Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sindai posted:

They really are like siblings and it's adorable.

It's a good thing they do because Aguri initially appeared set to be an annoying airhead character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
at least amano didn't get hyped up for star ocean iv

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

The Colonel posted:

at least amano didn't get hyped up for star ocean iv

Knowing how insanely mediocre it is and the whole episode punchline being about it was perhaps the funniest part for me.

At least he has great taste in a childhood defining RPG in two.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
All I'm saying is why are you watching this if you don't like Tendo

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 17, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tendo is a good girl! Chiaki is dumb but adorable and Aguri is best girl.

Tasuku is trash, but I still dig him.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

After Episode 11, Konoha is kind of obviously worst girl.

Also, I have no idea why Konoha was introduced with a monologue about how she's never as good as Tendou but then at no point after that does she even show a hint of recognition of who the hell Tendou even is.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tendo gettin' some whiplash there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I can't find who asked it on a quick glance at the replies, but someone was wondering why Tendou even likes Amano and I think it's because she over heard him defending her against Uehara when he went on his rant at Amano in episode 02. She wasn't particularly close, but Amano was shouting if I recall, so it's not unreasonable that she could have over heard and fallen for him because he was willing to stand up to a friend on her behalf. Certainly she was shown making hearts about him immediately afterward when Uehara passed her, and showed only interest but not love before that point if I recall. I think up to that point she was just stalking him to try and find a way to get him in to the club, since he rejected her for weird reasons even Amano had trouble explaining.

Kal-L posted:

Uh... no, he doesn't treat Tendo differently because of a romantic relationship. Hell, it isn't even a romantic relationship, unless your definition of romantic is "one party constantly says 'I'm not worthy!'".

Amano sees Tendo as an unreachable person he lucked out into going out with because he did it in public, and keeps saying that her going out with him is a "favor to him".

With Chiaki, he can have normal talks, and even disagreements. Whereas with Tendo it's all "Whatever you say, Ma'am!".

Amano sees Tendou as unobtainable and out of his league, questioning why she's with him but Tendou literally does the same thing with him. She constantly thinks he's about to break up with her, and daydreams about him, even finding being in his presence difficult for a while because she kept freaking out. That's where the whole "formal, military" thing came from: Tendou. She had difficulty talking to him, freaked out and got really formal. I think it's also underselling things a bit to say he "lucked out" in to dating her, since regardless of whether it was in public or not Tendou had no intention of refusing him and he didn't ask her to go out with him because it was in public. Originally he was only supposed to ask her to be friends with him, which he was already having problems building up the courage to do and it was his past experiences with her that made him instead ask her out on a date.

He can have normal conversations with Chiaka because he doesn't see her as a possible girlfriend: she's just Chiaki. If he started thinking of her in that regard he'd probably start getting more nervous and weird about the whole thing, same as with Tendou.

Angry Grimace posted:

After Episode 11, Konoha is kind of obviously worst girl.

I actually find her more endearing after this (and last) episode. Mostly because she seems to have dropped her crush on Amano completely and just wants to help her sister. She was actually even kind of mature about it, pushing Chiaka to make up her mind about what she wanted before any kind of chance slipped away. Sure, her goal would ultimately hurt Tendou, but Chiaki is her sister and that'll always come above some almost stranger, who she was initially set up as not even liking.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I really need to go back and watch the first episode but I remember it being pretty clear that Tendou liked Amano even before the bridge bit, it's just that it pushed her over the edge from mild crush to full-on stalker mode.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

madmac posted:

I really need to go back and watch the first episode but I remember it being pretty clear that Tendou liked Amano even before the bridge bit, it's just that it pushed her over the edge from mild crush to full-on stalker mode.

Yeah, the bridge bit was where Tendou got all googly-eyed about Amano. Before that, he was this guy who for some reason she was very insistent to join the club. Maybe we'll get some flashback where we see Amano was the one who awakened her gamer passion?

And while I still support Chiaki, I'll stop arguing about Tendou. A year ago, a friend and I were watching a romantic comedy while Netflix binging, and when the time came where the main dude ended up with his best lady-friend, I was glad while he argued that in the end the MC would go back to his old girlfriend.

So, I been wrong about fictional romantic pairings before. Hell, after the most recent episode, I wouldn't be surprised we get an Amano and Aguri pairing because they plan to make their partners jealous.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kal-L posted:

Hell, after the most recent episode, I wouldn't be surprised we get an Amano and Aguri pairing because they plan to make their partners jealous.

Those poor beds. :ohdear:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that was a pretty alright show

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah. Comedy was pretty good. Very cute and funny show.
Hoping there will be more in the future.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Goddamn, I thought they were gonna fully animate puzzle dude's chapter for a second. I was hoping they were gonna blow their budget on animating his chapter as an OVA

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That intro was by far the best part of the episode.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Aguri dropping some real fucken truth bombs this ep.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Colonel posted:

that was a pretty alright show

Wait...was that the last episode? That seemed very laid back and anti-climactic for a season (or series) finale.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Aguri dropping some real fucken truth bombs this ep.

I really enjoyed the discussion of DLC throughout the show, and how they tried looking at it from several different angles to explain the concept and it's value, along with that of gaming as a whole. It seemed unusually in depth, if a little romanticized for the show since it usually forgoes the gaming thing entirely to focus on relationships and only use the gaming subculture as a common interest without exploring it much. That, and Aguri's confusion at Hoshinomori's fish people DLC desire. Some good reaction faces this episode.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tsob posted:

Wait...was that the last episode? That seemed very laid back and anti-climactic for a season (or series) finale.

it's not like the show was ever building up to some big conclusion, they resolved basically everything a week ago

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wasn't expecting any big conclusions or revelations, I just imagined there'd be more drama at the very least.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah that didn't feel like the end. Still good though!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I looked up the source material a little ways back and it's an ongoing series with like 8 Light Novels in print so I wasn't expecting a conclusion.

Good show though, would definitely watch more if it ever continues.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wow this show got INCREDIBLY trashy in the last episode.

Let's just sit and leer at the naked girls in a hot spring for 15 minutes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. did you miss the show ending with a sexy guest artist endcard focusing on tendou's chest at the end of literally every episode

that scene was kind of hilarious though

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

It was like 5 minutes, and while certainly not shy on the lewds, they definitely played it for comedy by having hilarious dialogue the entire time they did those SAO-esque pans up and down.

Aguri loving buried them the entire episode. She basically gave up at the end, but she was right the entire time, especially about DLC. Thirsty Tendou had me rolling too.

Hopefully there's another season because it was definitely fun and played up most of the love triangle tropes for fun rather than drama.

madmac posted:

I looked up the source material a little ways back and it's an ongoing series with like 8 Light Novels in print so I wasn't expecting a conclusion.

Good show though, would definitely watch more if it ever continues.

Eh, they only covered something like 4 of them in this series and apparently it's getting sort of toward the end. If they actually make another season, I would expect the wait to be less than SNAFU or something, at least.

Edit: meaning, SNAFU (OreGairu)'s season 2 covered through Volume 11. Volvume 12 came out 10 days ago.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 29, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What a cute series. I hope there's a second season.

Angry Grimace posted:

It was like 5 minutes, and while certainly not shy on the lewds, they definitely played it for comedy by having hilarious dialogue the entire time they did those SAO-esque pans up and down.

Aguri loving buried them the entire episode. She basically gave up at the end, but she was right the entire time, especially about DLC. Thirsty Tendou had me rolling too.

Hopefully there's another season because it was definitely fun and played up most of the love triangle tropes for fun rather than drama.

Eh, they only covered something like 4 of them in this series and apparently it's getting sort of toward the end. If they actually make another season, I would expect the wait to be less than SNAFU or something, at least.

Edit: meaning, SNAFU (OreGairu)'s season 2 covered through Volume 11. Volume 12 came out 10 days ago.
I just hope we get at least another SNAFU OVA because goddammit, I want those three dorkos (and maybe Iroha) to be happy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Angry Grimace posted:

Tendou trying to listen in at the hot spring wall was fun, just for being an inversion of the usual trope where the male cast are trying to peep at the females. That said, I don't think any of the rest of the cast really disagreed with Aguri about the price given that every time she made a new point they all reacted badly to it; their defense was overly-flowery and romantic, but I think the basic point that they're okay with the price because the entertainment it offers is worth that price most of the time came through. Sure, it'd be nice if the price was lower, but they're willing to pay it and they get the value out of enough of them to put up with it basically. Which isn't far off the mark for many people really.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Aguri's comments about games were completely on the nose. What made me laugh the most though was that I was basically reacting with the others in more or less exactly the same way. I think every gamer knows that DLC is generally exploitive and trashy but we do jump through some awfully high hoops to justify it when it panders to our specific tastes.

Anyway, that was an enjoyable show, even if only the last episode out of the entire series was actually about games.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Nitrousoxide posted:

*Checks sub-forum name*

*See that the poster has an old-school anime avatar*

:confused:

It's a romantic comedy anime series. They are required by japanese law to have a hot-springs segment in each season.

I dig the intro the most. Rest of the episode was okay-ish, but there wasn't enough hilarious misunderstandings.

I liked how most of the comedy came from the cast being insecure and over-dramatic about themselves and their relationships, and how they all got along so well with each other so it's not far-fetched for them to think that any pairing could end up in a romantic relationship.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
The last episode was painfully boring, probably one of the more disappointing finales I've seen. It had a few moments, but for the most part the humor just wasn't there IMO.

Anyway, hoping we get a second season of this, because the rest of this show was lots of fun and I want more of these idiots

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let's be honest: Nothing beats Kakegurui as far as ":krad: show! Oh jeez, what a disappointingly bland ending :eng99:". (Classroom of the Elite was bland and boring the whole way through). Besides, this episode had an increasingly THIRSTY Tendou, and cute thirsty girls are a thing that needs to be more common.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Wark Say posted:

Let's be honest: Nothing beats Kakegurui as far as ":krad: show! Oh jeez, what a disappointingly bland ending :eng99:". (Classroom of the Elite was bland and boring the whole way through). Besides, this episode had an increasingly THIRSTY Tendou, and cute thirsty girls are a thing that needs to be more common.

Hrm. I enjoyed Kakegurui's ending a lot more than this; the gamble itself wasn't much to write home about, but the insane characters and reactions carried the show like they always did.

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 30, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the characters carried Kakegurui no doubt, and yeah, despite the boring game/gamble, the character interactions were fun (and cute, even! :3:). It was just that the ending was a massive letdown. Given that the previous episode / arc capped off the crazy with Glasses-kun getting owned so hard, his glasses get destroyed, he falls into a coma and his hair turns white from the trauma. Also, probably the craziest / most hilariously insufferable Sugita has sounded outside of Gintama or Symphogear.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

First off: really appreciate the spoilers for Kakegurui because I am one of those fools who decided to wait until netflix released it proper. I was following 14 series this season, not including drops so having one on the backburner didn't phase me. Thank you friends :shobon:

e: I don't mind knowing the ending was a let down, i'm prepared but don't know any details so its okay

As for the episode itself, it was the traditional onsen/beach/festival episode but seemed to be more of a(n accurate) critique of the game industry as it currently stands. It was an okay episode, but not an okay finale. That aside, I like these nerds and wouldn't mind seeing another season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The last episode was what feels like people initially thought (dreaded?) this series would be, with random conversations about gaming and fanservice, only to have the show unexpectedly pivot into a fantastic romcom, so it's amusing (to me) to see it complete its 360 back to the original assumed premise.

While clever to do this after establishing the characters and relationships, it ended up overloading Aguri's role awkwardly. I couldn't buy that it was her characters asking all the questions and making the moderated observations after all that happened, including her backstory.

Good show, but hard to recommend, 8/10.

• Locked thread