Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
I've gone and done it now. An American living in the Middle East with Australia's favourite crawler - a 1992 Y60 Patrol. What the hell am I doing? Living out a very conflicted dream in a very conflicted location.

After flying to Abu Dhabi, bribing officials to let this car through the border since there's a straight-up ban on old vehicles where I live, and about a dozen failed inspections, I (technically) legally own this left hand drive beautiful beast. It sounds like a Nissan should, drives like a pickup, and has wheel wells that extend 3 inches beyond the body on either side.

It's got a carbureted TB42 that purrs like a lion and a standard gearbox. I have no idea what this thing is capable of yet, but all I know is I want to make it even more capable and use that capability everywhere so everyone knows I'm very capable. Any Aussie goons have suggestions beyond the obligatory OME suspension?

Also, I've never had to deal with a clutch before, but it seems to be having issues. I was told it needed to be replaced, but it seems deeper than that. Sometimes when I press or release the pedal, it seems to let out some compressed air in a hiss that lasts a few seconds. Also, it won't shift into first unless I force it or I'm at a full stop.

Anyway, I'm loving enamored with this thing right now. It's staying with me until I have an offspring who deserves it for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, is this the first Patrol we've had in AI? I do like their chunkiness. Tough old beasts, too.

Are you sure the clutch "hiss" isn't a noisy release bearing or pilot bearing?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

poo poo, I had no idea they made factory LHD of those. I'd love on of those... and drat, looks clean as hell. Congrats.

An air hisssss noise is kind of strange though. Release bearings can and often do make noises, but generally when they are unloaded (unless they are really bad and well on their way to failure). Not sure about the noise but is your pedal travel right and is it entirely engaging? Can you take a vid with sound of the noise?

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
It only happens very occasionally and the clutch pedal seems to have lightened weight for a little while when it goes off. I think I'll replace the throw-out bearing when I replace the clutch soon and hopefully it'll go away. Didn't know they made noise. Next time it happens I'll try to reproduce it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I assume you've got a hydraulic clutch. Make sure you check the fluid level and also for leaks on the reservoir, slave and lines to and from. It's entirely possible they are original. And yeah, if you do the clutch always do the throwout and pilot bearing at the same time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

I assume you've got a hydraulic clutch. Make sure you check the fluid level and also for leaks on the reservoir, slave and lines to and from. It's entirely possible they are original. And yeah, if you do the clutch always do the throwout and pilot bearing at the same time.

Yeah I'd look at hydraulic issues if replacing the clutch doesn't solve your problems. I had tons of issues with the clutch not fully disengaging in my Ford, with the release point wandering all up and down its travel, and it turned out to be a faulty CMC. I even put a rebuild kit in the old one, and it didn't help. No obvious external leaks, but just constant weirdness. Been perfect since I put an aftermarket master cylinder in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My friend you are in Patrol heaven.
There is going to be a mechanic in your area that deals specifically with TB engines, seeing how they still offer the y61 in the MEA as part of the 'old style' model.
Theyve been turboed, slammed, lifted, supercharged, built, blueprinted, swapped and rebuilt from tire to tip and then some.

(Also when you get bored of it someone will gladly take it off your hands for a pretty sum)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 21, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I got to drive a Turbodiesel Patrol in Qatar, I loved it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've seen crazy hillclimb videos of these things but never actually seen one that wasn't bristling with eighty turbos and barking fire.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Well I removed the communist. Trying to bleed the clutch line ended up in it being completely drained of blood. The corrupt cylinder was greedily retaining all of its fluid in the reservoir!

Should I just order another one or attempt a rebuild? They're about $90 new.

I've never worked on a car not thoroughly caked in free rust protection grease before. I feel so spoiled.

Reacon fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 22, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Take it apart and see if the bore is trashed. If not, no reason not to try a rebuild kit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Take it apart if you want, but I'm the opposite viewpoint. For $90 I'd just buy a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I know the TD42 versions of those had such a massive heavy clutch in them that they were vacuum assisted.

Good thing your in the Middle East tho with a TB42. Mate had one before his landcruiser (TB42 carb AUTO) and it wouldn't use less than 30L/100

There's heeeeeaaaaps of TB42e's in Australia with EFI and rotted out bodywork. If you ever get the shits with the carb you can probably source the entire EFI kit for the price of an average weeks commute.

Or drop a TB48 in....

• Locked thread