use slots DDR4_1, DDR4_2 if you are only running 2 sticks. What RAM did you buy?

You should technically be able to boot with 1 stick in any slot.

Likely RMA process will go: You ship thing to them, they jerk around for a bit, they ship you possibly working refurbished thing.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I should be been more specific in my post - I've tried a combination of every port in the board. If there's a stick of RAM in either of the first two ports [the two closest] to the CPU, the computer doesn't boot.

Whether I do a new stick of the DDR4 3200mhz RAM in slot 1 or 2, or both sticks with one in slot 1 or 2 and the other in slot 3 or 4, or even if both sticks are in slot 1 or 2. Or even if I put the old RAM in either of the new slots - same deal. Basically if there's RAM in one of those two slots, the motherboard simply doesn't POST/boot.

Doesn't seem to be a RAM issue since the same issue comes up with both my DDR4 3200mhz RAM as well as the 2133mhz RAM and whether it's one, two or three sticks - if there's a slot of RAM in one of those first two slots it's a no go.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Godinster posted:

I should be been more specific in my post - I've tried a combination of every port in the board. If there's a stick of RAM in either of the first two ports [the two closest] to the CPU, the computer doesn't boot.

Whether I do a new stick of the DDR4 3200mhz RAM in slot 1 or 2, or both sticks with one in slot 1 or 2 and the other in slot 3 or 4, or even if both sticks are in slot 1 or 2. Or even if I put the old RAM in either of the new slots - same deal. Basically if there's RAM in one of those two slots, the motherboard simply doesn't POST/boot.

Doesn't seem to be a RAM issue since the same issue comes up with both my DDR4 3200mhz RAM as well as the 2133mhz RAM and whether it's one, two or three sticks - if there's a slot of RAM in one of those first two slots it's a no go.

If it's a new enough board that you can RMA, then do the RMA, it seems likely you have bum slots

• Locked thread