Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Part 18 is up now! It's time to push forward with the main story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Hey, insane criminals are put in entirely different kinds of facilities. A jail might house them in the same population, but not a prison. My immersion!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

RIP Pvt. Demon Statue. fffffffffffff

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CzarChasm posted:

That would kind of fit with the idea the Murphy is just some random schlub in another person's Silent Hill game experience.

Except I think the SH4 already beat downpour to the punch with that.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 18 is up now! This game is starting to wear on me a bit!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Probably a moot point, but the first number is right in the room where you get the UV light initially:

I can understand though why you missed it. Also I know it's probably super late, or maybe someone else told you, but you do know that you need to attack enemies on the ground to finish them off, right?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
EDIT: NVM

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

discworld is all I read posted:

Also I know it's probably super late, or maybe someone else told you, but you do know that you need to attack enemies on the ground to finish them off, right?

They don't want to finish them off, it'll get them a bad ending.

How many enemy types has this game had so far? Like four? Five if you count the Orb of Annihilation?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Anime Reference posted:

How many enemy types has this game had so far? Like four? Five if you count the Orb of Annihilation?
Ohhhh, that makes more sense. Sigh, I totally forgot the criteria for the endings since it's been a lifetime since I played this last.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anime Reference posted:

We've had screaming women, mannequin holograms, albino cave giants, shirtless dudes, uh... the Bogeyman and the orb, as you mentioned. I was sure there was at least one more but I can't think of it now.

Glancing at the wiki, including bosses the other games all have much more variety. Even including the wall bodies that spit gore at you, this game has six non boss enemy types. Homecoming had about eight non-boss monsters but they were all wildly different in their designs, from the Lurker with its crawling and claws to the Siam with its size and reach and the Schism which was a giant rear end in a top hat.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the lack of enemies was probably the biggest disappointment with Downpour, and the enemies that do exist aren't all that interesting. There are a couple of neat things that can happen, though, like the mutant women making the motions of rocking babies in their arms; I've been trying to get them to do that, but I think it's random, and it's definitely unnerving.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have we seen the burly guys and the knifemen before? I'm guessing not. I can kind of approve of saving them for the prison world, however this is going to turn out.

Also holy hell cop lady is stealthy. She got right on that boat and we didn't hear anything more than the safety clicking off.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Not Downpour specific, but a cool Silent Hill thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_oM9waKIM

If you don't have videos in posts turned on, this guy enables a free camera and no clip mode through some highlights of Silent Hill 2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the idea of the sidequests, because I like the idea of the location trying to help the main character become a better person before the story ends, it feels like Silent Hill is saying to Murphy "Look, you're here for a reason. Maybe remedy that?" It reminds me of the sidequests in Driver San Francisco because that game's sidestories were literally Tanners Subconscious saying "You're only hurting yourself with this obsessive loner crap, so before we wake up please can we try to be a better cop? Stopping Jericho will feel a lot better that way."

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 19 is up now! We get to the end of the game in this episode, and get the best ending that we can. We're planning on doing other endings for the next episode, and the joke ending in the near future; I just have to force myself to play through the entire game again to get that one.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Why did she say he was dead? Won't they be suspicious when there's no body to recover?

This game was really, really stupid.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

This game has a lot of interesting concepts but fails a lot at exploiting them.

And is also really really stupid.

E: Also needs more cat pics.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
That was...a thing. I don't get why it's portrayed as a good thing Murphy knifed the pedo but had Sowell actually kill him. It's not very virtuous to attack someone horrifically, but not have the stomach to finish them off. You're still the one who sliced them to the brink of death. And then he knew for years what happened to the other guard, but never told anybody? That's hardly a good deed.

On the LP side: Pete, you finally finally learned how to say something other than "Oh Jeeze" every time you're hit. Congrats. My suggestion for your next improvement is to stay quiet during cutscenes. You can share your reaction, just wait until it's finished, so you're not intruding in the middle. And yeah, a cat-cam is a must.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Domus posted:

That was...a thing. I don't get why it's portrayed as a good thing Murphy knifed the pedo but had Sowell actually kill him. It's not very virtuous to attack someone horrifically, but not have the stomach to finish them off. You're still the one who sliced them to the brink of death. And then he knew for years what happened to the other guard, but never told anybody? That's hardly a good deed.

I think the idea is that the prison was completely corrupt except for Frank. Frank had to write to an outside governing body to even get Sowell scared enough to want Frank killed. Murphy probably did tell someone, but either A) They didn't believe him because "cop killer" is not someone you tend to trust, or B) No one gave a gently caress because Sowell is in charge.

I did like the idea that both Murphy and Lady Cop were having parallel Silent Hill visits, but it makes me wonder. I only half remember the plots to some of the games in the series, Is it always "You have to learn the moral of the story, and then you can escape this fog shrouded hell hole, Scott free"?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 12, 2017

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

CzarChasm posted:

I did like the idea that both Murphy and Lady Cop were having parallel Silent Hill visits, but it makes me wonder. I only half remember the plots to some of the games in the series, Is it always "You have to learn the moral of the story, and then you can escape this fog shrouded hell hole, Scott free"?

It started out that way. But by 4, the moral of the story was "don't live in haunted apartments". There were messages about the importance of parents, but the main character had no issues beyond being a bit of an introvert.

I can buy that the whole prison was corrupt. Makes me wonder, what's the moral here? What story were they trying to tell, exactly? It's like they were trying to say something about revenge, but that seems to be Lady Cop's story, not Murphy's. Maybe they should have made that game instead.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 20 is up now! There's a rage-inducing twist toward the end of this episode that we didn't know about, so stay tuned for the final episode and the secret ending!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You have a really cute cat.

This game needed a little bit more polish.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 20 is up now! There's a rage-inducing twist toward the end of this episode that we didn't know about, so stay tuned for the final episode and the secret ending!
It's pretty ridiculous that killing enemies doesn't matter if you do the sidequests.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SIGSEGV posted:

You have a really cute cat.

This game needed a little bit more polish.

This game feels like a short story stretched to novel length. You could skip straight from the intro to the final cutscenes without losing anything.

I don't even really know what Murphy did wrong. Maybe killing the pedophile had unforeseen consequences because he had to help the crooked guard in return? You'd think Murphy and the good guard would have been able to take on one bad guard. What was the purpose of the postman, the DJ and Sater?

pedrovay2003 posted:

Seriously, dude, just link the other endings on youtube or something. This game is trash. It's not loving worth it.

And More fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 14, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cat-led Let Play's could have a future.

It's too bad playing the game again has ruined what you liked about it. I've done that a few times myself.

And More posted:

This game feels like a short story stretched to novel length. You could skip straight from the intro to the final cutscenes without losing anything.

I don't even really know what Murphy did wrong. Maybe killing the pedophile had unforeseen consequences because he had to help the crooked guard in return? You'd think Murphy and the good guard would have been able to take on one bad guard. What was the purpose of the postman, the DJ and Sater?

As much as fans like to speculate when it comes to Silent Hill I think it's pretty clear that Downpour didn't really have a writer.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 21 is up now, and by that, I mean that we made a two-minute video to see this sinking ship off! We didn't just want to leave you guys with nothing, so we made an outro to the series, with links to the other endings in the video description. We just didn't have the time or the patience to play through the entire game again, and I'm still not over the fact that you can play TOO WELL to get everything there is to get. Also, Amy had WAY too much fun with the editing here.

Thanks again to everyone who followed us throughout this journey, and we'll be back very soon with some Nocturne action!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Don't blame you for not going through the game on camera a second time.

Thanks for doing this game

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
We had fun playing it. :-D It's definitely not the game I thought that it was, but we got through it, so I'll call that a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah I definitely came back a lot colder on this game after seeing it a second time. It has major problems. Some good ideas here and there, so clever gimmicks, but not enough substance compared to the sheer volume of filler.

• Locked thread