Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
:siren:Update:siren:

Episode 25: Completely Inappropriate

Naturally, on the last episode, I make an editing error, but nuts if I'm going to go through the time to re-encode everything.

For all the criticisms I had towards the end of the game, I still enjoyed it quite a bit! Certainly, coming from Federation Force and Other M, Samus Returns was a breath of fresh air and a return to proper Metroid form (for the most part).

Here are the Chozo Memory images for your perusal:

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't mind the Ridley fight. It was pretty fun. And I like to think this is the transition between Metal-Ridley and the organic Ridley you fight in Super Metroid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I took that last image to be them fleeing to Zebes or Tallon IV or some other Chozo colony, being welcomed, and taking over.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I took the last image as there being a Chozo usurper who started some type of rebellion or uprising or something.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

I took the last image as there being a Chozo usurper who started some type of rebellion or uprising or something.

Once I realized that the Chozo still standing was wearing an arm cannon (I thought it was some kind of religious idol on the 3DS's small screen), I'm leaning towards this as well. The Chozo know how to make Metroids, after all: a rogue Chozo opting to create Metroids as weapons rather than as janitors would be a great hook for Metroid 5.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
With the color coding going on, do you think Aeion has something to do with the X, and do you think the Chozo accidentally released the X while looking for more Aeion in a dug-too-deep situation?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah this Ridley is pretty much the bridge between Prime Meta Ridley and Super Organic Ridley. You even see in the post credit scene that Ridley left the robotic Claw behind once he recovered. Presumably after this fight he just shed his cybernetic implants.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is there a reason why we're spoilering out the final fight stuff?

I saw a couple of Basque-looking last names in the credits, so maybe they were all from Spain instead of Latin America. Perhaps Nintendo recruited a bunch of them from NOE to look over Sakamoto's shoulder and tell him to not go overboard.

Edit: I was partially right! They were Spaniards, but they were from the MercurySteam, not NOE, and Sakamoto brought them on willingly (and apparently gave them a good amount of freedom). I remember the grumbling from Metroid fans when Samus Returns was announced with them attached to it because they also made Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, which was quite bad.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 21, 2018

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

The second picture is so obviously them collecting/discovering aeion energy that I'm not sure how you two missed it, although maybe you figure it out later in the video

My interpretation of the chozo memory pictures is that the Chozo arrived on the planet, began to catalogue the native life, and then they discovered the Aeion energy coming out of it after those bat things preyed on the frog ones. So they created their mining bots and got to digging and studying it. Then they found the X which their warriors could hold back but not defeat. So they then created the Metroids, which were tame and did the job of eating X perfectly... until they started evolving which turned them feral for some reason. They sealed them away with the acid which apparently is effective at keeping Metroids at bay if not killing them, then they called for help and were explaining the situation to this other chozo after fleeing from and sealing the metroids further below, who then proceeded to murder them all, probably some kind of power grab take the metroids and/or X for themselves? From the lack of reaction and how they were on the frontlines fighting both X and Metroids and even standing in the acid no problem, I think those warrior chozo are actually robots akin to Torizo, not actual chozo warriors, with only a small handul of scientist chozo being on the planet besides that one they called for help from with the arm cannon. Their complete lack of reaction to the murders as well makes me think that.

It is weird that the X infected creatures changed color/shape though, given that them creating perfect copies is a plot point in Fusion. They did show the ability to fuse the forms of various beings they copied into new ones in Fusion, like with the SA-X's second form, as well but that doesn't seem to be what's happening here.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 21, 2018

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anyone's read the manga, remember that mother brain decided to betray the Chozo and support the space pirates instead. One of the Chozo pretended to defect along with her, but was actually working as a double agent. This might be related to that incident.

Alternately, this could be a case of a cleanup crew sent to make sure that knowledge of the Metroids dies with those scientists.

Lastly, I remembered another but of lore from the manga. The Chozo have evolved so much that committing violence is painful to them. That makes me think that the creation of the metroids happened a long time ago, and this was a different betrayal.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Guess we're spoiler tagging. I completely agree about the Ridley fight. Taken purely on its own, it's a really good boss fight, one of if not the best Ridley fight in the series. On the other hand it's such transparent, disingenuous fanservice wankery that disappointment was the primary emotion I was feeling while playing it. It doesn't help in the least that it entirely ruins the most memorable setpiece of Metroid II: the long, calm, brisk walk back to the spaceship with the Baby. The decision to lock a few upgrades behind Metroid food has to be one of the worst ideas in an otherwise decent Metroid game to date.

Basically, it's otherwise a great game but a handful of highly questionable design choices bring it down to good at best.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I thought the Proteus Ridley fight was a great addition to the remake, for a couple reasons. For one, the fight itself is absolutely balls to the wall crazy and a great test of your skills built up through the game. Second, the fight's backdrop is AWESOME, the planetary storm raging on in the back as you and Ridley battle it out looks great and serves as one of my counterpoint examples to people saying Samus Returns looks bad. And finally, from a lore perspective, it kinda bridges everything together, both for how the Space Pirates knew where the infant Metroid had gone at the beginning of Super, and for canonizing the Prime games beyond a shadow of a doubt/Ridley's recovery back to organic life. It can come off as pandering fanservice and I can't necessarily refute that, but fanservice is not, in itself, a bad thing when it's done well like it is here in my opinion.

As for the Chozo Memories, the promise of something new in a rogue Chozo warband has me salivating for Metroid 5.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the ridley fight was good, okay. really good. it could've been a bit better, the video mentioned setting up the encounter in super metroid which would've been a good touch but it was still a very well put together boss fight.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the Let's Play!

I kinda want to know if the cutscene of Samus jumping down to fight Ridley is different if you approach the ship from the right instead, assuming it's even possible to make your way completely 'round the other side.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Thanks for the Let's Play!

I kinda want to know if the cutscene of Samus jumping down to fight Ridley is different if you approach the ship from the right instead, assuming it's even possible to make your way completely 'round the other side.

It's not, the door is caved in. I tried during my collectathon video and cut it from the posted version.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It was a little frustrating to see you argue, a couple of attempts in, that one of the weaknesses of the fight was that it wasn't letting you counter him at all, when he'd done that counterable attack at the start of the penultimate phase and you'd completely ignored it. Sure, the Ridley fight is fan service, but it's very well-honed fan service. It's a good fight.

Regarding the Hornoad going purple when X'd, that's actually perfectly in-keeping with Fusion. Remember, they can totally mix-and-match their previous DNA, since they do it a couple of times in the game and the SA-X final boss mixes Samus' DNA with the Hornoad in its desperation phase. This just indicates that they already did it to make the Hornoad a bit meaner than its original cute-and-cuddly green. They attempted stealth on occasion in Fusion, but I don't think they would even think to try that yet because they're still pretty dumb while they're just absorbing feral creatures on SR388. It's only when the BSL arrives that they're inspired to try galactic domination.

I definitely like the Chozo Memories. The 'figure it out for yourself' aspect is kinda nice, even if it is a bit of a pain that you can't zoom in on the pictures for a better look. I just wish the Gallery had more options than one set of Chozo Memories. #6 is totally badass.

Finally, you asked what they call Samus in Prime. The Tallon IV wall texts refer to her as the Hatchling, and she's pretty good living proof that it's better to be smart and agile than to be overwhelmingly powerful. Screw you, Ultimate Warrior rating!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The last fight may take away agency from the Metroid Queen, but gives it to the hatchling. You might say the crystals blocking her path do that, but seriously? Oh no, not crystals, whatever will Samus d- *Samus Power Bombs and Screw Attacks her way back through SR-388*

Whether or not giving that agency TO the hatchling is a good thing (glances at Other M), well...

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
The REALLY dumb part is Samus leaving Ridley unconscious but alive and free. The smart thing to do would have been to take off, point all her gunship's weapons at him and unload. Yeah, I know Ridley canonically has to survive for Super Metroid, but you could have just had him fly away and hide at the end of the fight.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

DGM_2 posted:

The REALLY dumb part is Samus leaving Ridley unconscious but alive and free. The smart thing to do would have been to take off, point all her gunship's weapons at him and unload. Yeah, I know Ridley canonically has to survive for Super Metroid, but you could have just had him fly away and hide at the end of the fight.

Does Samus' ship have guns outside of Prime 3 though? Cause I don't think it does.

Even so though, the life was out of his eyes, and Samus had a delivery to attend to. Nitpicking this sort of thing in fiction feels kinda useless to me because if everyone in fiction was metagaming like a D&D player, it'd be extremely boring and there'd be no story.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 23, 2018

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

bladeworksmaster posted:

Does Samus' ship have guns outside of Prime 3 though? Cause I don't think it does.
:v: There's always a hard landing. Or two. Or however many it takes.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Even so though, the life was out of his eyes, and Samus had a delivery to attend to.
How long before this new blink-to-hide-from-Samus tech stops working?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Fish Noise posted:

How long before this new blink-to-hide-from-Samus tech stops working?

The deep dark secret of the series is that there's only, like, five Space Pirates. They're constantly scrambling to make it look like there's more of 'em, and hoping like hell that Samus never catches on.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The deep dark secret of the series is that there's only, like, five Space Pirates. They're constantly scrambling to make it look like there's more of 'em, and hoping like hell that Samus never catches on.

This is clearly the second greatest of science team's accomplishments.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

General Revil posted:

The other four pirates really hate Science Team.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

General Revil posted:

Tubes? TUBES!

I love science team.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope that there are more Science Team misadventures in Metroid Prime 4.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

get that OUT of my face posted:

I hope that there are more Science Team misadventures in Metroid Prime 4.

We will learn that they were fed to Ridley and replaced with a new even better Science Team.

Also I feel we have to give congrats to Ridley. This is the first time he has ever gotten the honor of being the final boss.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 23, 2018

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

bladeworksmaster posted:

I may be misremembering, but isn't Samus's ship canonically called a GUNship? Or is that just something I absorbed from the internet via osmosis?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also I feel we have to give congrats to Ridley. This is the first time he has ever gotten the honor of being the final boss.

Unless Zero Mission counts. I'm not deep into Metroid lore, so can somebody clear up for me what the relationship is between Mecha-Ridley and Ridley Classic?

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

DGM_2 posted:

Unless Zero Mission counts. I'm not deep into Metroid lore, so can somebody clear up for me what the relationship is between Mecha-Ridley and Ridley Classic?

Mecha Ridley is just a robot Ridley had constructed for giggles. That’s about it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'll keep saying it every time a Metroid game shows up - Fusion ended with Samus in a really weird and potentially fruitful place, plot-wise. Part-Metroid, hunted by the authorities... if there is some faction of possibly-rogue Chozo, wouldn't that be an interesting initial friendly face?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

DGM_2 posted:

I may be misremembering, but isn't Samus's ship canonically called a GUNship? Or is that just something I absorbed from the internet via osmosis?

Yeah and Samus is canonically called a bounty hunter despite not ever actually hunting bounties.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Yeah and Samus is canonically called a bounty hunter despite not ever actually hunting bounties.

...Fair point.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I believe that was either an invention of the localized games or the result of NOJ not understanding what "bounty hunter" means. I recall that Retro wanted to add bounty hunting sidequests to Metroid Prime 3 and NOJ balked at the idea. Seems to me more like they wanted her to be a special agent for the Federation instead.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, it was NOJ not really understanding what the actual term meant. In Samus' case, it really means "space policewoman."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Samus Aran, Spacecop" would be a great pulp sci-fi novel.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Asator posted:

I believe that was either an invention of the localized games or the result of NOJ not understanding what "bounty hunter" means. I recall that Retro wanted to add bounty hunting sidequests to Metroid Prime 3 and NOJ balked at the idea. Seems to me more like they wanted her to be a special agent for the Federation instead.
I forget which thread it was, possibly this one, but in Japan, Samus is supposed to be something that has no real equivalent in the West. They picked "bounty hunter" instead because they thought it's the closest equivalent. So for all the complaints people had about Other M, Sakamoto's revision of Samus as a bounty hunter is at least understandable on some level.

Also, those bounty hunting sidequests in Prime 3 would have had you team up with Gandrayda, Ghor, and Rundas. They nixed the idea but kept the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

get that OUT of my face posted:

I forget which thread it was, possibly this one, but in Japan, Samus is supposed to be something that has no real equivalent in the West.
So she's supposed to be some sort of space-ronin or something?

• Locked thread