Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

all this computing is is exhausting our hardware!

that's what she said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mozi posted:

Therefore, the presence of these effects implies that this is either a really crappy simulation or is just the way things actually are.

Also, if everything we know about computing is based on glitches in the sim 1 level up, it means they're likely using totally different technology up there and all these assumptions based on our own computers regarding the capabilities of the sim mean even less

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Was it here that someone made a thread like "wow! Did i just solve [long standing physics or math problem]??" because he was high

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

the "laws" of physics are only true to the extent that they correctly reproduce experimental results. if you have a "law" that is violated by an experiment, even if only in one region of space, then the law is wrong.

that's not really how it works though. classical mechanics are a very good and accurate model for a lot systems and, despite being violated at very small scales, they are not "wrong".

Translation invariance is a really huge deal in physics and science in general. If it was found to be violated in just one specific spot, it would be absolutely insane and raise a lot of fundamental questions.

quote:

i feel like there is a probabilistic argument you can make that any such "glitch" would have to appear in more than one localized region of the universe (for the same reason that if one byte in memory can be corrupted then any byte can be). we would then see these "glitches" as generic (if maybe rare) features of the universe and wouldnt think of them as glitches.

if the malfunction of the simulation doesn't break the internal logic and consistency of the simulation, i.e. it doesn't reveal to the simulation that it's a simulation, it's not really a glitch. that's just good exception handling. a glitch is something that really breaks the simualtion and makes its result worthless. Like all textures in the universe suddenly being replaced with the face of Urkel. That's a glitch that might not be reconcilable with science(although it may be, I dunno) and make a belief in a natural, ordered universe impossible forever.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

munce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLs9NEt9LRQ

A video that's just been put up from a NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts conference. This one is about another propellantless space engine called the mega drive. It's still in the lab but it looks like it works and they are planning a probe that will get up to 0.4c and reach Proxima Centauri in 20 years.
Can anyone explain this in big dummy terms? It sounds like these plates are expanding and contracting rapidly and it moves a long like an inch worm?

EDIT: I got farther along, and its not that all. I have no idea what it is though.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 28, 2017

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

DrPossum posted:

sorry about your cp problem perv

you sound upset about something. if you work in supersymmetry sorry about your crappy models I guess??

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

munce posted:

It's still in the lab but it looks like it works and they are planning a probe that will get up to 0.4c and reach Proxima Centauri in 20 years.

This is really cool.

e:

quote:

An array of lasers on Earth will then be used to direct a powerful laser approaching 100 gigawatts at this sail, accelerating it to 20 percent of the speed of light in a matter of minutes.

:getin:

ee: how does it slow down once it gets there???

munce
Oct 23, 2010

eSporks posted:

Can anyone explain this in big dummy terms? It sounds like these plates are expanding and contracting rapidly and it moves a long like an inch worm?

EDIT: I got farther along, and its not that all. I have no idea what it is though.

"It really is very complicated" is how she responds to one of the other turbonerds in the video, so I don't think you're going to get a simple explanation.

I'm no expert on any of this, so all I can say is you can look up the Mach effect and the Woodward effect, which are the principles that the thing is supposed to work on.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

COMRADES posted:

This is really cool.

e:

:getin:

ee: how does it slow down once it gets there???

I guess maybe the craft reorients it's sail at the right time, so light from the destination star will cause it to slow.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The laser sail and the mega drive are two different projects, unless they're starting this out with a laser? I didn't watch the whole thing yet. A regular sail probe has been proposed but it would by necessity be a flyby (and in 100,000 years it's going to crash and destroy an alien city in the next spiral arm).

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Fusion of quarks discovered to release 8 times more energy than nuclear fusion. “If I thought for a microsecond that this had any military applications, I would not have published it,” says co-author Marek Karliner. hmmm....

Nature aritcle:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v551/n7678/full/nature24289.html

And a less technical one:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2017/11/03/fusion-technique-hydrogen-bomb/

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

CountryMatters posted:

you sound upset about something. if you work in supersymmetry sorry about your crappy models I guess??

sfuck ur sposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

munce posted:

Fusion of quarks discovered to release 8 times more energy than nuclear fusion. “If I thought for a microsecond that this had any military applications, I would not have published it,” says co-author Marek Karliner. hmmm....

Nature aritcle:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v551/n7678/full/nature24289.html

And a less technical one:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2017/11/03/fusion-technique-hydrogen-bomb/

What about power bottom quarks?

• Locked thread