Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I just found out that I have termites. I can see the termite poo poo in a pile on one side of my house. My house is about 15 years old. I do not know how bad the problem is until my first inspection comes.
My regular pest control guy does not do termites, but he did give me a bit of advice and I need to know if it is good advice.

He advised me of the usual approach to get multiple quotes and have have them bid for the job. But one thing he said struck me as interesting. The other option was to just go to Terminex and hope for a bad inspection. If I get a warranty and I find that there are places they missed at a later date then they are on the hook for re tenting and replacing any damaged wood that was not originally treated/inspected. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I also was advised by my know it all realtor brother in law to buy the chemicals and treat the visible area myself. But that sounds like a major mistake.

Which also brings up another question, if they find only one infected wall, is tenting necessary, is it a scam? Or is tenting the best way to go?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Have you considered fire and just burn the fuckers out?

Seriously, get the whole house tented and treated and follow up with chems, why risk it?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, believe me, I'm not here to only listen to answers I want to hear. If tenting is the way to go, then it will be done. I'm ready for it. I just want to know the nuances of it all from an expert. Some sort of guidance, it's going to cost around 2-3k.

Most importantly I need to know if these companies pay up if they miss something in their initial treatment and who I should go with.

I also want to make sure that my wife knows that her brother is an idiot as well.
I told her we should go with a big name because they won't be disappearing over night. She was put off by the local Terminex because it had nothing but bad reviews on yelp. There were 10 total reviews, all one star, over 7 years. To me that means they have many satisfied customers with some small vocal outliers. I loving hate yelp.

• Locked thread