Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Runa posted:

Forgot what thread I had open and spent about ten seconds wondering what Tim Sweeney's very specific monomania was

Its losing massive amounts of money on anything that isnt Fortnite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Speaking of a specific kind of monomania, I recently discovered a comic called Motherlover. I want to share the About page for it. I went the extra mile to include the formatting, you're welcome.

Motherlover's About page posted:

Motherlover is a sweet serial romance comic about two moms from different walks of life who (are going to eventually) fall in love, with a bunch of other life stuff that happens along the way.

It’s a spinoff comic of How Baby, which is my (mostly) autobiographical comic about the trials of motherhood. Specifically, these gals showed up as randomly-generated characters in #237: Insecurities, and in drawing the comic I realized… yo, those moms are gonna kiss. I could feel it in my ‘shipping bones.

So then I set out to make a multi-chapter slow burn comic solely about them becoming friends and falling in love. Go big.

I admire the purity and directness of "THIS ENTIRE COMIC IS TO MAKE THESE TWO KISS."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've had Motherlover in my RSS feeds for a while but fell behind on it.
I need to catch up, I remember it as being pretty decent, but I may end up waiting until it's done.

Another comic that recently picked back up is the :nws:-ish Go Get A Roomie.
The artist started doing a re-publishing of it in regular intervals, and after getting to the original end, revealed that they'd drawn more stuff and would continue the story, since some people originally felt the ending wasn't the best it could've been.
:ninja:EDIT: Looking at it, it looks like the rerun is finished too?

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
There's this new comic called Sun Princess which I found incredibly adorable: https://tapas.io/series/Sun-Princess/info

It's about a young girl who has a curse that makes her faint when she gets anxious, so she decides to become a monster hunter to beat the curse.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wow, Mother Lover is really good. Thank you for linking it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Love your mother! And love you! Get loved!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
im sorry, i just don't love your mother anymore

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Well this loving sucks, John Allison just got a cease and desist for his Conan story... despite Conan being public domain.

https://badmachinery.com/comic/announcement/

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

And Namesake. God I hate Namesake. Do as I say not as I do kids. :v:

I'm not asking for a massive youtube ransona special or anything but what's Namesake's deal? It's one of those Hiveworks comics that just seems to constantly pop up on ads, and that's the only way I've become dimly aware of it.

habeasdorkus posted:

Well this loving sucks, John Allison just got a cease and desist for his Conan story... despite Conan being public domain.

That sucks. The Conan IP holder is definitely one of those entities that's litigious as poo poo even when they probably don't have the legal grounds to stand on here. They're relying on the fact that untangling what is legally permissible to use would be too expensive and time consuming for most people over loving Conan the Barbarian.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 23, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm not asking for a massive youtube ransona special or anything but what's Namesake's deal? It's one of those Hiveworks comics that just seems to constantly pop up on ads, and that's the only way I've become dimly aware of it.

It's like some kind of "What If The Wizard of Oz & Other Stories Were Real" type story about ostensibly real people finding themselves inside famous fictional universes. I also have no idea why it's reviled. Far as I knew the author stopped updating it years ago, but a glance at its main page shows it's back...?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

habeasdorkus posted:

It might have been one of those things where Allison could have drawn Conan public domain stories but as Conan himself is trademarked he couldn't make a new story. Funcom at one point bought the rights to REH's stuff - which gave us the MMO - and Funcom was later bought out by Tencent.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It might have been one of those things where Allison could have drawn Conan public domain stories but as Conan himself is trademarked he couldn't make a new story. Funcom at one point bought the rights to REH's stuff - which gave us the MMO - and Funcom was later bought out by Tencent.

he literally says who contacted him if you click through

edit: although my bad I guess cabinet (who owns conan properties international) IS what got bought by funcom? I still dont know why tencent is relevant to this, cabinet was like this long before that

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 23, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nuns with Guns posted:

Nah it doesn’t warrant a massive rant really don’t worry.

Namesake’s deal is this: It starts with a girl not named Dorothy (this is part of the initial mystery) being pulled into Oz and learning that there are people called Namesakes who are doomed/destined to repeat certain stories to shore up the fundamental Symbolic Magic of the universe.

Which is a fine enough premise and it starts out well. But to make a very long story short, it devolves into uh…a lot of very fanfic-y retcons and technobabble and so much goddamn technobabble as the stakes ever escalate and the plot becomes ever more obtuse. The art can be very pretty though, though a lot of people in CCCC actually didn’t like the art and found it cluttered? Idk. I don’t have strong opinions on that one.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Namesake’s deal is this: It starts with a girl not named Dorothy (this is part of the initial mystery) being pulled into Oz and learning that there are people called Namesakes who are doomed/destined to repeat certain stories to shore up the fundamental Symbolic Magic of the universe.

That's basically the plot of Pratchett's Witches Abroad, right?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

That's basically the plot of Pratchett's Witches Abroad, right?
Imagine Witches Abroad but with no jokes and the throwaway joke vampire gets more screen time than Granny Weatherwax and the comic is actually about making the vampire and Magrat kiss.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's Witches Abroad crossed with Wicked crossed with thar "female YA protagonist" twitter account.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Splicer posted:

It's Witches Abroad crossed with Wicked crossed with thar "female YA protagonist" twitter account.

This is an excellent summary. But you’re still underselling the degree of AO3 fanfic with 300 chapters levels of “it’s chapter 267 and it’s time to asspull a bunch of technobabble and retcons” involved.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
my experience with the ppl who write and draw namesake was very negative lol. they are hiveworks staff and blew me off when i tried to warn them that one of the other hiveworks artists was a unabashed career scam artist like 6 years ago. it would have been financially inconvenient for them to do anything about it and would have required either tweedledee and tweedledum to have a spine i guess. never read the comic until it was posted in CCCC and its quite bad

e: sorry I'm still bitching about this stuff but its a relief to see people talk about comics outside of obligatory and insincere "professional courtesy"

fun hater fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 23, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The CCCC thread didn’t even post the ‘good’ stuff. It was still in the harmless YA novel phase before things get WILDLY stupid.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

The CCCC thread didn’t even post the ‘good’ stuff. It was still in the harmless YA novel phase before things get WILDLY stupid.

thats ASTOUNDING to me that what we read was the before times. holy moly lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WHAT

it was already so boring bad and stupid hahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I poo poo you not we didn’t even get to the “actually bad” stuff in relative terms. It’s a swan dive from what we saw before CCCC got bored.

Namesake eventually gets so obtuse that even I, connoisseur of garbage, couldn’t stick with it.