Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005

Stephen A Smith trying to ride Teddy into an early(ish) grave here lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GGG wanted a dramashow I think we got a dramashow.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
that overhand canelo hit ggg with that would have turned khan inside out and ggg didn't even break forward momentum. drat.

also canelo got tired because every fiber of his body was tensed in perpetuity because golovkin was never more than a quarter second removed from hitting canelo so hard that if he isn't reacting to it it will put him o bed. he wasn't in control for more than about a minute spaced over 36. that's tiring.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

thehappyprince posted:

the best way to watch boxing is to check in the week of a fight and check out at the final bell, imo

I usually just catch up on YouTube and by catch up on YouTube I mean watch old school fucks slug each other while I pretend the sport grew in the fantasy version I imagine in my head.

But yeah the longer you stare into the void etc

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

God it must be so disheartening to hit ggg with everything you have and he just doesn't react

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Canelo also did a lot of defending with his upper body, which is tiring. He probably spent less energy trading in the middle of the ring in the last three rounds than he did trying to defend and counter on the ropes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

God it must be so disheartening to hit ggg with everything you have and he just doesn't react

Here's a draw to make up for it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Here's a draw to make up for it

Thanks, I thought I won 7 rounds but I'm pleased with this

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hell if you account for Kazakh stoicism, he practically laughed in his face.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i was really impressed with Canelo

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

drat man I wanna be a judge

Yo canelo / golden boy wassup hit me up fam I'll dm you my bank info later

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Noctone posted:

Hell if you account for Kazakh stoicism, he practically laughed in his face.
https://gfycat.com/PracticalAggressiveIberianmole

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skip My Posts posted:

i was really impressed with Canelo

I was impressed too. He lost, or should have, but that was a fine showing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
canelo did great for three rounds but faded really quick. he actually did worse than i expected. jacobs would beat him.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah I was unimpressed with how Canelo gassed out. His corner told him to get off the ropes so they knew it was a problem, but he couldn't do anything, he was being stalked by GGG

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

canelo did great for three rounds but faded really quick. he actually did worse than i expected. jacobs would beat him.

What were you expecting? I didn't think he had the ability to ward Golovkin away from his ribs and was going to get pummeled and finished. He proved much tougher and more evasive in exchanges than I expected and much more able to time Golovkin.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Idk a lot of those punches Canelo hit GGG with would either get him knockdowns or change the momentum of a round against most lesser fighters, but apparently GGG is invulnerable. I was impressed with him

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ggg walked right through some really nice shots

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Skip My Posts posted:

ggg walked right through some really nice shots

https://twitter.com/Keen_Mind/status/909268270296920066

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

What were you expecting? I didn't think he had the ability to ward Golovkin away from his ribs and was going to get pummeled and finished. He proved much tougher and more evasive in exchanges than I expected and much more able to time Golovkin.

Those things would have happened if he hadn't been on his bike for 9 or 10 entire rounds.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

Those things would have happened if he hadn't been on his bike for 9 or 10 entire rounds.

That's not really an answer, and I don't think it's true. Had he been more agressive or tried to stake ground in the center, Golovkin would have eventually worn him down and finished him. Running away is a lot less tiring than fighting it out and he gassed as is.

So what were you expecting?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

That's not really an answer, and I don't think it's true. Had he been more agressive or tried to stake ground in the center, Golovkin would have eventually worn him down and finished him. Running away is a lot less tiring than fighting it out and he gassed as is.

So what were you expecting?

A closer fight.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

phwoar

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Marching Powder posted:

A closer fight.

Ok I guess. I was just interested in what you thought Canelo had for Golovkin that he didn't show besides being nonspecifically better. Based on what I'd seen of him before I thought just going the distance was overachieving

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i thought his punches would have more of an impact on golovkin

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skip My Posts posted:

i thought his punches would have more of an impact on golovkin

In retrospect this is what I found impressive I guess? When you're completely unable to hurt a guy, and you're a fighter who's used to hurting people like Canelo is, I thought he did quite well to survive while he was clearly gassed and steal a round or two at the end of the fight.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Not taking anything away from GGG's chin, this is impressive as hell, but when they showed the reverse angle you see that GGG sees the punch coming from pretty far away and is already well into his reaction by the time it connects. Again, it still connects pretty drat hard and GGG eats it, but I think this is part of why he's perceived as having such a good chin. In addition to being quick, he seems to be super aware of the space around him and never really gets caught off guard.

edit: here it is, sorry for the lovely quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLGt7FYWZ6c&t=64s

eshock fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 18, 2017

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

people overrate canelo's power. his highlight reel knockouts have come against khan, a chinny welterweight and kirkland who'd previously been knocked down by a jab. he couldn't even wobble an old cotto.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

This Byrd's (not) gonna fly

Bob Bennett in the LA Times posted:

“I’m not going to put her right back in,” Bennett said. “She’ll still be in the business … but she needs to catch her breath.”

“Like in any profession, you have a bad night,” Bennett said. “Unfortunately, she didn’t do well. I can tell you she conducts training for us, takes judges under her wing … but her score was too wide.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-live-canelo-judging-controversey-unfolds-in-1505634309-htmlstory.html

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

That's from an anime

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Oh cool she's gonna get a half year vacation and then come back next year and do it again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

woozy pawsies posted:

That's from an anime

Because you draw both?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
wasn't adelaide "mr.magoo but as a worm" byrd's appointment as a judge solely the result of direct, unambiguous, single degree of separation nepotism, no less?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheRationalRedditor posted:

wasn't adelaide "the worm with cokebottle glasses" byrd's appointment as a judge solely the result of direct, unambiguous, single degree of separation nepotism, no less?

Correct. Welcome to the NSAC.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Correct. Welcome to the NSAC.
I guess you'd have to consider what kind of crook could stand to keep an elderly astigmatic cretin away from the position of authority they have no training in or understanding of

Those Teddy Atlas rants are straight fire

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Adalaide Byrd is the wife of longtime boxing referee Robert Byrd. As far as I know she has no other qualifications for judging.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The vast majority of judges are referees who double up aren't they? How is it that when it gets to these mega fights in Vegas all of a sudden we need "professional" judges?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Lionel Richie posted:

The vast majority of judges are referees who double up aren't they? How is it that when it gets to these mega fights in Vegas all of a sudden we need "professional" judges?

At least stateside most are either retired judges (Pat Russell, Joe Cortez or Stanley Christodulu) or guys who started judging on the side (Harold Lederman was a lawyer and Glenn Feldman is a financial advisor) who just worked up the ranks.

Of course there are nepotism cases like in anything in life but even some of those-other than Adalaide Byrd- like Julie Lederman and Lisa Giampa are quite dependable. Byrd is just a corner case and that she continued to get high profile assignments in boxing and mma stunk to high heaven. Like CJ Ross hopefully this is finally the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lionel Richie posted:

In the amateurs you become a boxing official and it's supposed to be 1 year after you start judging that you're allowed to start reffing.

• Locked thread