Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, so, a couple days ago I got a wild hair up my rear end and went "I wonder who the guy who yelled 'MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAT' in that song was"

You know, that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

So I looked it up and it turns out this is a weird loving rabbit hole, so I'm asking for the aid of goons on this one, because c'mon. As soon as you read "MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAT" that goddamn song popped into your head. It's possibly one of the most iconic yells in all of video gaming, even if it's not even technically from the game. Even if the guy who yelled it did only that and then dropped off the face of the Earth, he deserves some kind of commemoration for screaming the title of Mortal Kombat at the top of his lungs. If the people who first recorded the Amen break can get their due, so should that guy.

WHAT I KNOW SO FAR

The first known usage of the scream is in the "Mortal Monday" commercial, released in 1993. By all appearances, the usage of the scream in all works by The Immortals is sampled from this commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eBn1z7i2u4
(scream comes in at around 54 seconds)

A different scream is heard earlier in the video, which raises two possibilities. The first is that it's the earlier scream, performed by the guy shown on-screen in the video, pitched down. The second is that it's an entirely different voice actor, overdubbed on top. This would mean that the key would be to find whoever produced the commercial and ask them.

However, there's another possibility that complicates things. The music heard in the commercial, while an unknown track, kind of resembles the track "Hypnotic House" by The Immortals a bit (this track was also available on the Sega CD version as a secret bonus). This raises the possibility that it was either Maurice Engelen (working under the alias of Praga Khan) or Olivier Adams who recorded the scream. I've attempted to get in contact with the latter, but to no success, so I'm thinking this is possibly a dead end.

Does anyone have any idea who I should ask here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Very interesting topic so I decided to do my own digging as well.

I did a google search for "guy who screams mortal kombat" and this was the eighth search result: "Tom Hanks yells MORTAL KOMBAT in the theme song"

So it looks like it was Tom Hanks

Caros
May 14, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

However, there's another possibility that complicates things. The music heard in the commercial, while an unknown track, kind of resembles the track "Hypnotic House" by The Immortals a bit (this track was also available on the Sega CD version as a secret bonus). This raises the possibility that it was either Maurice Engelen (working under the alias of Praga Khan) or Olivier Adams who recorded the scream. I've attempted to get in contact with the latter, but to no success, so I'm thinking this is possibly a dead end.

Does anyone have any idea who I should ask here?

Googling their super ancient website, it looks like The Immortals first work on anything to do with Mortal Kombat directly was the film, so it is unlike they were used in the advert.

Best guess is that it is the second guy from the advert, in which case you're trying to find an extra from a cheesy commercial over two decades after the fact. So... uh... good luck with that.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
You try asking Boon on twitter?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its me

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Traci Lords.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vakal posted:

You try asking Boon on twitter?

I did, but I haven't managed to get a response out of him. He'd seem like the obvious person to ask, but he also seems fairly busy.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
You might have made Boon look for the guy too.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
How random. Good hunting O.P

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
probably this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRLh41kvl5M

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What about the guy who originally said "RESIDENT EVIL", with honorable mention to "RESIDENT EVIL...... TWO......"?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Forward this tip to Tosh.0. He'll find the (now old) guy in some retirement community, and make him yell it again at the top of his lungs to regain his glory days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought it was Barney from Napalm Death. Didn't he do music for the movie ?

• Locked thread