Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Hey, I hope this is ok to post here.

The Dates
September 9th - Registration Opens
October 24th - December 31st - Contest systems open

Yeah, but what?
It's the annual Master the Mainframe Contest. You'll get a system ID to a real live mainframe (actually, probably a shiny new z14), and a bunch of challenges to complete. There are three parts to the contest, each part increasing in overall difficulty. Part will take less than a day, Part 2 is a couple of days, and part 3 is something you get to work on throughout the end of the year. You'll submit jobs in JCL (like running programs, but fancier), play around with REXX and COBOL, debug output, configure subsystems, poke around the OS, and other fun stuff. If you get stuck or need help, there's people available to get you un-stuck.
(at least that's typically how it's run. I'm assuming they're not drastically changing the gameplan for 2017, but it'll definitely be similar)

What can I win?
For finishing Part 1: The first 300 complete submissions get a $25 Amazon or Alibaba gift card
First 200 100% complete Part 2 submissions get a $100 Visa/Mastercard gift card
For Part 3, the top two winners in each area (N. America, Latin America, S. Asia, APAC, MEA, and Europe) will get a $2750 travel to visit the head office of IBM in their area and be showered in love by important people. You'll also get a sweet hoodie, and the top 3 overall winners get an HTC Vive.

But I don't know any mainframe stuff
You're not expected to. The first challenge is literally "log into this system" and we provide instructions on every step.
Each year, the winners are *usually* people who had no experience and just thought it was interesting.

But seriously... mainframes?
Seriously, mainframes. The things that run finance, government, insurance, retail... mainframes run a great deal of the world, and there's TONS of areas to get into, from security to transactional systems to database administration. Plus, if you're looking for a way to differentiate yourself from everyone else when it comes to job interview time, this is a relatively quick way to do that. You'll finish the contest being able to honestly say you have familiarity with like 10 new things, and even if you don't want to be a professional mainframe toucher, being able to talk about enterprise systems never hurts.

Cool. Can I play?
This contest is open to high school and college students in the US and Canada. Outside of that, I guess nothing's stopping you from signing up, but you probably won't get any prizes if you win. I will not be able to help in the getting of any additional IDs this time around, unfortunately.

Ok, what do I do?
Read about it HERE - http://masterthemainframe.com
Reddit post HERE - https://www.reddit.com/r/mainframe/comments/6ydfki/the_new_master_the_mainframe_opens_up_in_a_few/
Tell me more about the mainframe - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/17/ibm_latest_mainframe_z14/

Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I signed up. Worked with some wonky IBM machines in the military, so I'm curious to see how one made this decade works.

I hope they don't mind if my project is several strip steaks, if I win.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

dougdrums posted:

I signed up. Worked with some wonky IBM machines in the military, so I'm curious to see how one made this decade works.

I hope they don't mind if my project is several strip steaks, if I win.

Nice, good luck! I'm not sure exactly what the challenges are for the contest, but it should be a mix of new and ol... er, traditional.

The new box is a beast. Here's video of one getting put together here in Poughkeepsie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnpvyJaX4Q4

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Got an email saying I completed part 1 :toot:
Shame I can't win anything since I lied about being a student.

I entered a few years ago as well and missed out on a T-shirt as I wasn't in the US :(

Mainframes are weird.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

sinky posted:

Got an email saying I completed part 1 :toot:
Shame I can't win anything since I lied about being a student.

I entered a few years ago as well and missed out on a T-shirt as I wasn't in the US :(

Mainframes are weird.

Congrats!

And yeah, it's definitely its own world in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

an AOL chatroom posted:

if you're looking for a way to differentiate yourself from everyone else when it comes to job interview time, this is a relatively quick way to do that. You'll finish the contest being able to honestly say you have familiarity with like 10 new things, and even if you don't want to be a professional mainframe toucher, being able to talk about enterprise systems never hurts.

Ok you got my attention. Signed up.

• Locked thread