Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Chapter 1: Raiding Queensport!

Introductions are a bit boring, so we’ll skip right past you all meeting and deciding to be a pirate crew.

Three would-be pirates drink swill in the Salty Box, the worst, and best, bar in Queensport. No one respectable would ever been seen in this pit of filth and grime. But the best sea scum in the world gathered here to drown their sorrows and plan their vengeance. Three such down-and-out sailors were there now. A disgraced captain, a broke smuggler, and a seaman too fearsome to stay on any ship for long. They were going to take the world. But first, they needed a plan.

1. A Friendly Drinking Game (Social – Solo) Reward: Loyal Crew!
2. Stealing Secrets (Stealth or Investigation– Solo) Reward: Secrets!
3. Good Old Fashioned Thieving (Stealth or Combat - Buddy) Rewards: Money!
4. Prison Break! (Any – Buddy) Rewards: Loyal Skilled Lieutenant!
5. Taking the Royal (Combat & Chase – Group) Rewards: A Legendary Ship! (must be second round of picks - have to skip town!)
6. R&R (Vignette – any) Rewards: Mood!
7. Write In!

With 3 PCs you get 2 rounds of choosing from the same list before we move on to the next chapter. If something isn’t chosen it likely won’t be available, this chapter will end with a group scene of you leaving town. Buddy scenes take 2 people, Team scenes take 3 people.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Kai

You love your crew, but your little family needs to grow if you're going to take the Royal. You'd need the boldest, wildest, toughest sailors of the largest port town of the Claw. Once a month, The Salty Dog holds a drinking contest between captains. The contestants bring their crew and put them up as a bet, the winner gets his pick of the lot. Unemployed sailors also crowd the dingy bar, looking to see which crew has the biggest balls and the strongest guts. A bold enough victory, and even some legitimate Seamen will jump ship to join The Champion. Perhaps more importantly, it will inspire and unite the men you've brought with you when you choose them again.

The other competitors don't matter, they're just set dressing. In truth this is a duel between you and the current Champion.

They say Jolly Jeff once drank Chimera Blood and lived to tell the tale. They say he once drank so much, his piss was flame. They say once he drank all the booze in the bar, went on a rampage, and drained his opponent dry, like a vampire. This huge man is not just a drinker, he's known to be a fearsome and unflappable captain, who faces down the greatest dangers with glee.

Drinking rules!
This is a contest of charisma, will, and constitution! Every round you can make a social attack or trick and then drink. Roll Strength against the Booze Difficulty (default at Doom) failure means one temporary body damage. The first Drinker to give up by running out of Mood or pass out by running out of Body loses! This is also an opportunity for showboating to get a reputation, extra crew, or increase your own mood... If you think victory is assured. Feel free to post in here or take it to the Play channel in discord.

The bar wench starts things off easy by serving a tankard of their finest Swill! She spits in each for good luck! Booze Difficulty 3!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Kai
The first thing anyone notices about Kai is that he's clad in cloth pants and ropes hung with shark teeth and fangs, and that his spear is unmistakingly tipped with a shark's tooth. The second thing you notice is that he's young. His face is lined from battle and hardship his mostly-bare chest and arms bulge with muscle, and yet, his face is clearly that of a young man, and he's barely got stubble. His smile is cocky, however, and his arms bear the scars of many fights - mostly, it seems, bite marks.

He sits down among the contestants, opposite the champion in particular. The Swill is served and he lifts the glass. Before he drinks however, he looks the champion straight in the eye and speaks.
"You know, where It's customary to introduce yourself by deed when you drink with a stranger. My name is Kai, and my biggest deed means nothing to you, but when my last captain tried to feed me to Sharp-Tooth and Mean-Finn, I killed them both, murdering one with the splintered tip of my spear and ripping up the jaw of the other. What've you done?"
Then he drinks.

2 on a self-aggrandize social attack, 4 on a drinking roll.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Kai

The crowd gasps at your revelation and the murmurs, you hear "is that the Shark Killer, he's so young!" and "Aye, Kai the Shark Killer, not a man to be trifled with."

Normally your self aggrandizement is worth just 1 point of reputation, but it's amplified in this setting to a 6 among sailors.

Jolly Jeff laughs, "A shark hunter, boy? Then I'll tell you an accomplishment, one of many, one to make you think on who you face today! Once I was eaten by a great whale, a Shark-Eater! It swallowed me whole, but that was its mistake! I cut through its great belly and swam to its heart, then I ate it! I'm Jolly Jeff and I'm the Champ!"

Jolly Jeff attacks with his telling tall tales inspiration!

@JordanPro: 1d6 + 1d6 = (2)+(5) = 5

Jolly Jeff drinks with 1d10 strength and his 1d6 Champion Drunk of Queensport Background
@JordanPro: 1d10 + 1d6 = (6)+(4) = 6

He might be making that one up, but the crowd responds with a roar like it's truth, and he downs the Swill in a single gulp like it's nothing.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 14, 2017

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Kai

Kai rolls his eye at the brag, but he can't help but feel the sting as the crowd reacts. He shoots back. "Oh, you're the champ? Enjoy it while it lasts, you're gonna loose that title soon"
He then empties his next mug in a single gulp and turns to the barmaid. "Can we get somthing stronger for the next round? i need to show this 'champ' how it's done."

Defend with 3, attack with 3, drink with 6

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Kai

Everyone is still up, this place's Swill is like water to most of the drinkers here. Next you're brought a classic: Straight Grog in a large mug, enough to keep a sailor content from breakfast to dinner! Drink Difficulty 4

"Impatient are we, afraid your belly will burst before you fall down? Don't worry, it'll get stronger. And if you have to piss, you can do it in your pants like the baby you are!"

Attack: 2 Defense: 6 Drink: 3

He drains the grog like the swill and laughs again, but you can see his face getting red.

"The boy's right! This is nothing! Bring us some real booze!"

The crowd chants "real booze!" until the the barmaid brings out some tiny bowls and jug inscribed with runes. With a grimace she carefully pours just a single swallow of the black liquid into each. It bubbles and gurgles, like it's alive. Some of the drinkers just walk out on seeing the stuff, they didn't have crew worth drinking that for. Other faces turn white and cloudy, but they're willing to face this down.

"AHAHA! We said real booze, and this is no such thing. But I'll drink it rightways. You see this black stuff, boy? It's Black Ochre, Demon's Blood! It's poison and it'll drop men where they stand." He beams, and drinks.

Drink Difficulty is 10 and does 2 body damage!

Jolly Jeff stunts with his Love of Laughing at Death Inspiration!
Defense: 2 Drink 10

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 14, 2017

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Kai

"Afraid i'll burst? Hardly! I drank all night with Scar-Eye, Four-teeth and Ol' Grimace, and none of them ballooned up the way you seem to have!"
With that, Kai grabbed the small cup and downed it in one go. "Like mother's milk to me! One more!"

Defending with 1 (failing), Attack: 9, schadenfreude. Drink: 10 (inspiration)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Odessa

When Andress told you her sob story, you remembered a bawdy tale you heard years ago about the dashing pirate and the demur noble maiden. Eastwind had a reputation for evading capture, as if he was always one step ahead. He was also reputed to sneak into ports for secret liaisons with noblewomen. All this was well known, but it wasn't so much evidence as vague scandalous rumors. Andress, however, made it clear that right before she finally captured Eastwind she was chosen for the "lottery" and accused of traitorous levels of passion. Both the lottery, and the secret police, are run by Lady Jeannette Ipres, the king's niece. She would also have access to all military intelligence in Marnh. The Lady Ipres was an upstanding member of the royal court, it would be truly scandalous if she was having affair with a pirate and feeding him information!

If there's a connection, there has to be evidence. How is she passing the information? It can't all be in person. If they are having an affair, how has she been able to keep it secret for years when she's under constant guard? The information is out there, but this will require a delicate touch.

What's your approach?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Odessa
The first thing you do when you need to find some dirt on someone is check out where they live. People tend to lower their guard in their own home, the place they consider their sanctuary; even a noble's paranoia might not be quite as acute in there. And what sort of young romantic doesn't keep her beloved's letters somewhere in the house?

With an old cloak on her shoulders, an eyepatch and a fake crooked back, courtesy of a pillow stuffed in the back of her shirt, Odessa pretends to be an harmless mendicant, begging for coin in a nearby alley with clear view of the villa. She studies the guards' patrols, the entrances, anything and everything that could potentially let her get in.

I imagine I'll use Reason for this, and my history for being an orphan pickpocket?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 15, 2017

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Odessa

You observe the house for some time, and make some important observations.

First, she is indeed paranoid about her home. It's well guarded, and not just by normal soldiers. The Doorman is some kind of diviner and scrutinizes everyone coming in.

Second, a lot of people are coming and going. Some are openly police, others dressed as houseguests, but there's no party you can see. She seems to be using her home for business.

Third, she is not a beautiful maiden. You catch a look at her, and she's middle aged with a thin, severe face and conservative, if expensive, clothing. She's the king's niece, but she looks a bit older than him. Then again, if the stories are true the king is being kept young through magic ritual. Her eyes are sharp and mean as she speaks tersely with a young woman in her threshold, and the woman then sprints away.

You can follow the woman easily enough, or stick with the house. What do you do?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Odessa
(from Discord)

You follow the woman and interrogate her, posing as a desperate salesman with an offer she can't refuse! She believed the ploy, but as a wealthy young underling of the Lady she had little interest in a profit opportunity from a dirty beggar, and was too afraid to introduce you. You did disturb her enough that, in order to get rid of you, she described a way to enter the Lady's household.

It seems she is very cruel to her servants and so it's difficult for her to find good, qualified help. The head Butler would be willing to hire on someone desperate, if they are qualified but destitute enough to beg for work in the worst household in the city. With a fake recommendation from "Henry" and some acting, you can get hired on. As new staff, you would still need to get past the Diviner, however. The woman didn't know you were anything but desperate, but he might see your ulterior motives.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It's night. Two guards stand in front of the entrance, and there are more inside. To protect the lady of the house from unsavory characters, of course.

One such unsavory characters, at this very moment, is sneaking her way to the side of the villa. She looks around, and once she's sure that no one's watching, she produces a wonder of modern engineering from her coat.

The grapple flies through the night air, and lands with a barely perceptible "clank". Odessa waits, ready to bolt, in case anyone heard it and is coming to check on it. Seconds pass, marching slowly but surely like a column of ants. Nobody comes. Odessa thanks whoever invented this thing, attaches the rope to the harness she's wearing and begins the ascent.

----

From the vantage point of the top of the walls, her initial plan of hiding in the bushes, waiting for tomorrow and pretend to be a desperate bum looking for a job doesn't sound quite as solid. There are probably going to be guards swapping places with the ones at the gate, and the garden is so small, there's no way they're not going to see her; there's nowhere to hide. She plays with her amber pendant, scrutinizing the villa. There; that must be the noblewoman's room. It's the one with the fanciest curtains. An idea starts to form in his mind as she rewinds the rope back into the grapple gun.

Another grapple flies through the night. It is quickly pulled back. Odessa is on the roof.

She waits until the lights are turned off. She waits even more, to ensure that the woman is asleep. She waits some more, remembering her infancy, remembering Snarl and Fuzz and Scar and all the others.

She gently enters the window, like a lover visiting her beloved. But they're not thoughts of romance that guide her, but thoughts of opportunity and revenge. Time to search for those letters.

---

As it always happens, what she's looking for is in the last place she looks. She still keeps her diary under her bed. How cute.

Odessa is about to leave...when she reconsiders. She goes to the writing desk and leaves her a message.

"Thanks for the reading material. I'll be in touch. O."

And with that she disappears into the night.

---
Back in the room she's rented in a tavern, Odessa pours over her loot.

What you she finds, once she's safe to read through the diary and the other documents she's found, is fascinating, but not in the way she thought. The lady's diary reveals a very real obsession with finding traitors and an intense cruelty towards anyone she can abuse, mostly the lower class but she takes particular joy in knocking down upstart commoners, who often rise in the military. She chronicles a number of these grudges that she's fulfilled. Potential allies to use against her, thinks Odessa as she juts down some names. One of them is the disgraced captain, but that has less venom. She chronciles that professionally, and mentions protecting an "agent." Among the papers the pirate finds some ongoing movements and investigations by the Secret Police which might be useful, especially for sale to the people being investigated. There's also a payroll / budget, which includes payoffs to an "E" in the form of run-down merchant ships filled with weapons, supplies, and mercenaries.

E. Eastwind. The pirate captain wasn't her lover; this woman might be incapable of loving. She's protecting him for some other reason. But why?

It would be even better to know why, but knowing that Eastwind is metaphorically in bed with the nobility, instead of just literally, is valuable information, thinks Odessa as she looks out of the window, observing the night sky.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Kai

You go many rounds with the giant captain, drinking everything from Demon Blood to pure-grain fixer-grade alcohol. Finally, when it's just the two of you the last drink is served. Jolly Jeff is terrified and enraged by what's in the bottle: Royal Ambrosia, the distilled soul of a human being. He refuses to drink, and victory is insured. But you also refuse, calling instead for another round of Demon Blood. You earned Jolly Jeff's respect in that moment, and you drink it together. You are the last man standing.

The crowd cheers in adulation. You choose all your old crew again, flea-bitten though they are, plus a few of the finer sailors. A handful of legitimate Seamen, impressed by the display, also join up. Now your crew is Loyal and with enough Veterans to act independently beyond maintaining and sailing the ship!

Your rewards:
1. 6 reputation among sailors: Shark Killer
2. 8 reputation among hard-drinkers of Queensport: The Champ!
4. 4 reputation with Romantics: Good Man
3. +4 Mood for doing something you love!

4. Loyal Crew: Armed Legion: Scope 1 Force 6, Efficiency 4, Shadow 2, Arcana 1

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 21, 2017

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Everyone

The Royal would be the finest ship ever built. It was a marvel of engineering, artistry, and wealth. Its sails were made of a brand new laminated fabric developed at the University. In their new configuration it was theorized the Royal could sail three times faster than any other ship on the sea, faster even than a racing Zeppelin at full speed. Its hull was made from Fyrajj Ironwood, light yet strong as steel. Alongside the traditional cannon, the finest money could buy, it had a pair of experimental Long Cannons on a swiveling platform that could arc a shot across the horizon or shoot a dragon from the air. Every bolt, every rope, every polished banister was of the highest quality the seafaring nation of Marnh could produce. The ship was not particularly large, and cut a shallow berth, it was intended not for trading or losing in war. It was a Royal ship, a symbol of Marnh's power, meant to be used by the Crown Prince in his grand adventures.

It wasn't finished yet. The intricate gold-leaf only blazed on half the ship, and it was not yet bound with spells of protection and ownership. So, the Royal sat in the royal navy shipyard, proven sea-worthy but not yet christened, guarded like the rest of the ships, but not staffed. If someone were to steal it, now is the time. The only time, really, before it was spellbound and crewed with a hundred elite guard.

And so, three great pirates and few of their bravest crewmen sneak past the unsuspecting guards along the outer wall, deep into the shipyard in the dead of night. Only a skeleton crew was left, most were at the party down at the Glittering Manatee. You get as close as you can, but soon enough you're spotted by a guard who yells before you can put a spear through his throat. You're only a short dash to the ship, and get there right as the alarm sounds. You won't have much time before you're swarmed by an army. Thankfully, you have the finest means of escape ever built... If you can just get the guards off it!

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1bweV8WAcO1WraVBRZT-w3YweJQbnmSmcKrY0ZWyW824/edit?usp=sharing - Map Link!

Special rules:
1. Reinforcements: Every round 1d4-2 reinforcements will arrive at the dock
2. In the drink: Anyone knocked off the ship/dock is in the Water Zone and must succeed at a trick to climb back up (this counts as a swim check)
3. Sail Away, Sail away: If you can get your crew to the ship they will automatically start raising the anchor and setting sail. They need three turns to do this. But if an enemy is in their zone they'll stop to defend themselves!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Victoria Andress

By all the gods, that's a beautiful ship. If even half the rumors are true, owning it will make a campaign of rebellion not just possible, but downright practical. Victoria's thoughts are already racing away with what a proper sailor could do with a vessel like this as she springs from a bollard and sprints up a line before leaping over the railing and onto the fo'c'sle, brandishing her roofsword with panache.

Initiative 4, using Daredevil Move to ascend to the Yellow Zone, fluff to follow

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 21, 2017

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Initiative:
Pistol
Victoria
Odessa
Shield
Kai
Musket
Sailors
Reinforcements

The man on deck carrying a pistol and saber grimaces and braces his pistol against a butress, preparing to shoot whoever charges the deck first!
Brace and Aim from Black Powder and Crimson Blade

Victoria leaps unto the bow of the ship and notices the pistoleer aiming for her!

Odessa is up!

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 21, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Odessa, dagger unleashed, steps away from the crew and smirks. "So which one of you lily-livered bilge rats wants to be the first to die on my blade?" She points said blade at the closest guard. "You, perhaps? You don't look like much of a challenge, but I don't feel like walking all the way up to your officer quite yet. I need a warm up first." She tries her best to sound almost bored, but her pose isn't that of a relaxed person. She's tense, ready to dash and fight.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Shield looks at your tiny knife, and rolls his eyes at you. He raises his shield and takes up a defensive stance, ready to repel anyone who comes forward.
Guardsman uses Block

Kai is up!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Smiling at the violence in his near future, Kai charges the guardsman in front of him, roaring and laughing like a maniac as he crashes into him. The man's armor is tough, however, and kai can't get a good strike in with his knives, so he simply pickes him up and tosses him, bodily, at the man with the gun, up on the deck, roaring and laughing all the while.

Spent 1 mood and stunted my pride inspiration.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Pistol curses and dives out of the way of the incoming guardsman, who scrambles to his feet on the deck. His aim disrupted, he decides instead to just charge Victoria with his saber as she brandishes her roofsword!
Pistol uses Slash, rolls a 3

Meanwhile the musketeer aims, his training competing with the growing panic as he realizes there's now no one between him and a mob of enemies!

Your sailors scramble forward now that the guardsman is out of the way. They aren't clear yet though, now they have to tangle with both him and the pistoleer, or get through the musketeer and go the long way around!

You can hear people shouting in the distance, but so far no reinforcements have arrived! Maybe they aren't sure where you are, that will surely change once there are gunshots!

Victoria is up

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Victoria counter-charges with a flourish, deftly parrying the saber thrust and aiming a poorly timed cut and kick at her opponent to no effect.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Odessa takes advantage of Kai's outrageous maneuver to advance, following him to the pier.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Shield finds himself on the deck of the ship and moves sheepishly to protect his commanding officer (pistol), pretending this was all part of his master plan!

He uses Shield Other!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

having swung the guardsman around like a ragdoll and onto the ship, Kai spins with the last of that momentrum til he faces the musketter again, charging and leaping towards him with a predatory smile. He swings his knife at the man, but his first swing simply cuts a whole in the man's armor. Kai, landing to the right of him, stabs his left knife into that hole and draws blood as he leaves a large, bloody gash in the man's side. He's not down for the count yet, however, and kai spins to face him.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Kai charges the man with the musket, and he really wishes he was anywhere else. In desperation he fires, and while he doesn't manage to hit Kai in the head, he narrowly misses and the muzzle flash burns in Kai's eyes.

Musket uses Powder Flash - Kai takes one damage and is blinded for his next turn

Continuing the exchange, the man with the pistol seems to have better footing this time as he cuts at Victoria. He cuts and spins and seems to be trying to put Victoria in a position where he can unleash the fire power in his pistol at close range.

Pistol uses Approach cut and rolls 2

So far you're only fighting the three original guards, but how long can your luck hold now that a shot has gone off?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Shouldn't you be swabbing this deck rather than bleeding on it, you dog?"

Victoria handily bats the saber away with her heavier sword and then rams the point into the officer while his guard is down

Stab and Mock, rolled 4 for defence and 7 to Attack, re-gaining 1 mood.

Body: 6 Mood: 4

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Odessa

She sees it.
Odessa has been on her fair share of pirate fights, and it's impossible to miss. It's the slash; more than that, it's the rotation of the whole body, while the slash is executed. There is never a need to rotate that much, with such strength; that is, unless you're planning on using that momentum to position your gun right in front of your opponent, faster than they can react after being distracted by your approaching attack.

A vision of Vanessa's face blossoming like a red flower of blood and lead.

Odessa has barely time to think. Before she even realizes what she's doing, she has a rock in her hand. A fraction of a second later, it flies out of her hand, directed at the royal guardsman's gun. Something that primitive isn't going to thwack the weapon out of his hand; but she doesn't need it to. She just needs to buy Vanessa that pinch of time she needs to avoid having her brain splattered.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The timely intervention of the Rock gives Victoria the edge she needs to push the pistol away from her face before it discharges. Shield fails to take advantage of the noise and confusion to push her over, and in the interplay of blades the empty gun is sent clattering to the deck.

spent 1 mood to make 8 on defense against Shield, rolled 6 on defense against Pistol

Rolled 3 against a defense of 1 to Disarm

Body 6 Mood 3

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Musket takes advantage of Kai's blindness to back up and take cover behind a nearby crate. He reloads and desperately looks back towards the docks, hoping reinforcements will come to stand between him and the Savage.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Odessa
The pirate takes advantage of the distraction to run aboard, trying to stay out of the guardsmen's line of sight. She crouches behind a crate left there by the dockers, dagger in hand. She just needs the perfect moment to strike...

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Kai
As soon as his vision cleared, Kai followed the musketman, moving in close enough to smell him, stabbing at him, his blade finding the mans's soft flesh. He was too close to hit properly with the other one, so his left hand shot up behind him and grabed the man's hair, janking his head back to bare the throat, which Kai bit into with vigour, riping out the man's throax with his teeth in a gory shower of blood as the man gurgled and bled to death.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
As musket explodes in gore, the first death of this battle, shield and pistol blanch.

Your sailors climb unto the ship! They're being menaced by Shield and can't make way while there's fighting in their zone!

Pistol curses and tries to back away while he draws his backup weapon, but his hand is slick with blood and spasming. As soon as he draws it he stumbles and it rattles across the deck.

Things are going well for the pirate band, but then you hear the shouts of new arrivals! A young man, barely old enough to enlist, drags a drunken veteran to the front lines! Pike and Drunk have joined the battle! Time is running out!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The guard with the shield presses Victoria closely, forcing her on to the back foot - she nearly falters and falls, but draws strength from her desire to chase Eastwind to the ends of the world: without this ship there's no chance, and failing now is unacceptable! She pushes the guard away with a mighty effort and turns to the officer, her blade slashing out multiple times with fury and determination, trying to cut the now hated symbols of House Ipress from their body. Straps and buckles go flying, scattering his clothes and leaving him comically naked except for a pair of military issue underpants.

Disrobe: target is now naked (or loses armour quality), loses 2 mood, and gains a 3 points of negative reputation

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Pistol, unarmed, naked, humiliated, bleeding, and seemingly outmatched in every way, makes a sensible decision. He dives overboard and swims away from the battle.

With Shield focused on Victoria, Odessa takes the opportunity to attempt a killing stab to his spine. But, as he anticipated, his armor is too think for even a targeted attack to penetrate. Odessa's dagger scrapes across his back, but she manages to dig it in to a joint and tear through leather. He stumbles as his armor buckles. With some quick footwork he manages to slough it off and turn to face both Victoria and Odessa. With only his light under armor remaining, he's a much less intimidating opponent.

Shield lifts his shield and plants his feet, his jaw set stubbornly. Though clearly dispirited by the loss his commanding officer and his armor, some kind of patriotism, or heroism, stirs in his heart. He will not be moved so easily. Ironically, this very inspiration that gives him the strength to fight villains is, itself, traitorous.

Shield Uses shield tactics.

Kai savagely strikes at Drunk. The fool clearly can not handle his booze, and he's slow to react. Your daggers cut a crimson streak and he screams in surprise and rage.
Drunk uses rage

Pike yelps at Kai's savage assault, but he's much more alert than his older companion. He seems to take in the fighting on the docks and the ship, and the many sailors trying to take their positions. "Wally, they're trying to take the ship! More are coming, just try to hold on! For the King!" He shouts and vaults unto the deck.

No reinforcements this round

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

As her former opponent flees into the water, Victoria triumphantly stamps on the deck and uses her free hand to make a mocking salute at Shield.

This accomplishes nothing, but looks very dashing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

"Oh no you don't!"
The young man vaulting on board the Royal barely manages to see the woman who has grabbed his pike and pulled much harder. What he does feel is the accellerated momentum that propels him like a trebuchet shot out beyond the ship and into the sea.

"And stay there!" shouts Odessa after him; the smile on her face disappears as she hears hurried steps behind her. She rolls out of the way just in time; the soldier with the shield was just about to tackle her! She scrambles to her feet. "Oh, you think you're tough, aren't you? Well, let's see if you've got what it takes to take down an old sea dog!"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Drunk screams in fear and rage, still slow to counter Kai's assault.

Pike is thrown into the water, but he manages to hold unto a dangling rope, he uses that as leverage to climb back unto the dock in short order, back behind drunk, soggy and tired but otherwise unhurt.

Victoria strikes at shield, whatever witty banter she would have wielded against him dies in her mouth as he deflects her sword and then spins back at Odessa. His footwork is precise and ferocious as he holds the two of you at bay simultaneously, driven by his loyalty and pride in Marnh. He is not so different from how Victoria once was, before she was betrayed by her country and accused, paradoxically, of treason for loving it too much.

Odessa rallies the surrounding sailors to make ready, darting around the guardsman to take on the most dangerous work herself. This inspires them to raise the anchor and ready the sails, but it comes at a cost. Shield takes a moment when she is busy with a nearby coil of rope and cuts a red slash across her stomach, his shield still raised against Victoria. He yells incoherently, too busy and winded to do much else.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Odessa leaned down, as the kingsman's clumsy swing sailed right over her head. In his defense, it's not easy fighting while at the same time keeping your balance over a floor slick with polish. The pirate's attention was, however, focused on the
"Unfurl those sails, you two! You with the ponytail, go and help Shorty with that anchor! Come on, people, it's just one man, don't let it distract you from your jobs!"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Kai bisects the poor drunk and intimidates Pike with a blood-curling scream. With his senior officer eviscerated Pike doesn't like his chances, and runs to get help. Shield stands firm, even as the ship starts to depart the docks. The three pirates and the rest of the grew surround him.

Odessa: "You can either surrender quietly, or die noisily."

Shield "I will never betray my country, villain. Kill me and be done with it."

Odessa kicks him off the ship, he will probably survive the swim to shore.

It seems that even though few soldiers managed to reach your ship before you stole it, they did sound the alarm and the few Royal navy ships stationed in the harbor are already sailing to intercept you! Thankfully, you're in the fastest ship ever made.

--

You're forced to slow a bit to pick up your remaining crew waiting on the Fireship. This gives the chasing Navy time to close in on you. Two of the swiftest ships in the harbor are the only opponents with a chance to catch you, but if they can slow you down long enough the larger force behind them will overwhelm you with numbers. You are 2 range increments away, at Long Range you will be too far gone for them to ever hope to catch you.

This is a placid harbor - the Chase Difficulty is 3.

The Royal - Unit
Galleon
Speed (strategic): 15
Health: 20
Ammo: 5
Maneuvers:
1. Broadside – 0/12. Half cannons fire. 1 Ammo
2. Sail – 6/8. Move and fire 2 cannon. 1 Ammo
3. Long Cannon - 6/10 can target any enemy in battlefield. 1 Ammo
Wealth level: -
Negative Reputation 1d20 - Our National Shame - Marnh Royalists

The Royal - Wonder Abilities
1. Swifter than the Wind: +1 to all nautical chase rolls
2. Glory Undaunted: The Doom is always 2 on and around the Royal regardless of region
3. Blazing Inspiration: LOCKED UNTIL GOLD LEAF IS COMPLETED
4. The Bound Ship: LOCKED UNTIL SPELLS ARE COMPLETED

Nautical Chase Rules
Ship chases work like foot chases in general, but one person will be Directing or Pushing the ship for everyone and the rest of the crew will perform default actions or stunts that help the captain or hinder the enemy.
Action List:
Captain
1. Direct the ship: CHA vs. Chase Difficulty
2. Push the ship: CHA vs. Chase Difficulty +1
Other Crew
3. Navigate: Reason vs. CD, no penalty for failure, -2 Doom to captain
4. Fire Long Cannons: Opposed Quick, 5 damage & +2 Doom to victim. Costs Ammo
5. Broadside: Opposed Quick, 8 Damage & +3 Doom to loser. Cost Ammo
6. Help the Crew: Strength vs. CD, no penalty for failure -1 Doom to captain. Any number can contribute
7. Environmental Trick
Note - the Fleet Commander merit also applies to Nautical Chase Damage, if Victoria is the captain you deal +1 Damage. The Fireship will not be able to keep up. If only there were some flammable ships following directly behind you!

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The Royal

Your ship glides across the water on its oversized wings. Your crew is new to this configuration of sails, so no doubt some speed is lost and your enemies keep pace with you. But whereas they are clearly experts using every bit of sail they can, you have barely tapped into the potential of your ship. You continue for a while, Odessa calling out from the crow's nest, Kai screaming, beating, and singing the crew into a fervor, and Victoria acting as a stern, experienced captain.

You reach the spits at the edge of Queen's Bay. If you can get past this barrier where the sea narrows you'll be in the open ocean! However, the sea always grows more rocky here, and the outcroppings have towers equipped with towers to repel a naval assault. You quickly get in range and find they've been alerted! Cannon fire rains down around you!

You are in the choppy barrier between bay and sea, and you're being targeted with cannon fire!

Royal Navy 1 - 2 increments away
Royal Navy 2 - 2 increments away

Chase Difficulty is 8 - Opponent chase difficulty is 5

• Locked thread