Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I heard recently that the immune system is thought to play some role in preventing the development of cancer. Specifically, that people who take drugs to weaken their immune systems after receiving transplants have a much higher rate of cancer than the general population.

I realize there's no proof that stronger immune system = less cancer, but I think it can't hurt to make sure my diet includes a consistent amount of foods and supplements that have proof or at least some evidence of being supportive of the immune system.

Is there anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
To my knowledge, there is exactly zero evidence that any food or supplement "supports the immune system.".

You want to dodge health problems? Cut down on sugars and red meat.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

The general sentiment about supplements is that unless you're specifically told by a doctor (who doesn't have a financial incentive otherwise) to take a supplement, don't bother.

I added that caveat because you should be skeptical of any physician or medical professional who hawks his or her nutritional supplements.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Your immune system does not really need 'boosts' in the sense that you (and most people) are imagining.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Ha! I know, it sounds incredibly ignorant, but I really am incredibly ignorant.

I don't really imagine a "boost" or anything at all, that's just the word I think of from years of seeing pseudohealthy foods sold, like organic "immunity boost" and "detoxing" smoothies you can find at some smoothie stores. I don't really know what to imagine, I had just guessed that immune health may work somehow like muscle, where if you want to encourage it then you should make sure you're getting at least a minimum amount of something that is used in it's creation (e.g., protein in the case of muscle).

I guess there's no known equivalent of protein for the immune system, or maybe the immune system is so complicated that "the immune system" is an oversimplifying way to look at it and there are so many components to it that it would be unlikely for any single thing to be discovered to "boost" it.

Thank you all for responding!

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

oliveoil posted:

Ha! I know, it sounds incredibly ignorant, but I really am incredibly ignorant.

*snip*

the immune system is so complicated that "the immune system" is an oversimplifying way to look at it and there are so many components to it that it would be unlikely for any single thing to be discovered to "boost" it.

Great talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
There are a few nutritional deficiencies (like zinc deficiency) that have been linked to immune deficiency in studies, but it's not really a situation where you can supercharge your immune system by loading up on those things. It's more a thing where either you're getting enough or you're not, and a typical balanced diet will provide adequate amounts for the vast majority of people with no need for supplements.

• Locked thread