Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

When I first saw this show pop up on my netflix homepage I had no idea what it was, was it a documentary? Is it a Final Fantasy XIV show that takes place in the world of the game? Is it a Japanese drama about the father and son relationship? I had to watch the pilot to get some answers. And god drat, I got my answers and I'm hooked on it.

Here is the premise of the Netflix original from IMBD:

quote:

A son tries to reconnect with his father by secretly interacting with him in the fantasy MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) 'Final Fantasy XIV.'

Since the entire first season is available on Netflix right now, be mindful of spoilers please. I implore everyone who is/was interested in Final Fantasy or gaming in general to give this show a shot, there is a lot of material here as well for non-gamers to appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I just started the second episode, and I think it's pretty charming and fun so far. The in-game stuff is neat and actually quite accurate. Some stuff is obviously done for the sake of the show, but as a XIV player, I'm impressed how faithful they kept it.

I got a good laugh out of "Indy Jones" and "aaaaaaaaaaaaa"

EDIT:
Okay yeah, this show does really understand the game. It's fantastic.
Dad's already wanting to do dress up for his character.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 2, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

netflix is so bad now.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I binged it last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. There's enough here that you don't need to know the first thing about the game to follow the story, but if you do play, you'll pick up on so much more.

I cracked up when, after the dad almost quits the game, the main character vents his anger by punching on a training dummy while screaming "YOSHIDAAAAA!!!"

It's also neat that all the in-game scenes completely use game assets. All characters, outfits, emotes, locales, and whatnot are just what you'd see in the game, without anything being worked up specially for TV.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

netflix is so bad now.

it was never good

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Having a commercial product as a main character in a TV show/movie seems really weird. Replace Final Fantasy with like Mountain Dew or Dove Soap and you can see where I'm coming from.

A father reconnects with his son after trying the newest flavor. Will they be able to mend their differences or will the FLAVOR BLAST™ keep them apart!?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FalloutGod posted:

Having a commercial product as a main character in a TV show/movie seems really weird. Replace Final Fantasy with like Mountain Dew or Dove Soap and you can see where I'm coming from.

A father reconnects with his son after trying the newest flavor. Will they be able to mend their differences or will the FLAVOR BLAST™ keep them apart!?

Considering events like these have happened to friends of mine with their family and WoW it doesn't seem so odd, a MMO is a social thing on a level that Mountain Dew is not.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Pretty sure this is based on an actual event. Same for the little bonus story in the last episode.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 5, 2017

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

FalloutGod posted:

Could you replace Final Fantasy with Mountain Dew or Dove Soap and tell a compelling story, though? I don't see how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Going to secretly lather up my estranged dad, thanks Dove soap

• Locked thread