Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010
Problem description: My computer makes clicking noises as it boots up and shuts down as well as going to sleep and waking from sleep. These clicks do not happen any other time while the computer is running or shut off, just when powering up/down.

You can hear them in this video of it shutting down, then powering up again (not sleep)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxQ2MUFJuAo

Some at :16, :25, :30-:35
And again at 1:42

From what I can tell the clicks come from both the motherboard area and the PSU:
The psu makes clicks when powering down and up, but not when sleeping and waking
The motherboard makes clicks when powering down and up, and also when sleeping and waking.

I googled but could not find anything relevant for the motherboard; any info on the psu problem would only turn up situations where it clicks but doesnt boot at all.

Attempted fixes: I removed the graphics card to eliminate that as a source of the clicking. I also discovered that the motherboard click only happens when the system loads and exits windows, not when it only loads BIOS. I'm not sure what to do about the apparent PSU noise.

It is not the hard drive, I disconnected that and the issue still occurred.

Recent changes: No, it is only a few months old and everything was bought brand new.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

System specs:
CPU - Intel Core i7 6700k 4.0GHz
CPU cooler - Corsair H100i v2
Motherboard - Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha ATX LGA1151
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage - ADATA Ultimate SU800 512 SSD
Western Digital Black series 1 TB HDD
Video Card - Asus Strix GeForce GTX 1070 O8G
Case - Phanteks Tnthoo EVOLV ATX mid tower
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ gold certified

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zapdos posted:

I'm not sure what to do about the apparent PSU noise.

It's possible that reseating the motherboard/RAM/PSU could help.

It's also possible that the noise continues unless the PSU/motherboard are replaced. Hardware noises like this can be difficult to remedy.

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

Zogo posted:

It's possible that reseating the motherboard/RAM/PSU could help.

It's also possible that the noise continues unless the PSU/motherboard are replaced. Hardware noises like this can be difficult to remedy.

I'll try reseating tomorrow.
I'm not bothered by the sound other than the possibility of there being larger problems. I'm guessing this is something I should definitely fix though?

(and thanks for the reply!)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zapdos posted:

I'll try reseating tomorrow.
I'm not bothered by the sound other than the possibility of there being larger problems. I'm guessing this is something I should definitely fix though?

(and thanks for the reply!)

If you want to be 100% sure your hardware is safe it's something to diagnose and resolve.

With those noises it's hard to know. Some PSUs can run for years with annoying coil whine noises. Then others can have noises for a few days/weeks and explode and do hardware damage.

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

Zogo posted:

If you want to be 100% sure your hardware is safe it's something to diagnose and resolve.

With those noises it's hard to know. Some PSUs can run for years with annoying coil whine noises. Then others can have noises for a few days/weeks and explode and do hardware damage.

Thats what I figured but I was really hoping to avoid replacing parts.

I tried reseating everything but the issue is still occurring. I did some more research online and found other people with psu clicks on startup and shutdown and it seems that its a relay making that sound, and a lot of people were saying it is normal? Still doesn't explain the motherboard though.

I'm going to contact EVGA and Asus and see if they can provide any info on the issue before I send anything back in. Do you think this is something I can do an RMA for?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zapdos posted:

...a lot of people were saying it is normal? Still doesn't explain the motherboard though.

I'm going to contact EVGA and Asus and see if they can provide any info on the issue before I send anything back in. Do you think this is something I can do an RMA for?

I'm not sure.

In my experience I've only dealt with noises like this that occurred on older hardware that was degrading (mainly PSU/GPU/motherboard coil whine). Stuff that was ineligible for RMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapdos
Nov 13, 2010

Zogo posted:

I'm not sure.

In my experience I've only dealt with noises like this that occurred on older hardware that was degrading (mainly PSU/GPU/motherboard coil whine). Stuff that was ineligible for RMA.

Ah alright, well I"ll wait and see what the manufacturers say then and go from there.

Thanks a ton for the help though, I really appreciate it!

• Locked thread