Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Skill range is based on weapon equipped for the most part (some skills have built-in range). Sarah's Short Sword has a range of three columns, which I'm not sure is replicated on any other weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

HPanda posted:

Skill range is based on weapon equipped for the most part (some skills have built-in range). Sarah's Short Sword has a range of three columns, which I'm not sure is replicated on any other weapons.

(A) Trident has it. There are quite a few weapons that have this range. Dragonblade is another one I believe.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Ah, good to know. My equipment pulls have been kinda crappy until recently, so I'm lucky to have anything with decent range. I did get an Orichalcum Bow recently, and that is quite nice on spellblades (2 squares out in all directions). My new Sun Rod is also shaping up to be fun (cross range with lots of magic).

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
It took me a while to realize weapons affect attack range. They are also often unlocked only after getting the weapon to level 10 or so. Swords tend to have horizontal attack pattern while polearms have a vertical. Staves depend but can often have a cross pattern.

Attack patterns also have MEGA or GIGA designations. I guess these refer to the maximum skill level of a guardian ability the weapon affects?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

jyrque posted:

It took me a while to realize weapons affect attack range. They are also often unlocked only after getting the weapon to level 10 or so. Swords tend to have horizontal attack pattern while polearms have a vertical. Staves depend but can often have a cross pattern.

Attack patterns also have MEGA or GIGA designations. I guess these refer to the maximum skill level of a guardian ability the weapon affects?

I hope it's max rather than only, I'd really think twice about upgrading if I lost a bunch of utility for my lesser abilities.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Weapons that say 'Mega', 'Giga', etc are exclusively for that tier and not the tiers below it. If you have a character with a lot of Mega attacks and a nice Mega-boosting weapon, make sure not to upgrade that weapon if it goes up to Giga. This isn't too much of an issue in the long run because many of the recoded versions of characters have some of their Mega attacks turn into Giga attacks at 90, but your weapons outpacing your characters can lead to range issues in the short term. Weapons will also always tell you on the upgrade confirmation screen if their tier will change after upgrading, or at least that's the case as far as I'm aware.

The Weapon Mastery passive helps with this as it allows the range boost of your secondary weapon to also count, so you can have a Giga boost in one hand and a Mega boost in the other (or a Tera boost or a boost for the same tier that affects a different area and so on).

Seeric fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 1, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
There are weapons that grant both Mega AND Giga at once and at different ranges, but it has to be specified in the range window. This is pretty rare for now and could not be displayed in a more confusing manner, where on the weapon's range window the lower tier will appear as faded blocks while the primary will appear on top. It's either fully unleashed Trident or Violet Rod that has this, it specifically has Mega->Giga written on the weapon info.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Big shoutout to goons with lvl 99 Djagos with cross pattern attacks making last day Leviathan farming a cinch. :toot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jyrque posted:

Big shoutout to goons with lvl 99 Djagos with cross pattern attacks making last day Leviathan farming a cinch. :toot:

Everyone needs to get a Leviathan and take its skill boost to 100% because a full screen AOE (that can miss, but whatever) makes things like metal and re-code farming a joke.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
I would like to thank Dr. Video Games 0112 for making the Leviathan grind a painless affair.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Seriously, Dr Video Games has the best Djagos. Loving that crazy aoe that sideshots fuckers just out of normal range. Her and my Djagos are best buds in my game. Light that whole screen up then ask monsters if they heard the good news.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I *may* have been farming a little.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Picking double leviathans for the sea monster itself is not a good idea. The trash can be oneshot every round but the boss itself gains health from my maelstorm... :downsgun:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Didn't realize there was a thread for this. I've got some decent SS rank guardians plus Xena who is currently being leveled until I can RNA recode her for Treasure Hunter. I recoded my Kenton into RNA form because Spear Amp and Weapon Mastery sounded more appealing than the other options (and also if I change my mind, I won't have to farm Co-Op medals which I am garbage at doing).

I have a few questions because I didn't any answers in the OP:

How do I level up the U-gauge for guardians? Do I have to max out their skill boost or what?

When I do the co-op, I see everyone with Leviathan's and King Orblings, and while I have both of them up to level 99, I guess I don't have the insane gear needed to top the charts everytime? Or is there a certain set-up I'm missing?

For Sword/Staff hybrid units, is it more important to focus on Physical attack or magic attack to maximize how hard they hit?

Add me if you want, ID is 12067cbf, I've got Kenton RNA up (only level 49, working on it but I need a friend I can consistently full clear Metal Zone Hard since my last one switched his friend guardian) with a Trident (not unleashed so I have the Mega range on it) and a Gladius, plus Mithril Helm and Omega Carapace (one of my two Z class equipment pieces).

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Spellblades used both attack and magic, pretty sure evenly. Based on what I see in my game's numbers, pretty sure their damage is divided up, too. I have Samantha with a bow with lots of attack power but no magic, and her skills do lots of damage in two numbers. The grey number is high, the yellow number is low. Assuming this means high physical damage (not sure if element neutral, though) and almost no magic damage, which is lightning.

If this is the case, the difference only matters when going against enemies with greatly different resistances.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
What the heck is a capsule and why do some guardians have skills related to it?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

jyrque posted:

What the heck is a capsule and why do some guardians have skills related to it?

If it's the same as thr first game, it's something that'll show up on the board when the skill activates, and you can chain with it to get a buff.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

The Jumpoff posted:

I have a few questions because I didn't any answers in the OP:

The Jumpoff posted:

How do I level up the U-gauge for guardians? Do I have to max out their skill boost or what?

You have to reach 100% SB and then the U will begin to rise in the same exact way. The cap is still 0.2% per battle, but it will increase at about 1/3 the rate of SB. As someone who has been U grinding a bit and looking over at other people who have, I want to tentatively say dont worry about this yet as the rewards are not required for anything yet, more of a little bonus for using the character a lot (often astoundingly useless considering the effort involved.) I would say grab the U rewards from farmable bosses and such since you just have to merge a bunch of copies and dont actually grind U and don't worry about trying to get 100% U on every character you have.

The Jumpoff posted:

When I do the co-op, I see everyone with Leviathan's and King Orblings, and while I have both of them up to level 99, I guess I don't have the insane gear needed to top the charts everytime? Or is there a certain set-up I'm missing?

Equipment is important, but the key to the strategy is getting King Orbling to a high enough level that it's Magic Damage +10%, Chain skill unlocks. It's the reason sometimes you'll see the boss die in a turn or two, usually because there is a bunch of King Orblings in the same row or column buffing each other to the max (whatever that is, may just be uncapped right now) with every pincer. There isn't that much info on raid calculations yet I dont think. Based on personal experience, I found that putting my King Obling in front of my Leviathan increased damage slightly (KO pincering the boss with someone, while Leviathan sits outside,) but it could be misinterpretation of the game's horrible damage feedback system.

The Jumpoff posted:

For Sword/Staff hybrid units, is it more important to focus on Physical attack or magic attack to maximize how hard they hit?

It seems that in limited testing the damage is split no matter what, but it is entirely based on the kind of weapon you equip at 90%physical/90%magic. This makes hybrid units great, because you get to decide what type of damage you want them to have and the different RNA/DNA forms sort-of, kind-of seem to favor a Physical build or Magic Build. Not sure on the math, but because it's at 90/90 there is no benefit to splitting the damage, especially since choosing physical or magical equipment will NOT change their skills or ranges in any way, as they seem to have unique hybrid skills that will strike from the chain. Any [Element] Stab/Thrust etc type attack is basically a hybrid attack that will trigger from the chain and will deal physical, magical or both depending on what equipment you are using, but the range of the hybrid unit is oriented on themselves so the attack may not necessarily reach if they are too far away.

The Jumpoff posted:

Add me if you want, ID is 12067cbf, I've got Kenton RNA up (only level 49, working on it but I need a friend I can consistently full clear Metal Zone Hard since my last one switched his friend guardian) with a Trident (not unleashed so I have the Mega range on it) and a Gladius, plus Mithril Helm and Omega Carapace (one of my two Z class equipment pieces).

From OP, friend list is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Y54Ou_MzkEOHahBKC2j4k-ExI-cFLqWqfxGlmTSg2U/edit#gid=0

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
drat, we're getting 90 energy and a bunch of other stuff during the next update?!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Heads up: the next update rolls during today's maintenance. The scheduled downtime starts 10 PM PDT and will do the following:

• Achievements become unavailable! If you have any unclaimed achievement rewards or want to complete some easy ones, do it before the maintenance! No word on whether or not they are gone for good. However...
  • ...All achievements become unlocked meaning even more free stuff including energy! Could be achievement system becomes obsolete for good.
  • Whopping 90 free energy! Meaning 30 free gacha draws! This comes as compensation for changes in certain guardians. To be eligible all you have to do is have an active game account before maintenance starts. If you have a friend who's on the fence whether or not to play the game now's a great time to try the game out.
  • New story chapter!
  • New event!
  • Updated Pact lineup, probably meaning new guardians!
  • Bug fixes.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just got 387 free normal energy. Let the good times roll!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
The new selection of guardians is exclusive to pact ticket it seems. Good thing I got two out of the update!

Got S rank Uhse (a wind based mage) and SS Roland.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

jyrque posted:

The new selection of guardians is exclusive to pact ticket it seems. Good thing I got two out of the update!

Got S rank Uhse (a wind based mage) and SS Roland.

I have a Roland myself, he's awesome.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Man, soon much energy. Got Djangos and a lot of good equipment so I'll save the rest of my energy for now. Sorta feels like we're on a prolonged beta test and I'm weirdly okay with that.

I like how even some of the B units have niche uses. I have one with Hawks Eye and oh man that adds to the treasure hunting fun.

kontona
May 3, 2003

does "sort" not work?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I've never had it working. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Sort has never worked which is completely insane.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Saving all my normal energy for good Equipment pacts, since my guardian setup has more SS/Z units than I can actually field, but is hurting for S/SS/Z rank weapons.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Jumpoff posted:

Saving all my normal energy for good Equipment pacts, since my guardian setup has more SS/Z units than I can actually field, but is hurting for S/SS/Z rank weapons.

Unleashed A rank weapons aren't too shabby to be honest. Though I did pull a z rank dagger :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

Unleashed A rank weapons aren't too shabby to be honest. Though I did pull a z rank dagger :D

Yeah, I've got a lot of enhancers/sun blades for people without weapon mastery, and since i have very few mages worth using. I do have a Z-rank Yoichi bow that makes her Terashot cover a ridiculous area (although I might put that on Kenton).

• Locked thread