Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My old place was small, my new place is both a lot bigger and the main rooms are all connected as one big hallway, so I am looking into getting an automatic vacuum. And I didn't see a thread, so I'm posting one.

The goal is simple: I need one to cover 3 rooms, all hardwood floor, and be able to hand pet hair. I want wifi connectivity so I can run it whenever and wherever. And obviously lower price the better.

The main ones I've seen so far are:
Roomba 960: $700, which is really out of my price range
https://www.pcmag.com/review/354698/irobot-roomba-960

Roomba 890: $500
http://robotic-vacs.com/2017/07/18/roomba-890-review-great-budget-vacuum-wifi/

Roomba 690: $375
https://www.allhomerobotics.com/roomba-690-review-youll-love/

Neato Botvac D5: $500
https://www.pcmag.com/review/355133/neato-botvac-d5-connected

So unless the 960 is that big of a difference, I'm leaning towards either the 890 or D5 , and so far the 890 seems better.

I'm thinking they'll be a promo between now and Black Friday, so for whatever I decide I'll likely wait to see when one gets a discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its more work to clean the drat things then it is to just sweep every few days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Its more work to clean the drat things then it is to just sweep every few days.

Really? I thought it was just pull cartridge, dump, put back. How much worse can it be?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Duckman2008 posted:

Really? I thought it was just pull cartridge, dump, put back. How much worse can it be?

poo poo like hair gets all twisted in the rollers.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
What Don Lapre said. The newer, nicer models handle it better, but if you have pets you will still most likely find the cartridge capacity is grossly insufficient for furry shedding creatures.

The money you'd spend to trade "actively pushing a manual vacuum" for "continually emptying a robot vacuum that vacuumed part of one room" would buy a hell of a nice bagged vacuum. (Bagless models typically have the same capacity problems as the robot vacs, and as an added bonus, the lovely emptying mechanism on non-Dyson bagless vacuums (a) generally puts your hand in or near the filth you're emptying, and (b) often requires you to manually remove clumps of dirt and pet hair.)

If you have a smallish short-haired wire-haired animal, then you might get away with a Roomba or Neato.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 15, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Use a microfiber dry mop to push all of the dust into a corner. Vacuum up that corner and the mop.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Molten Llama posted:

What Don Lapre said. The newer, nicer models handle it better, but if you have pets you will still most likely find the cartridge capacity is grossly insufficient for furry shedding creatures.

The money you'd spend to trade "actively pushing a manual vacuum" for "continually emptying a robot vacuum that vacuumed part of one room" would buy a hell of a nice bagged vacuum. (Bagless models typically have the same capacity problems as the robot vacs, and as an added bonus, the lovely emptying mechanism on non-Dyson bagless vacuums (a) generally puts your hand in or near the filth you're emptying, and (b) often requires you to manually remove clumps of dirt and pet hair.)

If you have a smallish short-haired wire-haired animal, then you might get away with a Roomba or Neato.

Gotcha. I already have a Dyson I got a few years back that works great, so this isn't a "I need a new vacuum, mine is broken" scenario. It's a "this would be nice to have" scenario.

So yeah, this could be going on the back burner if that is the review. Here, have a picture of the cats that cause me to have to vacuum. The one on the right is a long haired one, so his hair is loving everywhere.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Its hardwood, just get a sweeper.

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
They are fine machines. It depends on your aversion to vacuuming/sweeping. For some people it's enjoyable to vacuum, others (like me) detest the chore and would be happier doing other jobs. Pulling an electronic device apart once a month and giving it a little overhaul is far superior to vacuuming, personally.

There are some catches: it will not do black carpets/rugs. It sees the dark spots as "nothing" and its stair sensors kick in and tell it to avoid. We have this round rug in our living room, brown in the middle and black on the edges. It refuses to clean the rug. If you pick up the unit and put it on the brown spot in the middle, it is effectively "trapped."

It can get snagged in crevices and stuck. It will chew on exposed cables if it manages to crawl on top of them. The invisible walls that the Roomba come with help with that (or blocking the path with any solid thing).

If you have pets, and they poo on the floor, and the robot comes by before you clean up the mess... man just. Woo. Don't go there. Google "Roomba dog poo" for some real horror scenes. Basically, you'll want to do a quick visual assessment of the room... loose cables? Poop/pee/barf? Get that taken care of before letting your robot maid loose. If you have pets and you use the auto-scheduler to run your cleaning robot at a certain time every day, you are running a higher risk of this disaster scenario.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Gotcha. I already have a Dyson I got a few years back that works great, so this isn't a "I need a new vacuum, mine is broken" scenario. It's a "this would be nice to have" scenario.

Yeah, I feel you. My partner and I have a German Shepherd mix and my parents have a pair of floofy long-haired cats. "This would be nice to have" has led to trying robovacs in both households several times.

I am unenthusiastic about the daily tumbleweed patrol, but our robotic overlords have failed to deliver.

Which is disappointing, because nothing would amuse me more than sticking some giant googly eyes on a Botvac that magically cleans my floors.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've had one for a few years now, probably won't go back to not owning a robotic vacuum at any point. It's great to come home to cleaner floors and a little warm roomba charging away in the corner, the upright vac gets about a tenth of the use it previously enjoyed.
We have a couple of cats and long haired humans, hair buildup isn't enough to worry the unit much, definitely don't need to do weekly roller defoliation. Sometimes we find it sadly beeping after getting a sock stuck in the rollers but that's the worst I've needed to deal with.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I had the fancy wifi Roomba from Hammacher Schlemmer for the return policy. I ended up returning it after three months and buying a Miele C1 canister vacuum.

The Roomba was fine wth our two dogs on hardwood, but choked on a medium pile carpet. The battery would run down and it just wouldn't clean.

If I take our our carpet and go to hardwood only, then I would probably get another one. Our hardwood stayed cleaner since they were cleaned every day, and we had to make sure the floor was cleaned up so the Roomba would work. But I'm much much happier with the job the Miele does, and running the floor attachment over the hardwoods is super easy, and does a great job.

Edit: One of my dogs is some kind of shepherd mix so has those big tufts of hair that shed all spring. If your dog only loses fine, individuals hairs, your results may vary.

Tewdrig fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 2, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I have no pets and have no intention of ever getting a pet; I also have no carpet. Will a Roomba work for me?

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Argue posted:

I have no pets and have no intention of ever getting a pet; I also have no carpet. Will a Roomba work for me?

Yes, you're the ideal situation provided your floor isn't black, you don't have chords running all over your floor, or you have stairs in your house.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I have black tile in my kitchen and my Eufy (cheap, like $200 on Amazon) works fine on it...

I like it better than vacuuming. I can do other stuff while it goes. I do have a long-haired dog and cat though. So I have the empty the canister before it finishes, but it's not a big deal at all.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I have a Eufy Botvac and a Roomba 790 and I like the Eufy a lot more. It is much quieter, smaller, and does a great job for what I need it to do. It is more basic (no wifi, but it does have scheduling that you can program with the remote) but it is also a fraction of the price. I have two dogs and two cats and it keeps up with them pretty well.

Friend fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 5, 2017

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I hate vacuuming and therefore like my roomba. I think the one I have is a 690

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just got a Deebot N79 on sale and it's very nice. Even came with a cleaning tool that cuts hair wrapped around the roller. I do a quick visual sweep of the apartment in the morning and it does it's thing. We love it.

• Locked thread