Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they're using the same film maker is that this new case somehow ties in to the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
#LockChristaUp

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Binged this in a couple of days after some people I follow on Twitter would not stop talking about it, glad I did.

This is really well-done, the acting is phenomenal.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just want to pop into this thread every few days just to remind myself how great this was. First time in a long while where I've really been drawn into a mystery story.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
The CGI recreations were spot on perfect, and I hope CGI handjob wins one of the tech Emmys

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
I love the concept of this show and it has some really funny moments but I really feel like they could've edited this down to half the run-time easily. I'm only 3 or 4 episodes in and they've covered the idea that Dylan's whereabouts are unknown for 30 minutes and Alex Tremboli's credibility like a dozen times in the exact same way. Half the show is a recap of the events covered in the previous 10 minutes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just finished watching this show with a friend and we both enjoyed it. I liked that it got a little deep in the end and was about preconceived notions and abuses of power. My favorite Kraz joke was when they were showing tweets about the show after it had blown up and one of the tweets was "That Kraz guy is going to get fired" right before it shows that he was.

I hope they cover a new mystery in the second season. I know people here are talking about how this story still has loose ends but the loose ends help sell the story since it wouldn't make sense for everything to be wrapped up nicely.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

frenton posted:

I love the concept of this show and it has some really funny moments but I really feel like they could've edited this down to half the run-time easily. I'm only 3 or 4 episodes in and they've covered the idea that Dylan's whereabouts are unknown for 30 minutes and Alex Tremboli's credibility like a dozen times in the exact same way. Half the show is a recap of the events covered in the previous 10 minutes.

I think this is part of the joke, because documentary series do this kind of thing all the time.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Started rewatching this show. One of my favorite jokes in the whole thing was when they were talking about Christa organizing a walkout on Rosh Hashana, and one of the Wayback Boys exclaims "Yo, Jew Day is AWESOME."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm sad that no one has put the handjob recreation scene on YouTube. I think I could get a few folks interested just from that wonderful satire.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Yessssssss

The last episode was a downer, with nothing good coming of the entire investigation, but I really loved how the revenge on Alex Trimboli came that day after all, and spared one of his two pizza slices

I'm gonna remember all these names from this show forever. Peter Moldanado, Sam Eckland, the rest... I ought to work the name Alex Trimboli into some practice problems for students sometime. Hope they're all back for season 2. So many classic ones. Probably the only show about high schoolers with good character development that's ever been made.

I think what I like about this show is that it's a low stakes drama -- no one's in any danger in this show, the worst threat for most of them is high school discipline, no one gives a gently caress, and half of the time the people being interviewed completely blow off what's going on -- yet the documentarians play it so straight and build a case with extreme quality and 3D renderings and transitions and narrative pacing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Pat Micklewaite?!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I watched the promo for this show and thought it was an one-off joke making fun of Serial/Making a Murderer, so it came as a surprise when I was browsing Netflix yesterday and saw the same thing as a full-fledged series.

It's pretty good. I don't think it was laugh out loud funny, other than a few jokes, but it was entertaining, pretty smart and such a good take on the stuff they parodied that it actually feels like a legit example of one of those things. Dylan is a good-rear end character, I thought he was gonna be the dumb "jock" for the whole series but he had some surprising depth to him. I agree with whoever said this could've been trimmed down to 4 episodes or so but honestly, the meandering in-show "editing" fits Serial to a tee. Alex Trimboli eating poo poo constantly is a thing I needed in my life. This is one of those things that I hope ends right where it ended, but if it gets a S2 I'm up for it. A girl I met during my exchange year in HS reminds me a LOT of Christa, except she was lovely and wouldn't spray-paint dicks on cars I KNOW YOU DID IT FESS UP

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
For all the S2 talk it sounds like maybe they're going to go with an all new mystery and cast, which is a shame but they've taken everything as far as it can go with this one and honestly, though they don't come out and say it, they essentially use the last 20 minutes of the final episode to spell out who did it and why.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In an interview they mentioned they're keeping the two kid filmmakers but everyone else will be new.

Kinda curious to see how they explain their presence; maybe Peter has to transfer to the private preppy school?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Narcissus1916 posted:

In an interview they mentioned they're keeping the two kid filmmakers but everyone else will be new.

Kinda curious to see how they explain their presence; maybe Peter has to transfer to the private preppy school?

Peter's a journalist, he'd go chasing a story if he heard about one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Narcissus1916 posted:

Eh, could be another mystery at the same school. Most of the students from season 1 were seniors and thus graduated, but I'm sure there's still rich veins of drama to mine at Hanover High School.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Eh, could be another mystery at the same school. Most of the students from season 1 were seniors and thus graduated, but I'm sure there's still rich veins of drama to mine at Hanover High School.

The teaser seems to imply a different school

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lycus posted:

Pat Micklewaite?!

Dude.

It's Ming.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
#WhoMovedTheCast tho

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I sat down and watched the first episode because you know, what the hell right?

5 hours later I had watched the whole first season. I couldn't stop. It was so good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just finished watching this. As someone who listened to Serial, I thought this was an absolutely spot-on and hilarious satire of the first season.

Really hope the second season is somehow a parody of the Bowe Berghdal season of Serial.

Born_to_Lose posted:

-In the text conversation where it is revealed that my boy Pat Mickelwait hooked up with not only Sarah Pearson but also her other hot friend, the start of the convo is something along the lines of "I can't believe he's on both our lists!" "Yeah he's not quite as big as *popular guy* though"... In other words, the reason Pat is getting action is he's got a huge dick.

Been a few days since I watched that episode but I thought it was actually the opposite - they talk about how the popular guy's dick isn't as big as Pat's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I stayed up way too late last night binging the entirety of this because it was so. loving. Good.

• Locked thread