Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVBAeS5t5nc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
This is the one where you choose to gain more power at the cost of corruption? Did look very impressive.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently it's bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33osJXSDj-I

tons of enemies you carve through effortlessly, also they don't care about level geometry

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You have to choose between upgrades like either transform and glide midair or triple jump which sounds good, parts of the game are random generated which sounds bad. Hopefully there will be a boss rush mode

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

Apparently it's bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33osJXSDj-I

tons of enemies you carve through effortlessly, also they don't care about level geometry

I'm not worried about fighting too many enemies

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Wow. So it's ruined by really bland random levels, one button combat and enemies just being a giant simplistic crowd that constantly harasses you. Not exactly Dead Cells.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Besides the amount of enemies you just described Dead Cells though lol

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Random levels are just not as good as levels with actual design and testing but I don't mind waves of enemies or straightforward combat. This doesn't look like the game for people who do

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This is really good so far but there are occasional short freezes like it's loading or something

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If you like Dead Cells or Hollow Knight try this game because it's better than them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Looks amazing but in dire need of a few patches.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
procedural generation *recoils like nosfertatu from the cross*

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Relin posted:

procedural generation *recoils like nosfertatu from the cross*

That was my reaction too but it's not bad. It only reorders things if you die

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Looks amazing but in dire need of a few patches.

The loading in game is a minor irritation at worst but it will be nice if they fix it. The load screens are as bad as pre patch Bloodborne but you only see them between big areas or if you die

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I watched someone stream this and it looks super frustrating to play. There's no actual enemy placement; rather, enemies ambush you periodically as you travel through the level. Which sounds interesting but most of the enemies don't actually care about terrain and just teleport through it. Also there's barely any enemy variety and the devs think difficulty should be spamming enormous amounts of enemies.

There's a cool idea for a game here but I think it needed a lot more work. As it stands I can tell it would get old fast.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sorry you bought a crappy game op

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the art style reminds me of THE MAXX

or Aaru's Awakening, which is probably a better game

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Cowcaster posted:

Sorry you bought a crappy game op

It's a relief knowing I didn't buy one that forum moderators are into

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Buccaneer posted:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Buccaneer posted:

I remember getting Gone Home because goons said it was good and interesting.

I no longer listen to most goons.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Buccaneer posted:

If you like Dead Cells or Hollow Knight try this game because it's better than them

lol

The review posted earlier nails all the problems with this game. Shame too since the art direction is really nice.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Wish I had read the review before I spent hours enjoying the game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Buccaneer posted:

Wish I had read the review before I spent hours enjoying the game

Its okay to admit you like a flawed game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Buccaneer posted:

Besides the amount of enemies you just described Dead Cells though lol

Sorry to hear about your bad game op.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this game seems pretty bad

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
sundered is out in 5 hours

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't mean it when I said Sunturd I was just cranky because Cuckmart canceled the pre order for my 17th copy of Super Mario World

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what an odd gimmick to promote your game with

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

cool game ruined by lack of level design and op's posts

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
will probably be in a .99 bundle stars bundle next week

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I don't have any special goony reverence for Metroidvanias; I've never played SotN or Super Metroid but I've done a few others, and Sundered is p fun. The "shitloads of enemies" portions are a game mechanic in order to force you to just speedrun through the area you're in, they literally do not stop spawning until you do. You're not SUPPOSED to sit and fight them until you die, because they will never stop coming; the game is so incredibly clear about that.
Dead Cells is uglier but maybe the combat is better but it's like, it's better in the way that Street Fighter 4 is better than 5: 99% of people will play it and go "yeah, this is fine, ok" and 1% will "know better".
Definitely worth $5 (too bad it's $15).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The enemies aren't fun, I hate the combat, and I backed this dumb game. Only on the basic 'get the game' level, thankfully. Thunder Lotus seems to make great looking but terribly playing games. :negative: Maybe once patches that fix the horrible loading and stutter come out it'll be good, and also the same loving enemies never stopping spawning. I want to explore. :(

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I pre-order once in a blue moon. I pre-ordered this on the spot after I saw the visuals. Unfortunately, the gameplay isnt half as deep or impressive. I have no idea of this game will get patched and get some post-release love from the devs.

Never again. Not even once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've got about 4 hours into the game. I started out liking it despite hating procedurally generated levels; I'm souring on it quick.

Regarding the hordes, I don't think you are supposed to just run away from them, and they aren't endless. I know that they aren't endless because I have survived them, and because when I went into a specific area, the game explicitly told me the hordes in that area were endless. It feels real good when you successfully use smart tactics and the terrain to survive a horde. Unfortunately, I die to them far more often than I survive them, because I don't always have good options and the damage enemies do ramps up quickly. I would estimate that more than half the time it feels like the game just decided it was time for me to die. Hordes happen a lot. I didn't mind early on because it was rare that a horde would actually kill me, but as I get deeper in the game, they stop me from exploring more with disturbing frequency. At this point I think I'm comfortable saying that the horde mechanic is either a bad idea or poorly designed as implemented. I lean towards bad idea because the combat is not very complex and, like Guacamelee, I don't especially want to be forced to do lots of it for no reason.

• Locked thread