Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Oh sweet I got a FIFA 19 Beta key with Ultimate Team & Kick-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
same

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
So... I'm in the beta again this year. Last year I absolutely loved how the game played during beta, this year it's the complete opposite. Game is a trainwreck.

UI Changes and FUT Changes

-Radar is much improved. Your guys are circles and opponents are triangles.

-Can now sort own cards by acquired date (searching the transfer market is completely unchanged)

-Can now see how chem and chem styles are affecting the cards individual stats (i.e. +5 acceleration, +7 shooting, etc) One thing I noticed is that on 10 chem the bonuses displayed in the game aren't what sites like Futhead have listed. In Fifa 19 acceleration doesn't increase while sprint speed goes up by 5, the sites have it the opposite. There are like 3 stats like this I think on basic chem. I haven't looked at other chem styles. My guess is that Fifa 19 is correct and we've been getting chem affects wrong for years. Look forward to another mini chemgate where EA says "oops lol" and the community has a mini meltdown.

-FUT Rivals sucks. Instead of seasons there is a ladder system based off your Elo with weekly rewards. You play 5 matches and then are placed in a division start out with (I won all 5 and was placed in Div 6) and given a skill rating. Weekly rewards are based on how many matched you win. Weekend league qualification is achieved via points (wins X Elo multiplier.) Grinding out the first few divisions in seasons was a great way to make money early in the game, well now you only get rewards once a week which kinda sucks. In the beta, this has resulted in everyone being hilariously poor since contracts and fitness cards eat up more than you earn via match coins and the first week's rewards haven't dropped yet. I expect everyone will hate this mode because it'll be similar to the later stages of the WL where Elo has kicked in and now you are facing very tough opponents of equivalent skill level every match.

-Tournaments are entirely absent from the beta.

-Pack opening animation is hilariously bad.

-There's a revamped way of handling packed cards and it is bad and unnecessary. It also remaps all keys you use to send to club/quick sell. Look forward to seeing many hilarious videos in the first month or so of Fifa 19 where people discard their Ronaldo because the new system is unintuitive and they are opperating off muscle memory. This is being hyped as a big feature and has it's own subsection of the beta forum to discuss it.

-Draft, squad battles, daily rewards, sbcs all seem completely untouched.

Gameplay

-Game much slower. Pace seems to hardly matter.

-Passing much less accurate.

-New first touch system is sorta ok, I haven't really gotten the hang of it. Very easy for you to first touch flick the ball up and volley it in the top corner now.

-New shooting mechanic is awful. Tap shoot once to power up and then tap again just as the ball meets your player to unleash an unstoppable super shot. There is a little bar above your head which helps with timing, but it only appears if you have the other training aids enabled. If you mess up the timing of the second tap your player will punt the ball into row z even if they are 1 foot from goal lol. This sucks if you are used to just rapidly tapping shoot. You can turn this feature off entirely. I expect most players will.

-Driven shots still best way to finish. Have to touch 3 buttons at once to do them now.

-If you are dribbling down the wing and the ball is more than a yard or so from your player they will now execute a slide tackle instead of whipping in a cross. Same deal if you try to preload a first time cross. This happens 3-4 times per game and legit makes me wonder if Fifa is tested at all before release.

-Penalties have changed. No idea how they work now. Everyone I've played skied their penalty 100 yards over the bar so far.

-Goal kicks have changed. May be better once people are used to them. For now everyone is kicking the ball a million miles out of bounds like 60% of the time.

-Headed goals seem more common. Crossing feels a lot more manual than in previous years. If you do the super shot on a header it seems very likely a goal no matter who your player is. Dries Mertens jumped 10 feet in the air and drilled a header into the far corner from 20 yards out for me.

-Custom tactics are ok. You can set 4 preset formations+tactics and change them via d-pad in game. Only this is broken in the beta and dpad does nothing. Tactical choices are largely unchanged. Now have a visual representation of what each setting does.

-Every goal takes forever to add 1 to the score. Makes you feel like every single goal was blown dead.

-FUT card of whoever scored superimposed on the field after scoring.

-Extra time actually runs instead of just showing +3 minutes or whatever. This is something people have been crying about for years, but it makes no difference.

It's hard to express just how bad the beta is. Fifa is the only video game I play and I'm seriously considering skipping this year based on the beta.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I didn't get into beta which made me sad but sounds like it'll need a week 1 patch anyway

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Who knows, maybe EA fucks the game so bad that it makes PES more desirable. I ended playing more PES this year and hardly touched Fifa since 09 when it started to be drat fun. Hell, I even poped Fifa 13 last week for a few matches. Forgot how fun was Dortmund that year.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I've heard the gameplay was terrible yea. I definitely am done with fifa for awhile now. PES might catch my attention but it's not guaranteed. If PES is pricepointed at 30 dollars or whatever ill get it.

e-

LastDeadMouse posted:

It's hard to express just how bad the beta is. Fifa is the only video game I play and I'm seriously considering skipping this year based on the beta.

Join the darkside and play fortnite. Also it was awhile ago but I just remembered- after months of playing fifa and WL when I hopped on to play the last mediocre edition of COD it was so refreshing to play a game where I felt 95% of my failures were attributed to things in my control. I know that's most multiplayer titles but FIFA had gotten me used to bullshit.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 12, 2018

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm still havin fun with the boys in pro clubs :shrug:

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
doesn't honestly feel all that different to me, less pacey players are a bit buffed i guess?

didnt even bother trying the new shot bar thingy

the most disappointing thing for me is that apparently konami got an exclusive deal for the russian league, so no full rpl teams/players, but given that they have the CL and EL license i am hoping at least the qualified teams/players are in

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Being honest, I kind of burned with FUT in Fifa 17 and only enjoyed playing pro clubs with eurogoons (aside from manager mode). Fifa 18 was kind of weird in a way I can't explain and barely touched mp and only three seasons in manager while PES2017 and 2018 with patches (PS4) was drat fun in local play with friends and I'm even playing weekly sessions of a manager with other two coworkers (couch play) and liking even the jank. I'd love that a 3rd developer tried to make a game so both EA and Konami started again to compete insteas of cutting content and just focusing on their card game.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
ok guys have fun posting in the PES thread

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

PES thread is about to be jumping

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea I'm skipping out on fifa this year and getting PES. If anyone wants to jump ship with me and give it a go I'll set up a thread. EA can't create a decent football game and they manage to put out a near carbon copy that is worse every year. At the very least PES will be refreshing just for being different. Also the fact that there isn't a transfer market in PES fut combined with the fact that you can put squad quality limiters on when searching for a game actually sounds interesting.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

PES thread. Probably wont get past two pages

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866076

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If they made a Switch version of PES I’d buy it. They won’t though.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'll probably throw 60 bucks out the window to bitch itt again but I'll be damned if I enjoy it

Ok I'll enjoy the squad building

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not gonna lie, I'll get Fifa 19 but this time not at launch but a month after and snag a 2nd hand copy on PS4 so, in case of sucking can trade it while on PC It'll just sit at my origin library forever.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I was super on the fence with FIFA 19 and considering PES. I looked at a bunch of youtubes/etc. and decided I don't want to bother learning a whole new system/game, and want to continue to just mindlessly zone out and play FIFA. FIFA 19 pre-ordered. Looking forward to the dumbness and also the enjoyable squad-building and web-apping.

Anyone remember when the new FIFA 19 webapp opens up? I always forget. Like a week before release right?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Is anyone making a FIFA 19 thread? Or have I missed it?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Elliptical Dick posted:

Is anyone making a FIFA 19 thread? Or have I missed it?
I was gonna make a low-effort one but I'm holding out for Seltzer to do a proper one.

I'm actually hyped for FIFA 19. I keep playing 18 with random squads and am somehow still having fun with the game.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Tzen posted:

I was gonna make a low-effort one but I'm holding out for Seltzer to do a proper one.

I'm actually hyped for FIFA 19. I keep playing 18 with random squads and am somehow still having fun with the game.

Seltzer is dead to us fifaians, make your low effort thread.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea unless there are major gameplay changes I'm gone. At best I'll get it near black friday if that is the case. I'm so hard up for a decent sports game atm I was playing "Casey Powell Lacrosse 16" on xbox gamepass the other day lol.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I decided to play a bit more of 17 this week to make the decision and friends, I think Fifa is bad

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I switched to Football Manager

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I decided to play a bit more of 17 this week to make the decision and friends, I think Fifa is bad

It is. But I'm like, committed now. And probably addicted. Woe is me.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

oh poo poo, they have the chinese league now? thread jesus anthony modeste returns

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
i think that i'm gonna switch to fifa 19

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

oh poo poo, they have the chinese league now? thread jesus anthony modeste returns

does he score loads of goals in china because having a giant overpowered friend sure would help me feel better about everything

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
don't forget about Hulk and Pele(the italian one)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Weedle posted:

I switched to Football Manager
Football Manager has always owned. It's the reason I could never get into Career Mode in FIFA. Went from FM 12, to 14, to 16, and now FM 18. Love the game.

Anyways, ratings and other things are coming out for FIFA 19. Low effort thread here we goooooooo

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
Edit: wrong thread

eternity test fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 27, 2018

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Talk me out of doing the flashback Pato SBC. On the one hand he's ~200k. On the other his stats are crazy, he'll be the best brazilian ST all year and I have the SBC renato augusto card to link with him and I have 2.4 million coins roughly......

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Well no one stopped me

Div Rivals

Literally my first attack. Sick passing

Trivela

Pato's really good at winning header's as well surprisingly.

The guy legit feels like an Icon. Pros- Elite finishing and positioning, surprising strength and heading, great agility and dribbling. Cons- Stamina (sort of, he's H/L and 76 isn't bad), 3* Wf but his right foot is lethal. His passing wasn't a pro or con, it was completely fine. I've been trying to get the CPL cards this year and and since I already got SBC Augusto I kinda had to do this one. The 180k price point is high, but he plays like a 200-500k player.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also I really like the patch so far. I'm someone who never ever uses team pressing as a tactic and I'm also someone who manually defends more than 90% of the playerbase so it's playing right into my strengths. Apparently second man contain is still op and doesnt drain stamina like team pressing does but that's ok because it's way easier to deal with then team pressing.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 28, 2018

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

Well no one stopped me

That's probably cause this is the old thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Elliptical Dick posted:

That's probably cause this is the old thread

Lmao

• Locked thread