Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sallador is my only hand card (1) + Knight (2) + Support from Shipbreaker Bay and Blackwater Bay (3)

I assume Stark just plays Roose?

Yup, the Roose is Loose.

Retreat to Harrenhall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Map update

Available house cards:

House Stark:
[4] Eddard Stark: 2 Swords
[3] Robb Stark: If you win this combat, you may choose the area to which your opponent retreats. You must choose a legal area where your opponent loses the fewest units.
[2] Roose Bolton: If you lose this combat, return your entire House card discard pile into your hand (including this card).
[2] Greatjon Umber: 1 Sword
[1] Ser Rodrik Cassel: 2 Fortifications
[1] The Blackfish: You do not take casualties in this combat from House card abilities, Combat icons, or Tides of Battle cards.
[0] Catelyn Stark: If you have a Defense Order token in the embattled area, its value is doubled.

House Lannister:
[4] Tywin Lannister: If you win this combat, gain two Power tokens.
[3] Ser Gregor Clegane: 3 Swords
[2] The Hound: 2 Fortifications
[2] Ser Jaime Lannister: 1 Sword
[1] Tyrion Lannister: You may cancel your opponent's chosen House card and return it to his hand. He must choose a different House card to reveal. If he has no other House cards in his hand, he cannot use a House card this combat.
[1] Ser Kevan Lannister: If you are attacking, all of your participating Footman (including supporting Lannister footmen) add +2 combat strength instead of +1.
[0] Cersei Lannister: If you win this combat, you may remove one of your opponent's Order tokens from anywhere on the board.

House Baratheon:
[4] Stannis Baratheon: If your opponent has a higher position on the Iron Throne Influence track than you this card gains +1 combat strength.
[3] Renly Baratheon: If you win this combat, you may upgrade one of your participating Footmen (or one supporting Baratheon Footman) to a Knight.
[2] Ser Davos Seaworth: If “Stannis Baratheon” is in your discard pile, this card gains +1 combat strength and a sword icon
[2] Brienne of Tarth: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
[1] Melisandre: 1 Sword
[1] Salladhor Saan: If you are being supported in this combat, the combat strength of all non-Baratheon Ships is reduced to 0.
[0] Patchface: After combat, you may look at your opponent's hand and discard one card of your choice.

House Greyjoy:
[4] Euron Crow's Eye: 1 Sword
[3] Victarion Greyjoy: If you are attacking, all of your participating Ships (including supporting Greyjoy Ships) add +2 to combat strength instead of +1.
[2] Theon Greyjoy: If you are defending an area that contains either a Stronghold or a Castle, this card gains +1 combat strength and a sword icon.
[2] Balon Greyjoy: The printed combat strength of your opponent's House card is reduced to 0.
[1] Asha Greyjoy: If you are not being supported in this combat, this card gains two Sword icons and one Fortification icon.
[1] Dagmar Cleftjaw: 1 Sword, 1 Fortification
[0] Aeron Damphair: You may immediately discard two Power tokens to discard Aeron Damphair and choose a different House Card from your hand (if able).

House Tyrell:
[4] Mace Tyrell: Immediately destroy one of your opponent's attacking or defending Footmen units.
[3] Ser Loras Tyrell: If you are attacking and win this combat, move the March Order token used into the conquered area to resolve again later this round.
[2] Ser Garlan Tyrell: 2 Swords
[2] Randyll Tarly: 1 Sword
[1] Alester Florent: 1 Fortification
[1] Margaery Tyrell: 1 Fortification
[0] Queen of Thorns: Immediately remove one of your opponent's Order tokens in any area adjacent to the embattled area other than the March Order token used to start this combat.

House Martell:
[4] The Red Viper: 2 Swords, 1 Fortification
[3] Areo Hotah: 1 Fortification
[2] Obara Sand: 1 Sword
[2] Darkstar: 1 Sword
[1] Nymeria Sand: If you are defending, this card gains a fortification icon. If you are attacking, this card gains a sword icon.[/s]
[1] Arianne Martell: If you are defending and lose this combat, your opponent may not move his units into the embattled area. They return to the area from which they marched. Your own units must still retreat.
[0] Doran Martell: Immediately move your opponent to the bottom of one Influence track of your choice.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 1, 2017

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
March footman and siege from Pyke to Lannisport. Attacking with strength of 6.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Greyjoy attack at Lannisport, strength 6 vs. 3.
Greyjoy plays:
[1] Asha Greyjoy: If you are not being supported in this combat, this card gains two Sword icons and one Fortification icon.
Lannister plays:
[2] Ser Jaime Lannister: 1 Sword
Final strength 7 vs. 5. Greyjoy victory.. Lannister retreats to Searoad Marches.

Tyrell to play.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 1, 2017

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
If I have the option, I'll keep one boat in the port. Otherwise just destroy both.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FACKER posted:

If I have the option, I'll keep one boat in the port. Otherwise just destroy both.

Keeping one boat is entirely allowed.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
March on Sunspear

Combat Strength 2

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Tyrell attack against Martell at Sunspear. Combat strength 2 vs. 3.
Tyrell plays:
[4] Mace Tyrell: Immediately destroy one of your opponent's attacking or defending Footmen units.
Martell plays:
[4] The Red Viper: 2 Swords, 1 Fortification
Mace activates to destroy the Martell Footman. Final combat strength 6 vs. 6. Tyrell victory. The Martell garrison is permanently removed from the game, and the routed Martell units are destroyed.

Lannister to play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
March 2x footmen Stoney Shore to Riverrun

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Lannister attacking with strength of 2. Greyjoy defending with strength of 4. Lannister must use Kevan as last card which gives strength of 5 overall. Greyjoy must use Dagmar as last card for a strength of 5.
Greyjoy victory.
Both houses get their hands refreshed minus this last played card.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think it's my turn? March Shivering Sea fleet southward. Combat Strength 3 vs. Baratheon 4.

Edit because I'm making decisions at 3am over here.

ETB fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 1, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Stark attack against Baratheon at the Narrow Sea. Strength 3 vs. 4.
Stark plays:
[1] The Blackfish: You do not take casualties in this combat from House card abilities, Combat icons, or Tides of Battle cards.
Baratheon plays:
[4] Stannis Baratheon: If your opponent has a higher position on the Iron Throne Influence track than you this card gains +1 combat strength.
Final strength 4 vs. 9. Baratheon victory. Stark ships retreat.

Baratheon to play.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 1, 2017

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Seeing that the Starks have failed in their duty as Guardians of the North and ceded Flint's Finger and soon Moat Cailin to the reavers of the Iron Isles, King Stannis presses north, determined to give Eddard Stark to the fires of the Red God.

Meanwhile, rather than reinforcing the beleaguered King's Landing, Renly dips his banners to the Tyrell host in the Reach and begins negotiating a marriage pact.

March 2 ships to shivering sea

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Baratheon attack against Stark at the Shivering Sea. Strength 3 vs. 0.
Baratheon plays:
[1] Melisandre: 1 Sword
Stark plays:
[2] Greatjon Umber: 1 Sword
Final strength 4 vs. 2. Baratheon victory. Stark ships were routed so they are destroyed.

Greyjoy to play.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Tyrell is currently sitting on 6 castles, and has a March order in The Reach, with King's Landing being empty. I'm going to call the game. Greyjoy came really close, but alas plays later in the turn, and will end the game at 6 castles.

Tyrell established dominance over Westeros, and has won the game.

Congrats to Mikey Purp, and thank you everyone for playing! I hope you all had fun. After the other table finishes playing, I might start a new game, which I'll make sure to announce in the main board games thread.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Good game Tyrell. At least an ally won and not those stupid squid punks.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Better Roses than loving Stags.

Great game, everyone. :unsmith:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Paid too high a price for sea dominance I guess. Well played, all.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, so this game is over; I'd appreciate some feedback on fixing the imbalance in the game. With the foreword that I've seen too many balance "fixes" in games that were too forceful and just created new problems.

I think it's safe to accept that the extra Lannister Footman stays. Some people think Greyjoy access to Riverrun should be limited, for instance by shifting the Ironman's Bay sea border so it's no longer adjacent, but that seems way too big a change for me. Riverrun is an important Stronghold and without a sea border Greyjoy is almost entirely cut off. Maybe change Seagard to be only a Castle?

Balon could stand to be nerfed. A change I can entirely get behing is swap the strengths of Balon and Asha, which would also more accurately represent how bad-rear end Asha is.

Instead of nerfing Greyjoy, one might also buff Lannister, but I'm not sure how. I welcome ideas.

Finally, it's by far not as bad as Lannister, but Martell, and maybe Stark are also slightly weak. A tiny buff to Martell would be swapping the strengths of Doran and Arianne. You want to lose Arianne when losing anyway, and this makes Doran a little bit of a threat, making it more likely that you will win the fight *and* get the activation. I'd also like to give Darkstar or Obara some card text, so that they're not entirely identical (same applies to the Tyrell 1 and 2 cards).

Suggestions or comments are welcome. The workload of two concurrent games was a bit too much, but if I'm only running one game at a time, I might do it for quite some time, so I could iterate to eventually get a solid ruleset (though I really don't want it to get as insane as the BSG ruleset floating around these forums... )

Dancer fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 2, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Apparently a lot of game theory says that Greyjoy and Lannister should team up instead of fight. Lannister can usually delay greyjoy enough to deny them the win even though he's totally boned (Bonewayed?) himself.

Stark is actually the most powerful House already imo.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 2, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I think Stark has a big spike later in the game, after they've farmed the north for a bit, but I've yet to see anyone make a convincing case that they're legitimately the strongest. Maybe they're "hidden OP" because Greyjoy steals the limelight. I'm okay keeping Stark unchanged I think. Also Baratheon (they get an earlier powerspike, but then they have more fronts open).

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lannister would really like to have Arianne's ability on Cersei. The problem with Cersei is how often is Lannister in a position to win with a zero?

I think Cersei should maybe be buffed to work more like Doran: remove a token regardless of who wins, but only if you are defending. It would be great if that ability took effect immediately like Queen of Thorns but that's maybe too good.

Martell is a tricky house to win with. A lot of their strategy comes from having a ton of swords. If you want to keep to the attrition theme: have Obara be like a mini-Mace and kill a footman but only after the battle is resolved?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 2, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Another thing that would be interesting though I don't know where it would fit is a house card that robs someone else's power token... did Arryn have something like that in the expansions?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

yronic heroism posted:

Apparently a lot of game theory says that Greyjoy and Lannister should team up instead of fight. Lannister can usually delay greyjoy enough to deny them the win even though he's totally boned (Bonewayed?) himself.

That was my take on starting as Lannister and the strategy I went with. I knew I couldn't beat him so my only real play was to make him use his best cards fending me off and keep him from expanding out more.

The extra footman in Stoney didn't feel meaningful because it helps in the place farthest from Greyjoy. it can really only help defend Lannisport but even then you have to waste a lot of orders to hold, hurting your ability to actually make progress. An extra ship or Footman on Lannisport would make things a lot more interesting.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Extra ship might help too much. Greyjoy has no stars to start with. Lannister can build another two with CP* and possibly roll over Greyjoy in a couple turns.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

yronic heroism posted:

Extra ship might help too much. Greyjoy has no stars to start with. Lannister can build another two with CP* and possibly roll over Greyjoy in a couple turns.

Sounds good to me :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
After having done some more reading, the benefit of that extra Footman is allowing you to split your march from Stoney Sept. In the base game you either go to Riverrun (and probably lose it), or you do some other thing. In this game you can send just one of your two Footmen there, go somewhere else as well, and still force Greyjoy to burn a card on the Footman. Maybe, with that in mind, a change could be to exchange the sizes of Riverrun and Harrenhal. So round 1 Greyjoy can relatively easily take the castle in Riverrun, but you mantain control of a Stronghold in Harrenhal.

• Locked thread