Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Guess the movie from the screenshot!
1)

2)

3)

4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
those are all from upcoming masterpiece Ready Player One

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
1) Boys in the Sand

2) Gayniggers from Outer Space

3) Dawson's 20 Load Weekend

4) The Lord of the Rings

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

1. Jaws
2. Forbidden Planet

Here's some:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

7 is The Jazz Singer, OP

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i know those man asses. #8 is from the 1940 classic A Case of Spring Fever

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When I get home to my computer I can post a few. I have a Screenshots folder with probably thousands of pics at this point

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

a cute sea otter posted:

1) Boys in the Sand

2) Gayniggers from Outer Space

3) Dawson's 20 Load Weekend

4) The Lord of the Rings

ths was still a bad post bbut the second ones an actual movie fyi

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Fungah! posted:

ths was still a bad post bbut the second ones an actual movie fyi

so is the fourth movie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Liquid Drink posted:

so is the fourth movie

omfg

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

1. Jaws
2. Forbidden Planet

Correct!!

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

a cute sea otter posted:

1) The title of a dumb, gay movie

2) The title of a dumb, gay movie

3) The title of a dumb, gay movie

4) The title of a dumb, gay movie

Yup, I'm a terrible threadshitting idiot and I very much apologize for that. That was a terrible post and I certainly won't try to be funny again in a sleep deprived state in your very serious subforum about very seriously discussing very serious movies.

However, I find it a pretty drastic cognitive leap by @GonSmithe to label this post "Casual Racism" in the context that it is in. These are four dumb, gay movies in a cackhanded attempt to point out that in an age with google image search, assesing someones trivia knowledge of movie screenshots is a little bit dumb and gay. But it is not my place to judge how very normal human people use their time.

I would never argue that simply because someone chose to name their movie the above title, that quoting it would never be racist. For example if someone listed:

1. Moonlight
2. 12 Years a Slave
3. Precious
4. Title above

That would clearly be very problematic, as a reply to pretty much anything. But shutting down a post as racist without any racialized context in it simply because you disagree with how one of the creators named their movie seems to me like not only lazy moderating, but actually hurtful to being able to have any meaningful discussion on race. I have seen ALL of the above listed titles, and had productive discussions with my friends and colleagues about many of them. While some of the themes in them are up for discussion, I assure you that if there is ANY theme that is commonly expressed by them all, it is the noble promotion of brotherly love between all races. Except for orcs.

I understand that moderating a forum such as this is a daunting task, and the temptation to provide quick retribution strong. I would have happily taken a ban for making a stupid, pointless, content-free, and pretty unfunny post, but I believed in the power of :10bux: to foster more than just knee-jerk reactions and context free judgement. Context matters, and I find it very disappointing that a moderator would misidentify the post above as being made with intent that was racist.

It was homophobic. :colbert:

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

a cute sea otter posted:

Yup, I'm a terrible threadshitting idiot and I very much apologize for that. That was a terrible post and I certainly won't try to be funny again in a sleep deprived state in your very serious subforum about very seriously discussing very serious movies.

However, I find it a pretty drastic cognitive leap by @GonSmithe to label this post "Casual Racism" in the context that it is in. These are four dumb, gay movies in a cackhanded attempt to point out that in an age with google image search, assesing someones trivia knowledge of movie screenshots is a little bit dumb and gay. But it is not my place to judge how very normal human people use their time.

I would never argue that simply because someone chose to name their movie the above title, that quoting it would never be racist. For example if someone listed:

1. Moonlight
2. 12 Years a Slave
3. Precious
4. Title above

That would clearly be very problematic, as a reply to pretty much anything. But shutting down a post as racist without any racialized context in it simply because you disagree with how one of the creators named their movie seems to me like not only lazy moderating, but actually hurtful to being able to have any meaningful discussion on race. I have seen ALL of the above listed titles, and had productive discussions with my friends and colleagues about many of them. While some of the themes in them are up for discussion, I assure you that if there is ANY theme that is commonly expressed by them all, it is the noble promotion of brotherly love between all races. Except for orcs.

I understand that moderating a forum such as this is a daunting task, and the temptation to provide quick retribution strong. I would have happily taken a ban for making a stupid, pointless, content-free, and pretty unfunny post, but I believed in the power of :10bux: to foster more than just knee-jerk reactions and context free judgement. Context matters, and I find it very disappointing that a moderator would misidentify the post above as being made with intent that was racist.

you ok?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
A) Nice meltdown
B) I didn't realize that was actually the name of a movie, my bad

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
I lost my cool earlier lol. Gotta learn to laugh at yourself. Am i right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

That's Eyes Wide Shut. I saw it in the theater while eating some burgers a few months back.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

That's Eyes Wide Shut. I saw it in the theater while eating some burgers a few months back.

Also, Kubrick is sitting on the left between two people. I think it's the only time he cameo'd in his own movie.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Whoa, I didnt know that. I know he played a voice on a radio in Full Metal Jacket but idk if that counts as a cameo.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Let's try some more!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

also, this is The Killing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

a cute sea otter posted:

1. Moonlight
2. 12 Years a Slave
3. Precious
4. Title above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvoFa4phO4

• Locked thread