Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Great game Captain Foo - nice job whipping people in shape to get such a fast turnaround. Was very well run!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GenericGirlName posted:

playing as scum always feels easier for me because i get irrationally angry when im town and people suspect that im not.

:same: :yeah: :agreed:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also yeah for future reference, the norm is:
- doctors and other protective roles can (almost) never target the same person 2x in a row
- doctors and other protective roles can rarely (like 50/50) target themselves

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

GenericGirlName posted:

I realized that I did not know the flavor of the doctor role and if you were lying when you said you couldn't protect 2penny twice and I just entirely had no idea what to do.

This is what I was hoping for and implying to Podima!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Playing scum was definitely harder in a way for me, maybe more because I am a newbie. Specifically I had trouble faking being invested in figuring out who is scum. :shobon:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's ALWAYS the scum difficulty, faking your reads. I wasn't repeating that throughout the game for nothing, haha!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

Playing scum was definitely harder in a way for me, maybe more because I am a newbie. Specifically I had trouble faking being invested in figuring out who is scum. :shobon:

That's the whole crux of the game!

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Podima posted:

Hahahaha :rip: as a fellow WFHer, I get it. Sorry for roasting you over that, it HAS caught scum before!

Nah I think its a fair choice when my NKs made no loving sense. Also if I HAD been able to post during the second half of day one I probably wouldn't have because I get paralyzed with fear of bad posting. I also might have been super busy with work that day and really mad about work and went out to drink at exactly 5pm when work was over and then remembered I was in a mafia game at literally 5:59 ET, gently caress.

Podima posted:

Also yeah for future reference, the norm is:
- doctors and other protective roles can (almost) never target the same person 2x in a row
- doctors and other protective roles can rarely (like 50/50) target themselves

I was on two mafia wikis and furious that no one said which was preferred more of the time lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

That's the whole crux of the game!

Oh yeah I knew that going in, but I didn't appreciate how difficult it would actually be doing the research to build a case against "scum" when you know they aren't scum all while keeping people off you and your scum buddy's trail. :)

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Podima posted:

That's ALWAYS the scum difficulty, faking your reads. I wasn't repeating that throughout the game for nothing, haha!

Podima posted:

this might out me as a massive nerd but I made a spreedsheet of D1 and D2 and summarized all important posts and then reread it from the POV of being townie and trying to decide who was scum, including coac. Noted my thoughts, and then reread it and made a list of ""least scummy"" to ""most scummy"". Then I made my NKs NOT kill anyone I thought was "least scummy". which is why in the end I had 2penny and podima, the two LEAST scummy people imo, plus me and merk. idk how ridiculous that actually sounds lol.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

GenericGirlName posted:

this might out me as a massive nerd but I made a spreedsheet of D1 and D2 and summarized all important posts and then reread it from the POV of being townie and trying to decide who was scum, including coac. Noted my thoughts, and then reread it and made a list of ""least scummy"" to ""most scummy"". Then I made my NKs NOT kill anyone I thought was "least scummy". which is why in the end I had 2penny and podima, the two LEAST scummy people imo, plus me and merk. idk how ridiculous that actually sounds lol.

The mafia chats between you two were insane! Also lol at your talking about having to hammer coac. Reminded me of The Sopranos, Tony smothering Christopher in the final season.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Haha. I really wanted to make sure the doc got shared bc i wrote so many words i think other should suffer through reading them. I killed my only friend in this lovely town..... :( im still sorry Cold on a Cob!!!!!!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GenericGirlName posted:

Hah NICE. Unfortunately I think this owned you - you want to kill the least scummy people as scum, because that gives you a more solid endgame. Near the end I would have never killed 2penny, and I suspect vice versa.

That being said, if you had had just a little more mafia experience to recognize doctor mechanic norms, the game was yours by managing to push a merk mislynch (not that he helped discourage it) - so as far as I'm concerned, you earned a technical win. Well done!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
No worries I knew I'd screwed up by rambling too much early on, though I still stand by going hard on merk (i actually assumed he would last long so people would suspect him more for it).

It was definitely the right move to get me once the town went after me, and I only wish I'd gone a bit harder on you (GGN) earlier to throw off suspicion a bit more.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
gg

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
my only regret was getting hammered while i was asleep :(

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

flerp posted:

my only regret was getting hammered while i was asleep :(

You cheered scum on and I will never forgive you.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GenericGirlName posted:

if Im going to win then winning by killing podima would be cool as gently caress. but if I lose trying to kill podima then it makes the sting better because you were a good opponent.

:agreed:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Podima posted:

You cheered scum on and I will never forgive you.

scum need support 2

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

On the wholei think that was a good solid fun game of Mafia.

One tactic that came up that I think is bad, though: don't meta the mod. I hated seeing it in Shine and hate it here. All in all a great time though!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I was CONVINCED that Podima was scum. Lol

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

On the wholei think that was a good solid fun game of Mafia.

One tactic that came up that I think is bad, though: don't meta the mod. I hated seeing it in Shine and hate it here. All in all a great time though!!

yeah thats always dumb

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I'm not playing dumb here; what do you(foo) mean by that?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
This was a fun game to read and I hope that all the newbies stick around :)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GenericGirlName posted:

I'm not playing dumb here; what do you(foo) mean by that?

It was the post Mord made earlier saying "the mod must have made at least one of the veteran players scum!" which, as you can see, was not the case.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Or, in the shine case, someone posted something to the effect of "well podima would never have given [some sort of info] in the role pm"

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CoaC you son of a bitch

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

CoaC you son of a bitch

:murder:

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Oh okay I can absolutely see how that's lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Murmur Twin posted:

This was a fun game to read and I hope that all the newbies stick around :)

:agreed:

• Locked thread