Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Welcome to Myst Online: Uru Live

On July 26th '17 Cyan Inc. reopened Myst Online: Uru Live (MOULa) for account creation. If you aren't familiar with the game, Uru Live is the MMO release of the singleplayer 2003 title Uru: Ages Beyond Myst. MOULa is known for having the best art direction of any game in the Myst series and looks very, very good for a game that is over 14 years old. Players in MOULa are tasked with exploring and solving giant, elaborate puzzles across many worlds. Like with all of the games in the Myst series, some of the puzzles can be very challenging and it is HIGHLY recommended that you don't seek out a walkthrough the first time you hit a wall. If you find yourself stuck, take a break or revisit a previously unsolved puzzle to see if you can come up with any fresh ideas. The solutions to each of the game's puzzles can be found without the aid of any outside resources, you just need to be observant. To experience this game in the most fulfilling way is to find that you have run out of ideas, only to revisit the problem later and discover the solution yourself.

For over a year, Cyan had disabled the new account creation feature on Uru, forcing players who had expired accounts to download private server versions of the game, which fragmented the community. Now, anyone can create a new account and start playing for free.

Visit the official Myst Online: Uru Live website HERE

Create an account by navigating the above website or click HERE

:siren: IT'S AN OLD GAME, YOU MAY BE REQUIRED TO DOWNLOAD AND EXTRACT SOME FILES SEPARATELY :siren:

If you are running the game on a 64-bit system, the launcher may tell you that you are missing a file called MSVCP71.dll - If that is the case, follow THIS LINK and download the missing file. Extract it to the game's primary folder.

If afterward you are told that you are missing D3DX9_27.dll or any other files, follow THIS LINK - Extract the files to a folder on your desktop, run DXSETUP.exe, then try running the launcher again. Test the game by starting the launcher again. If the game launches, go ahead and delete the folder you created on your desktop.

Got it? Good. Let's go solve some puzzles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
It's an interesting game. Not really my cup of tea but I do appreciate that it's still alive and kicking.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Feel free to ask questions about specific puzzles, but make sure to use SPOILER TAGS.

Even vague hints should be hidden. Thank you!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

So glad it's finally back up, I was seriously worried it was just gonna die a slow death, and I've been invested in this game for ages, I was even in the Uru Live Prologue way back when.

Are we expecting to see any new content get added finally? They've been promising that they have stuff in the 'pipeline' for a while now, and Obduction has been out for a while so they don't have to split their focus.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

I know for certain that Chogon hasn't been the only person tending to the game. With Obduction's release behind them, I'm pretty confident that they're going to finish what they started. The game has held up very well. The graphics are passable even for a game its age.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Flavor Truck posted:

I'm pretty confident that they're going to finish what they started.

What's left to be done? I played the offline version back in the day and loved it, didn't have the bandwidth for online at the time though and gave up after a few really laggy attempts.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Ossipago posted:

What's left to be done?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I may be crazy, but I think the two empty slots next to the City book were filled back in the To D'ni mini-expansion, and just don't exist in the online version because the links are unnecessary.

Speaking of single player, I haven't figured out the progression to get back to Myst since Uru Live came back. In PotS, you had to hold a button for a while, then walk the little shell path, then woosh it's off to K'veer, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to open that door anymore now that it's in a public space.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think they changed the puzzle for single player, because I vaguely remember something about getting someone else to stand on the button while you climb the little path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

If anyone wants help getting to K'veer, let me know and I can help you out.

• Locked thread