Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Soricidus posted:

nah

here’s my javafx experience:

PHASE 1
oh hey this is really cool. we can just make a scene graph with our stuff and let it render things nicely

oh poo poo as soon as the scene gets remotely complex everything slows to a crawl because it’s applying css very slowly to everything. and trying to dynamically add/remove stuff when it’s offscreen doesn’t help because you have to apply all the css before you know how big anything is, and that takes actual minutes

PHASE 2
ok we can just use a canvas and draw our own stuff. it’s fast and looks good!

oh wait the canvas api is so half assed as to be useless. like you can draw a string, but there is literally no way to find out how much space the string you drew is taking up. you can approximate it by using loving awt font metrics of all things but the results are subtly wrong because javafx font rendering is different. the poo poo part is that all the apis you need exist, they’re just private and have remained private despite a bug asking for a public javafx font metrics api having been open since approximately 30 seconds after the first javafx release

PHASE 3
phew, our javafx app finally works properly and fast. except idk why we’re still using javafx because the way it works is to use java2d to render to bitmaps which are then blitted to a canvas

man i don't know why you're messing with a bunch of css bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

css is just fine

just build an electron app instead of a java app

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
just use javascript and gtk

ezpz

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

css is just fine

just build an electron app instead of a java app

lol

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

This is a romantic comedy waiting to happen. Flip a coin for who gets to be played by Gerard Butler.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

apparently java's going to have green threads again

i say again cause apparently java had them back in 1.1, but got rid of them in favor of native threading. now it'll have both

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

does kotlin do anything to make it a language instead of a slang?

i used it and liked it but all i see is sugar over java. to me kotlin is to java like coffeescript is to javascript except its good. there were no new concepts in kotlin iirc.

not sure what you're looking for in language features other than null safety, inline functions, and anonymous function blocks with receivers.

unlike coffeescript, kotlin doesnt compile to java but it compiles to jvm bytecode directly.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

coffeescript is also bad, unlike javascript

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
javascript isn't bad, it's horrible

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
just installed JRE looking forward to this thread

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
my computer is asking whether I want to upgrade java can anyone assist

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
has anyone worked with something called NetBeans I really need to open this tax calculator

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
has anyone posted "thinking about thos netbeans" yet

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i sure am tired of all these jar/wars

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gazpacho posted:

i sure am tired of all these jar/wars

try an ear, friend

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://steveperkins.com/using-java-9-modularization-to-ship-zero-dependency-native-apps/

his standalone hello world app weighs in at over 20 megs but hey that's better than 200 :toot:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
should have used java ME

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

https://steveperkins.com/using-java-9-modularization-to-ship-zero-dependency-native-apps/

his standalone hello world app weighs in at over 20 megs but hey that's better than 200 :toot:

How big is the equivalent hello world app in electron?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol looks like minimally electron apps weigh in at just over 100 megs. good thing bandwidth is cheap!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my unit of measurement for program download sizes is the "doom". That's 12 dooms lol.

releated from april last year:
https://www.wired.com/2016/04/average-webpage-now-size-original-doom/

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

java 10 early access builds are available now!

http://jdk.java.net/10/

apparently they dropped the 18.3 naming scheme, so in 3 years we'll be on java 16

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
jazelle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

has anyone worked with something called NetBeans I really need to open this tax calculator

you called?

• Locked thread