Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mabels big day posted:

Are there any basic and concise character guide videos? Something that just goes over all the moves and general playstyles of each character. There's too many times I have no idea what I'm even being hit with. The simple command lists in the training area aren't really comprehensive enough to explain the contexts and proper uses of the moves.

Play the combo and action tutorial for all the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there some visual indicator for "the move you just got owned by is a piercing move"? It can be hard to distinguish that from the CA's protection wearing off, especially with lag

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Play the combo and action tutorial for all the characters

Too lazy to do this. I want a video with a top player/personality explaining for me instead.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there some visual indicator for "the move you just got owned by is a piercing move"? It can be hard to distinguish that from the CA's protection wearing off, especially with lag

there's a very distinct sound effect and a glass shatter effect

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lack of rematch in ranked is the lamest loving thing

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm rank d3 and I feel loving unstoppable. God bless Scizor's floating counter attack

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

lack of rematch in ranked is the lamest loving thing

yeah i wish it had this.

in other news i really like doing darkrai's bad dreams juggle combos. actually all of darkrai's combos are cool

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I only lose when i try to block with down/back or tech throws with a throw.

Which is always.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Edit: nvm

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 29, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm pretty sure I beat Dr. Rokso (the tournament attending one) twice in ranked, once when he was using his Garchomp. God I love this game.

We should set up a goon room

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Pretty sure there is a goon room. I found info for one in the PokeGoons Discord.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pyswagoras posted:

Pretty sure there is a goon room. I found info for one in the PokeGoons Discord.

No urgency but worth posting itt

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Here's the room info:

pokken goons ID no: 7907034872738 password: lljk

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I just spent 100 ranked games and a few hours in training mode with Croagunk.
He's not worth it. I wanted him to be worth it so bad but he never will be.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Coming from the Wii U version and having exclusively played Gengar, I, at first, decided to only play Scizor because Scizor Is Cool.

Then I realized that I hadn't played the game in a really long time and forgot what every character can do (and had no idea about the new ones, like Decidueye's mid-air grab that's actually really easy to punish if you know it's coming), so I just kept playing ranked, and if I ever lost I'd switch to the character that beat me. I was getting kinda frustrated losing so frequently as Scizor, and now I'm having way more fun with the game and definitely getting better and basic stuff like "CA'ing every Mewtwo you see and just duck under Hyper Beams lmao." So far I think I've ended up playing Pikachu the 2nd most and most recently switched to Scizor again and won two fights in a row! :unsmith:

Also I remember Braixen being really really good in the original game. Is that still the case? I've only played her a few times, but she's one of two characters I've gotten a perfect on. If your opponent doesn't get in your face, you can spam Fire Blast and laugh at them forever.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Xad posted:

Also I remember Braixen being really really good in the original game. Is that still the case? I've only played her a few times, but she's one of two characters I've gotten a perfect on. If your opponent doesn't get in your face, you can spam Fire Blast and laugh at them forever.

Yeah, braixen is still good. I think almost all the changes (for everyone, not just her) from Wii U to DX were buffs. The game in general seems pretty well balanced, I can't think of any matchups that are very one sided, at least in my experience.

Don't get too comfortable spamming fire blast like that though, it can give you bad habits for once you start fighting people who know how to CADC.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Braixen had some really technical stuff nerfed I think like 2X isn't immune to highs anymore and j.A has less frame advantage on block. It's the kind of stuff that'll change how she plays in the hands of really good players but not so much for worse players

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Snake Maze posted:

Don't get too comfortable spamming fire blast like that though, it can give you bad habits for once you start fighting people who know how to CADC.

Oh yeah I'm fully aware it's not going to work against better players. I started doing it since I lost to someone doing the same thing and wanted to see how to deal with it.

Also that brings me to another question, is it ever better to block than just properly time a CADC? Obviously you take more damage from a grab, and there's piercing attacks, which you can still block, and Synergy Burst's are all piercing or grabs, so... I think I just answered my own question?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Xad posted:

Oh yeah I'm fully aware it's not going to work against better players. I started doing it since I lost to someone doing the same thing and wanted to see how to deal with it.

Also that brings me to another question, is it ever better to block than just properly time a CADC? Obviously you take more damage from a grab, and there's piercing attacks, which you can still block, and Synergy Burst's are all piercing or grabs, so... I think I just answered my own question?

Against chandelure you need to block and walk up because all her attacks counter pierce.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Zelder posted:

Against chandelure you need to block and walk up because all her attacks counter pierce.

Oh! Good to know. Haven't played as or fought against any Chandelures online yet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
air dashes tend to work very well against lasers too if you're playing a character that has one

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

air dashes tend to work very well against lasers too if you're playing a character that has one

Though make sure to mix up your approach because a good chandy will blast you right out of the air

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Did another full day, this time for Darkrai.

What a wonky character, he feels like Gengar except matches are either a joke (Machamp) or completely unwinnable (Chandellure).
If the opponent has to break distance and you get your nightmare procs from field mode he's a beast, but his forward offense is basically nonexistent outside of teleport mixups.
He either has the beast GA in the game or the rest of his tools are so garbage for pressure and damage that it feels like he does.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
https://twitter.com/Osohe_/status/915404419478560768

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Holy hell that's rad.
More tech like that please.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I don't like playing with a d-pad should I force myself to get used to it finally? I'm really considering buying this game because I keep hearing great things and my friend does cool combo videos for it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The game is definitely designed around a d-pad - even the arcade machine uses controllers with d-pads. Personally I found it pretty easy to switch over, but it's honestly not the worst game to play with an analogue stick. The only real problems I could see would be making dashes more difficult and being slightly awkward in field phase (you run freely around the 3d playing field, but your movement is still locked to the 8 directions). The inputs are all just button + direction, so it's not like they're harder to pull off one way or the other.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Thank you! I think I'll bite the bullet and get used to the d-pad. I didn't enjoy the demo but just realized I was using the joy cons in handheld mode. I'll give it a shot with my pro controller.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I avoid the D-Pad but switch to it during combos.
Croagunk has a 9Y that I just can't do (it gives me 8Y or 6Y) unless I use the pad.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I purchased the game, is there a discord? I'm really liking Gengar.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
I think this is the most active Pokken Discord:
https://discord.gg/FuSgqRB

This rocks:
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/918747893431001090

Team battles are the 3v3 ones, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pyswagoras posted:

I think this is the most active Pokken Discord:
https://discord.gg/FuSgqRB

Team battles are the 3v3 ones, right?

Yup, the KoF/Pokemon style ones. They function pretty well too. It'd be nice if the game had a big enough scene to have people running events of this mode as well cause, while I prefer 1v1, 3v3 allows for cool team planning things that's kinda unique.

• Locked thread