Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

yeah Jack looked more like she stepped out of a 90's World of Darkness rule book representing a hot Brujah, rather than a trauma survivor.

Jokes on you, I'm into that sort of crap.

Actually, having started to run a vampire game again recently, 99% of the books belong here. I thought the Book Of Nod was the height of style and cool when I was 16 and it was 1998. Turns out, no, no it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Book_of_the_Wyrm_Second_Edition

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I always liked how World of Darkness books defaulted to a feminine pronoun.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Please, that's not even the worst book of theirs during that time. That was probably Freak Legion, with powers such as painful genitalia and rape pheromones.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Freak Legion,

Please do not repeat the name me and my friends gave ourselves in middle school when we were goths for 2 months

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

The Asari always jumped out to me too. Wow, the omnisexual space nymphs also mature into space MILFs, you don't say?

Jack's design hovers around a plausible (or at least plausibly deniable) "trauma survivor expressing bodily autonomy" thing, which is something at least. Or maybe that just makes it worse.

IIRC with the Asari there was a theoretical hook that they were genetically engineered by the Protheans to be easily able to ingratiate themselves to other species, at which point they could then be used as a proxy to manipulate them. But I don't think that every really went anywhere beyond background fluff.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Perestroika posted:

IIRC with the Asari there was a theoretical hook that they were genetically engineered by the Protheans to be easily able to ingratiate themselves to other species, at which point they could then be used as a proxy to manipulate them. But I don't think that every really went anywhere beyond background fluff.

There was also a background conversation in one of the games where a human thought Asari looked like a hot human, a Turian (where Turians look very non-human like) thought Asari looked like a hot Turian, etc. Basically implying that the Asari look like different things to different species. That would have been a cool twist if they explored it more.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Paper Tiger posted:

There was also a background conversation in one of the games where a human thought Asari looked like a hot human, a Turian (where Turians look very non-human like) thought Asari looked like a hot Turian, etc. Basically implying that the Asari look like different things to different species. That would have been a cool twist if they explored it more.

These were my assumptions about them as well when I played the first game. A race that exclusively looks like hot blue human women and were interfertile with every other species seemed incredibly suspicious and way too on the nose for the tone they were using. I guess that got left on the cutting room floor.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The asari could reproduce with any race, that was their whole thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The hanar and elcor might pose problems

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Please, that's not even the worst book of theirs during that time. That was probably Freak Legion, with powers such as painful genitalia and rape pheromones.

That's the one I meant to link but forgot the name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I've seen technical documentations on the internet and it seems like it mostly works fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

They don't, lorewise, actually reproduce via sex. They use their psychic powers to meld DNA or something and then create a new baby Asari using the combined DNA.

This does raise the question of why they are incredibly horny and gently caress a lot but the author's answer is "shut up"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Perestroika posted:

IIRC with the Asari there was a theoretical hook that

they were genetically engineered by the Protheans

to be easily able to ingratiate themselves to other species, at which point they could then be used as a proxy to manipulate them. But I don't think that every really went anywhere beyond background fluff.

I think this was true, but it was with the other even more ancient secret precursor race and the GEing was to have a whole species of biotics so they would have a better chance against the reapers.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Listen, with enough alcohol and lube, nothing is a problem when you put your (drunken) mind to it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't think that dialogue about the asari was ever meant to be some deep lore hook or anything, it was just there to communicate "the asari look hot to everyone because everybody can see a little of their own species in them." Not that they were psychically manipulating everyone into loving them.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ponzicar posted:

These were my assumptions about them as well when I played the first game. A race that exclusively looks like hot blue human women and were interfertile with every other species seemed incredibly suspicious and way too on the nose for the tone they were using. I guess that got left on the cutting room floor.

The tone is "90s space opera tv show in the general vein of Babylon Five or Deep Space Nine," having blue sex aliens is totally in keeping with that tone.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They don't, lorewise, actually reproduce via sex. They use their psychic powers to meld DNA or something and then create a new baby Asari using the combined DNA.

This does raise the question of why they are incredibly horny and gently caress a lot but the author's answer is "shut up"

I’ve got to rewrite everything now

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
remember when Fox News said the game 1's sex scene was the most hardcore sex scene to ever sex.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
iirc there was a sidequest where you could get drunk with an asari merc in a bar as she reminisced about her krogan bff/lover and after enough drinks she starts looking more krogan-y

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC the Mass Effect devs have said that one of their influences was Star Control 2 so I always assumed the Asari were at least somewhat influenced by the blue skinned psychically powerful all hot women alien race from that, the Syreen.

Although Bioware had a bit more restraint and didn't have the Asari fly around in a class of ship called the Penetrator that looks like a giant sex toy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Benagain posted:

iirc there was a sidequest where you could get drunk with an asari merc in a bar as she reminisced about her krogan bff/lover and after enough drinks she starts looking more krogan-y

The krogan was her dad. The bartender herself is Liara's second parent.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
If Asari actually did change shape with psychic manipulation they'd still have to take their real forms in photos and videos. It's just people projecting their own beauty standards.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The conversation about Asari looking like different races is three guys of different races talking about an Asari stripper at a bachelor party. I'm pretty sure they're just loving with the groom.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Bushmaori posted:

If Asari actually did change shape with psychic manipulation they'd still have to take their real forms in photos and videos. It's just people projecting their own beauty standards.

Even if someone goes really deep with it and assumes that it's some kind of permanent brainwashing that could even alter how someone perceives Asari through photos and videos, it still falls apart as soon as you consider the possibility of people on Earth who haven't been to space or encountered an Asari in person before, but still have access to all of the same media as someone living on the Citadel. Or that anyone could just, like... draw the version that they see.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the mass effect allows the cognito changes.

except the spoken and written language stuff, thats magic.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
they're all perceiving the same phenomenon but the human is focussing on her human looking titties bc they are bomb rear end titties by human standards, the turian is focussing on her head stalk things being absolute bomb rear end head stalk things by turian standards, the salarian is focussing on her healthy wet skin or whatever the gently caress, etc

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, if humans had 100% effective birth control since the dawn of our species (that psychic thing doesn't apparently result in kids unless they want to), and pretty much no STDs beyond a very rare genetic condition, how horny would we have evolved to be when there's not much downside? I mean, look at where we are now without those things *points at rest of Internet*. And judging by all the various species asari are willing to screw, they aren't even as picky as we are about appearance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC the Mass Effect devs have said that one of their influences was Star Control 2 so I always assumed the Asari were at least somewhat influenced by the blue skinned psychically powerful all hot women alien race from that, the Syreen.

Although Bioware had a bit more restraint and didn't have the Asari fly around in a class of ship called the Penetrator that looks like a giant sex toy.

The Syreen at least were clearly taking the piss, and there's a mention that the little green men had deliberately engineered them that way basically as a joke.

MadDogMike posted:

Hey, if humans had 100% effective birth control since the dawn of our species (that psychic thing doesn't apparently result in kids unless they want to), and pretty much no STDs beyond a very rare genetic condition, how horny would we have evolved to be when there's not much downside? I mean, look at where we are now without those things *points at rest of Internet*. And judging by all the various species asari are willing to screw, they aren't even as picky as we are about appearance.

And it actually makes more sense that a species where pretty much everyone is psychic empaths would be more interested in the intimate aspects of reproduction.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Stupid Awful app did me dirty.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The one time you can make Shepard homophobic is when Liara explains how the Asari work and a renegade option is “same sex relationships? Disgusting”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

bobjr posted:

The one time you can make Shepard homophobic is when Liara explains how the Asari work and a renegade option is “same sex relationships? Disgusting”

The funny part is that Asari society also disapproves of asari/asari relationships.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the asari/asari relationship thing bothers me because wouldnt that mean they all do asari/asari pairing before they invent space tech, unless the precursors just GE'ed them to be a fully functioning space civ?

or all animal life on the planet is fully intelligent and consenting.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it’s a bad franchise

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Would a bad franchise have won the 2012 Best RPG award at the Spike TV Video Game Awards?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

evidently

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

PhazonLink posted:

the asari/asari relationship thing bothers me because wouldnt that mean they all do asari/asari pairing before they invent space tech, unless the precursors just GE'ed them to be a fully functioning space civ?

or all animal life on the planet is fully intelligent and consenting.

They've had space travel for thousands of years (they had car equivalents 30,000 years before the games), and meeting new intelligent species is how they discovered that they can have babies with non-asari and "improve" their children by incorporating non-asari genetic information. Long enough for their culture to change and become based on it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Mass Effect rather efficiently sidesteps a lot of these questions with "the reapers did it." Why can the asari gently caress everyone? Why are all the galactic species on the same technological level despite evolving thousands of years apart? Why do 90% of the aliens have humanoid bodies despite vastly different planetary conditions? Because "by relying upon mass relay technology, our technology, you develop along the pathways we desire." It's pretty genius.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Star Control 3 did it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

why don't you reap some bitches