Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for July, 2017?
This poll is closed.
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 37 42.53%
:protogas: Jinder Mahal (WWE Champion) 10 11.49%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (WWE Women's Champion) 6 6.90%
:spergin: Cody Rhodes (ROH World Champion) 1 1.15%
:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion) 2 2.30%
Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) 1 1.15%
:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) 3 3.45%
:landy: Zack Sabre Jr (FORMER PWG World Champion) 0 0%
:haw: Chuck Taylor (PWG World Champion) 20 22.99%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (FORMER Impact Wrestling Champion) 2 2.30%
:sadcoke: Alberto Del Rio (GFW Global Champion) 1 1.15%
:sparkles: Naomi (Smackdown Women's Champion) 3 3.45%
:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:member: 'Member When We Had Good Champs? (None of the Above) 1 1.15%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month sanity prevailed, and Kazuchika Okada returned to the winner's circle for the third time in six months. It's been Okada's year so far as he has delivered MOTYC after MOTYC, but can he continue his winning ways through the second half of 2017?

As always, eligible Champions are mostly chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. There is no hard and fast rule for what qualifies as an "eligible" Champion because that way madness lies - we'd either have 4 poll options or 45. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Okada's magnificent year continued through July, which began with his defeat of Cody Rhodes at the G1 Climax Special. Since then, Okada has been an active participant in the G1 Climax tournament where he has put on good to great matches with Toru Yano, Michael Elgin, SANADA, Satoshi Kojima and Juice Robinson. Normally the Champ takes a bit of a back seat during these tournaments, but Okada and his title plays a vital, integral part here. Not only does the winner of the Tournament get a title shot at Wrestle Kingdom, but rivalries and rematch opportunities abound as even those who don't win the tournament have a chance to beat the Champ in a non-title match and get a title shot later down the road. Okada has won every match so far, but each time has been just that little bit harder, he's had to pull from just a little bit deeper inside of himself. Slowly but surely, Okada's aura of invincibility is being chipped away at, to the point that very good wrestlers are coming close to beating him. At his best, the only person who has come close to beating him this year is Kenny Omega but now Okada may be beginning to falter. His only saving grace may be that Omega is also having to go through the tournament grinder, and Omega HAS lost a match already. But there final night tournament match will be hugely important. Can Okada maintain his perfection? Will the grind finally bring him down, is he vulnerable? This is why Okada has been so fascinating to watch this year, part of why the G1 is so great, and why NJPW has been lauded for the quality of both its wrestling and its storylines. He's not everybody's favorite, of course, but whenver the question of who is the best Champion of the Month comes up, it's rare that Okada isn't a top contender.

:protogas: Jinder Mahal (WWE Champion) - Every PPV/title match, Jinder would have the same match - he gets beaten up, then the Singhs interfere and get beaten up by his opponent which gives him the chance to jump them from behind and win. Well that couldn't happen at Battleground because they'd have a Punjabi Prison match. Somehow, someway though he managed to have almost exactly that same PPV match happen despite the Prison. Randy beat up Jinder, the Singhs got in and interfered, Randy beat them up (and dropped one a loooooong way through a table), with the only difference being that when Randy tried to climb out of the prison to win the match and the belt, the Great Khali returned to stop him. I repeat, The Great Khali returned. Jinder climbed out, stopping only to enjoy the sight of Randy being choked by Khali, and retained his title.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (WWE Women's Champion) - At Great Balls of Fire, Alexa Bliss lost the match but retained her title in one of the worst ways possible, a deliberate count-out loss to Sasha Banks. Afterwards, she actively encouraged the rivalry between friends Sasha and Bayley to try and get them to take each other out. She was thrilled when Sasha lost to Bayley, mocking Sasha for losing while reminding everybody that she handily defeated Bayley back at Extreme Rules. Developing a partnership of sorts with Nia Jax (far friendlier at house shows), she hopes to injure/break down Bayley as much as possible before Summerslam and get another easy victory.

:spergin: Cody Rhodes (ROH World Champion) - Cody had probably the best match of his career at the G1 Climax Special in Long Beach at the start of this month, facing Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP Championship. He came up short in the end, and there were some complaints that this devalued the ROH World Title. But Cody has been getting a lot of buzz during his World Tour of dream matches, and his youth, talent and name value are likely to only be good things for ROH.

:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion) - All this month has been the build to Rey Mysterio vs Johnny Mundo, which has done a great job of selling just how big deal a match this is, how great Rey is and how good Johnny will need to be to beat him. Using his Worldwide Underground to try and get the edge, Mundo ended the month looking on the backfoot against Rey.

Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) - Brock successfully defended his title at Great Balls of Fire against Samoa Joe in a match that was fun but far too short. Brock hit the F5 on Joe to get the pin, but it was a match where Joe seemed to have the upper hand and Brock felt lucky to get away with the win. The rest of the month has been about finding a new foe for Brock at Summerslam, with Roman, Joe and Braun throwing their hats into the ring. Funnily enough, it was Joe's return that seemed to most unnerve Brock. With Brock allegedly looking for at least a one-off UFC return for a dream match against Jon Jones, the question now is whether WWE will get the title off of him quickly and who will be the one to get it. But maybe Brock will hold on, do a UFC fight, up his asking price in his contract negotiations and make even more millions. None of that matters for July though, it's his match against Joe and the build to Summerslam that matter.

:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) - Mayu defended against Yoko Bito at Korakuen hall. With the Mae Young Classic poaching many of the major threats to her title, Mayu's reign looks to bA Wild Io appears! With Io hot on her tails, will Mayu be known as a 2-month champion? Thanks to Senerio

:landy: Zack Sabre Jr (FORMER PWG World Champion) - While he's doing great things in NJPW, his 489 day reign in PWG came to an end as he lost the title in a near 30 minute match at Pushin Forward Back.

:haw: Chuck Taylor (PWG World Champion) - Chuck Taylor defeated ZSJ at Pushin Forward Back to gain the World Title. He has not defended it so far through July.

:anime: Bobby Lashley (FORMER Impact Wrestling Champion) - Bobby went into Slammiversary knowing that no matter what, he would be the last Impact Wrestling Champion as it was already announced the belts would be unified/rebranded with GFW's. In the end it didn't matter, as Lashley's reign came to an end when he was defeated by GFW Global Champion Alberto El Patron.

:sadcoke: Alberto El Patron (GFW Global Champion) - El Patron defeated Lashley to unify the Impact and GFW Belts, though regardless of winner the belt would have still been called the GFW Global Championship. Unfortunately for Alberto and GFW, he was quickly embroiled in a rather sad state of affairs as an altercation between himself and Paige at an airport saw him accused by Paige's family of long-running mental, emotional and physical abuse. El Patron was suspended by GFW, though not till AFTER they had sent out advertising heavily featuring him, plus they already had taped episodes in the can before the incident/his suspension, so their television wouldn't change in the slightest. Since then Paige has been charged with domestic battery and Alberto is no longer considered a suspect by Orlando Police. On televison, Alberto spent most of the month in a running battle with LAX, who first wanted him as a member, then tried to beat and blackmail him into joining, and now seem determined just to break him entirely.

:sparkles: Naomi (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Easily beating Lana in roughly 10 seconds near the start of the month in a rematch from Money in the Bank, Naomi was still waiting for a clear number one contender to her title. The rest of the women on Smackdown, sans Carmella who has the Money in the Bank briefcase, fought it out for that shot in a Fatal Five-Way at Battleground, where Nattie came out on top in the elimination match. Now both women are accusing the other of being disrepectful/a disgrace to women's wrestling. We won't know who proves the victor until Summerslam, however.

:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - YAMATO successfully passed a full year after beating the King of Gate winner T-Hawk at Dragon Gate's 19th Pro Wrestling Festival, getting his sixth Dream Key in the process. With that, he now has the third longest Dream Gate reign in company history, only trailing CIMA's mammoth 15 key and 574 day reign across 2011 to 2013, and Naruki Doi's 449 day 8 key reigns. In putting down T-Hawk, YAMATO debuted a new ultra finisher Ragnarok, where performs a reverse Air Raid Crash/Schwein. No clear opponent is on the books for YAMATO in August, but with the 5 Unit Survival Race underway, someone can easily take a fall from the Almighty and become the next challenger. Thanks to NotQuiteQuentin

:member: 'Member When We Had Good Champs? (None of the Above) - Oooooh, I 'member! If you long for bygone days of champs you wanted to vote for, or you just want to 'member what the current results are, or you want to 'member that time "None of the Above" won, then this is the option for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Voting Chuck Taylor who finally climbed the top of the mountain :unsmith:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Okada is too good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jinder or you're racist

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

Jinder or you're racist

Put your hatred of the Japanese behind you, flashy_mcflash!

In all seriousness, I just can't even consider anybody other than Okada. Forget the rest of the year, based purely on his (multiple!) matches in July alone he'd still be in my running for Champion of the Year. He's incredible.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This is the last time you can vote for the TNA champ. Vote Lashley.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Godspeed, single Naomi poster, I salute you :patriot:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I'm voting for Mayu this month, but I don't know if I'll vote for the STARDOM option again after this, considering their English PR team is a giant dumpster fire of immaturity, along with the fact that STARDOM management seemed perfectly fine letting talent do the Shibata headbutt stuff in another match.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Godspeed, single Naomi poster, I salute you :patriot:

I voted for Okada like any other sane person but the LED belt is enough to still make that vote tempting

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It was me, I'm the Naomi voter. I FEEL THE GLOW(ING BELT, mostly)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I thought with G1 season I'd vote for someone else but given the quality of matches he's had...Okada again

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

It was me, I'm the Naomi voter. I FEEL THE GLOW(ING BELT, mostly)

Solidarity, brother. Her glowing belt fuckin owns

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm looking forward to Baron Corbin and Carmella winning these polls when they cash in. But what if they cash in the same month?!?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mayu

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

achillesforever6 posted:

Yup.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Chuckie T had a good story and Okada will probably win the rest of the months while people will forget Dustin has the belt.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Had to vote Chuck Taylor, I love him so much.

But there's some drat good champions on the poll, and some good wrestling supporting them. I like how loveable goofball kentucky gentleman Taylor, no time for pants mundo, and greatest wrestler Okada are all on the poll at the same time :3

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Couple days in and Okada has a strong but far from insurmountable lead, and it's very pleasant to see his closest competitor is Chuck Taylor!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Couple days in and Okada has a strong but far from insurmountable lead

But enough about the G1! :v:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

But enough about the G1! :v:

Nice.

But there is never enough G1! ....well, except for when there is too much, but I haven't reached that point yet!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still time to vote if you haven't, it's still not technically outside the realm of possibility that Okada could be overtaken.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Chucky T probably won't win but he has improved a lot and deserves the pwg title

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
While I appreciate that Chucky T was finally able to afford some steroids and parlay that into a world championship, Okada continues to be the best wrestler on the planet.

At least, the best wrestler on the planet that isn't EVIL.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

At least, the best wrestler on the planet that isn't EVIL.

EVERYTHING is....... EVIIIIIIIIL!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was a lower turnout than normal, but the win was never really in doubt as Kazuchika Okada's amazing year continued into its second half and he won the Champ of the Month poll for the fourth time this year.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

• Locked thread