Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Looking forward to that update, hope it comes out. This game deserves a complete quality screenshot LP and based on your work so far, I think you can deliver one. Keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 09: Vizima Confidential

------

Last time, we ventured down to the Vizima sewers to hunt a cockatrice in order to earn our release from prison. Down there, we met a rather stuffy gentleman named Siegfried, a knight of the Order of the Flaming Rose, and he watched our back when we fought and killed the monster. Now, we just need to bring the creature's head back to Vincent Meis, the captain of the city guard.

Odd. Few would dare venture here.

More drowners? Wouldn't be a surprise, this place is crawling with the little bastards.

Welp, that's not a drowner.

Somehow, these Salamandra assassins knew we were in the sewers. Did the Professor have enough time between his release and us coming here to tip them off?

Who knew you'd be in the sewers?

The captain of the guard, the loon from the jail, and the prisoners. I fought the cockatrice for my freedom.

Hmm. A limited number of suspects. You'll likely solve the mystery when you find the leader of those bandits. I have a friend in Vizima, a detective. See him for help.

Where are you headed?

I have things to attend to at my quarters. Then I'll venture out in search of beasts, as the world is still filled with them.

You did well, Siegfried. Glad we met. I need to recover my things.

Siegfried turned out to be a pretty decent guy despite being a Knight of the Order. Not only did he help us out with the monsters, but also gave us that tip about the detective.

Here's the key for the passage to town. A few days ago, I locked the door to keep the cockatrice in.

Thanks. I'd rather not go back the way I came.

We might meet again if you ever visit the sewers. At times I venture down here in search of monsters.

Ah, your sacred mission of protecting humankind?

Your sarcasm is unnecessary. We're on the same side, witcher. You'll realize this one day.

Farewell. And thanks.

Not much else to do here, so might as well follow Siegfried out of the sewers. There is the Lionhead Spider cultist lair somewhere in the sewers and we'll check that out at some stage, but we should at least get our equipment back first.

Welcome to Vizima. We'll be spending a lot of time in the Temple Quarter, so better get used to it.

As we emerge from the sewers, one of the first things we see is this odd relief on the wall. We can't do anything with it right now, but it might be something to keep in mind for later.

We'll go meet the detective shortly, but first I want to get our stuff back and have a chat with Vincent.

Our map isn't particularly helpful right now, but at least we know to head to the eastern part of the Temple Quarter.

The building up ahead is St. Lebioda's hospital, probably the most important landmark in the Temple Quarter. It's not the most pleasant place in the world:

St. Lebioda Hospital journal entry posted:

The hospital, named after the prophet Lebioda, was set up in a former temple of Melitele. To this day a triple-bodied statue of the goddess stands inside. Nurses and novices work there, trying to help those struck by the plague. It is not a pleasant place, filled with the moans of the suffering and the stench of their excretions. Those who do not survive the disease, meaning the overwhelming majority, are thrown into a pit behind the hospital. Every once in a while, the bodies are burned to prevent the plague from spreading. Recently the Order of the Flaming Rose placed the hospital under its protection.

Immediately to the north of the hospital is the Peddler Street, which is lined with various stalls and shops.

From there, we head southeast to reach the Heroes of the Guard Street and the guardhouse at the end.

This is where we find the dungeon and, of course, Vincent. Vincent doesn't seem to be at his post, though, so I suppose we're heading to the dungeon.

Next to the dungeon entrance, we find a notice board. Let's see if they've got any lucrative work for a witcher around here...

The swamp, eh? I don't think we can get there unless we find some way to get past the quarantine, but we'll keep that in mind.

The gardener at St. Lebioda's wants us to kill some echinopsae. We're going to need the echinops entry in our bestiary to harvest the parts he needs, though.

Hey, it's our good buddy Kalkstein from earlier, and this time he wants alghoul marrow for his alchemy stuff. We should stop by and say hello at some point.

The gravedigger wants us to kill stray dogs. That's not really witcher's work, though, is it?

Finally, Siegfried wants ten drowned dead tongues. That's all the jobs on offer at the moment, so let's head inside.

Might as well go talk to Jethro first so we can get our equipment.

Take your belongings from the trunk before I sell them. And remember the reward on the cockatrice's head. Vincent gets very excited about trophies. Ah, I can finally relax. I'll inspect what we've confiscated here. Hmm, good quality gear...

As it turns out, we're carrying so much stuff that we need to leave something behind. As far as I can tell, we can't just move stuff from our inventory to a chest unless it's specifically for storing our stuff, so this gets a bit fiddly. Eventually we manage to get all our important items back, and Jethro can keep the barghest skull and a few pints of beer. For some reason, I'm now imagining Geralt taking a full pint of beer out of his pocket like Adrian Edmondson in Bottom.

Don't leave the Temple Quarter.

You must be kidding.

We keep a close eye on you witchers.

Didn't I hear you say that everyone's equal...?

Impressive. That's 400 orens reward. Well deserved.

Do you handle monsters, too?

I'd rather not waste my men on that. I pay anyone who kills a monster. Just bring proof.

What pays best?

Right now my budget includes reward money for the cockatrice in the sewers and for some bloodthirsty plant that kills people in the swamp.

So just the echinopsae, then.

True.

A special reward - this runic stone. Use it well. The city should offer more rewards soon.

How's the Salamandra investigation going?

Patience, witcher. All will be explained tonight.

Any way I can help?

Stay clear of the warehouses in the slums. It's a sensitive case that doesn't require your sword... just yet.

So, obviously, we'll be going there pretty soon.

It's a secret operation. How do you expect me to go - with an assault team in full plate armor and a bugler? Relax, I'm no rookie and I got a few things up my sleeve.

No doubt...

Err... We'd rather just have the witchers' secrets back, if that's okay with you.

Our next order of business is going to be "get rid of all this useless crap in our inventory" and we'll get on that right now.

The Svarog rune stone is another temporary sword upgrade, which imbues blades with magic. Not too shabby, although much like the grindstones I always forget I have these things.

Before we do anything else, let's sell off some of this crap on Merchant Street. Sadly, the merchants that'll buy most of the stuff we're carrying aren't around just yet because it's so early in the morning. At least there's these two guys, I guess.

I don't think I want to know. Anyway, this guy buys food and drink items, so we're offload some of the more useless ones. The other merchant deals in jewelry and luxury goods, but we don't have much of that stuff to sell.

Let's just go and shove all this crap into storage. To do that, we're going to have to find an inn, and there happens to be one down here in the slums.

There are some dogs down here we could kill if we were going to do the errand for the gravedigger, but let's just leave them be for now. Besides, I'm more interested in that guy yelling about bribing guards.

Well then, that's some pretty useful information.

Apparently, this thug has been dealing drugs to Jethro. That might be something to keep in mind.

Anyway, here's the inn. Let's head inside.

There's a bunch of stuff we can do here, but right now we're only interested in storing our items so let's have a chat with the typically grizzled innkeeper.

We'll just shove all our useless crap into storage, and then we're off to... err, what were we doing? Oh yeah, meeting up with that detective.

If we feel like it, there are plenty of prostitutes Geralt can pick up around here (and earn a card because of course), but we don't have time for that kind of stuff now. This lady is special, though - the fact she has a name and it's in green indicates she's an NPC of some importance.

Depends. I'm open to suggestions.

Let's talk.

All right, we'll chat... but I'm counting on more.

Surprise me.

Let's see where this goes.

Many girls like you working in Vizima?

Plenty. But I'm the prettiest.

No doubt. Any work for a witcher?

Some men are troubling my girls. Take care of it and we'll compensate you... generously.

There're three places they frequent at night...

Mark them on my map.

Right. Obviously, we'll have to wait until nightfall to actually complete this quest, but at least we know where we need to go to help out these ladies.

The Order's armorer here sells an "excellent leather jacket", a nice upgrade for Geralt's armor. Unfortunately, we don't have money to buy it right now.

Meet Detective Raymond Maarloeve. Yes, that is his name, and he also talks like a noir detective, with the voice actor doing his best Humphrey Bogart impression. CD Projekt Red didn't feel like being subtle when it came to this guy.

I'm looking for some information. Is this where I'll find it?

Good question. I used to work for the lawyers Codringher and Fen. Satisfied?

The names mean nothing to me, but I'll assume that's a recommendation.

As a professional, you understand information has its price...

Azar Javed. Name mean anything to you?

I've heard it... Why are you looking for Javed?

Usually I charge for information, but I'll give you this bit for free...

Kikimores, as you may recall, are insectoid monsters that were introduced in The Lesser Evil, where Geralt rode into Blaviken with a dead kikimore in tow.

I suspect Salamandra has built a large scale operation, with gold simply greasing the wheels of their political ambitions. They're conducting genetic experiments, dangerous ones. Regular thugs wouldn't have the knowledge or means...

Who's working for Javed? Any guesses?

The captain of the guard, who dropped that investigation, disappears nights. Maybe you can squeeze some information out of him.

Is that all?

We might have one more lead. The city guards detained someone who could provide information.

The guards? At the city jail?

Yes. Find a way to question that prisoner. In the meantime, learn what you can from the guards.

Count on it. People open up to me all the time.

He may be one of the leaders, though in this town the guards capture pawns while the big fish swim free. We'll know for certain once you question him.

We'll see.

That's as good a start as any. Now, if there's nothing else, we should get going.

You don't say.

Wait here a while. Make them nervous.

Surprise those who want to surprise you. I'll leave at midnight.

There was other stuff I wanted to do during the day, but whatever. Might as well see what's going on with these guys following us.

Oh, what a surprise. It's the Professor.

The Professor walks off, and Geralt decides to go say hello to his little buddies.

So much for that ambush.

Next up, we'll go find out why Vincent Meis is sneaking around at night and going into random warehouses in the slums.

This guy doesn't seem to mind us being here, so let's enter.

There's Vincent, and there's a bunch of Salamandra goons. This looks suspicious, but we shouldn't do anything drastic just yet.

Err, Vincent, you're kinda out of the frame so if you could just... oh, never mind.

And yeah, we could just go right ahead and accuse Vincent of working with Salamandra, but that seems a bit rash because we don't know anything about what's going on here. Let's just hold our horses and find out what the whole deal is about.

Let's not play "Who killed who." That's the past, we're interested in the future. Your future, which will be unpleasant if Javed learns you cheated him. And believe me, he'll learn shortly if you don't start talking...

You're bluffing, you don't scare me...

The Professor?

I don't know. He went off somewhere...

Bullshit. You need encouragement...

You promised me protection in exchange for me testimony... On my mother's grave, I know nothing! Stop him... You're a cop. This is murder, you gonna stand by and watch?

Hm. I guess Vincent isn't much for proper procedure. He's still more than a little suspicious and may or may not have Javed on speed dial, so we'll need to interrogate him later.

Justice has prevailed... or something to that effect.

One of the thugs was carrying some fisstech, which we'll put in our pocket for safe keeping.

And here we go. Our first day in Vizima proper has been full of excitement and intrigue, and next time we'll go see how Vincent will explain himself as well as hopefully find some more clues. We should also pay Shani a visit at some point...

------

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 14, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Welcome back and keep up the good work!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Make sure you get that barghest skull back!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc Morbid posted:

Good question. I used to work for the lawyerd Codringher and Fen.
Also, I do believe the professor "ambush" is both the first time Geralt just allows the bad guys to stroll away, and one of the many frustrating times when Geralt initiates a fight but doesn't actually draw his sword until the bad guys had time to surround him and start tearing out his kidneys.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Xander77 posted:

Also, I do believe the professor "ambush" is both the first time Geralt just allows the bad guys to stroll away, and one of the many frustrating times when Geralt initiates a fight but doesn't actually draw his sword until the bad guys had time to surround him and start tearing out his kidneys.
Yeah, Geralt took quite a beating at the start of the fight there. Thanks to the camera angle, I couldn't even see anything at first.

Good catch on the typo there as well. With The Witcher, I'm having to transcribe the dialog manually because Capture2Text doesn't work too great with these subtitles. It was fine in Jade Empire and Persona 2 because those games had white text on a dark background, but since the text here is on top of the game graphics it just freaks out the OCR completely and results in a garbled mess 90% of the time.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 12, 2018

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Despite liking the game and how it allows you to do thing sort of out of order, this part is something I dislike exactly because of that. So many quests start almost simultaneously but the game seems to think you're doing them one at the time. At times I had the feeling that I was missing entire stages of ongoing quests. The warehouse quest is an example. Vincent Meis is thinking on his feet when Geralt shows up uninvited and that part is fine. Afterwards he's acting as if he and Geralt had planned it all along and I was really confused. He does say something happens "tonight" in the warehouse but the quest text doesn't convey that and I at least left the quest alone for like a week of in-game time.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Valiantman posted:

Despite liking the game and how it allows you to do thing sort of out of order, this part is something I dislike exactly because of that. So many quests start almost simultaneously but the game seems to think you're doing them one at the time. At times I had the feeling that I was missing entire stages of ongoing quests. The warehouse quest is an example. Vincent Meis is thinking on his feet when Geralt shows up uninvited and that part is fine. Afterwards he's acting as if he and Geralt had planned it all along and I was really confused. He does say something happens "tonight" in the warehouse but the quest text doesn't convey that and I at least left the quest alone for like a week of in-game time.

I was just about to post something to this effect, and it's right around here and in particular Geralt's interactions with Vincent that it becomes really apparent. There's also the part where Vincent says "all will be explained tonight" after Vincent asks him how the investigation's going, as if they had spoken about it before... but they hadn't, because Geralt was off killing a cockatrice. This bit, after Geralt arrives in Vizima, seems to have a litany of pacing and flow issues that I don't recall there being in other parts of the game- it feels particularly disjointed and awkward in a way that you can't really lay at the foot of translation issues. (Which have their own goofy charm, as in the pear/peach conversation between Geralt and Carmen, which is just kind of :rolleyes: )

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like how things come together to give the impresstion that there's this understanding between the guard captain and the Witcher that we as the players aren't entirely privy to, regardless of how it was actually intended to play out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Let's Read Andrzej Sapkowski's The Witcher

Book 1: The Last Wish

Story 7 - The Last Wish

The Voice of Reason - part 6 posted:

Nenneke wants Geralt to stay a while. If he's hiding from Yennefer, then he should know she already visited the temple, and didn't bother asking about his whereabouts. Geralt would still rather leave before she returns, and asks Nenneke to give Yennefer the jewels he got as payment for slaying the Striga.

quote:

'I wouldn't do this if I were you. You'll make her even more furious, if that's possible, believe me. Leave everything as it is, because you're no longer in a position to mend anything or make anything better. Running away from her, you behaved . . . well, let's say, in a manner not particularly worthy of a mature man. By trying to wipe away your guilt with precious stones, you'll behave like a very, very over-mature man. I really don't know what sort of man I can stand less.'

'She was too possessive,' he muttered, turning away his face. 'I couldn't stand it. She treated me like-'

'Stop it,' she said sharply. 'Don't cry on my shoulder. I'm not your mother, and I won't be your confidante either. I don't give a poo poo how she treated you and I care even less how you treated her. And I don't intend to be a go-between or give these stupid jewels to her. If you want to be a fool, do it without using me as an intermediary.'

Geralt just means the jewels can help pay for a healer that will fix Yennefer's... "condition". Nenneke insists that's impossible - sorceress' pay for their magical power and bodily transformation with irreversible infertility. If anything, Geralt should worry about his own health - that trance session with Iola he keeps avoiding would really help sort him out.

Geralt would just as soon not engage in anything that could cause Iola to peer into the future. He's pretty sure the future doesn't hold anything of value for him. To change the subject, he asks about the greenhouse they're in.

quote:

Nenneke smiled. 'You see, Geralt, this bright sun of ours is still shining, but not quite the way it used to. Read the great books if you like. But if you don't want to waste time on it maybe you'll be happy with the explanation that the crystal roof acts like a filter. It eliminates the lethal rays which are increasingly found in sunlight. That's why plants which you can't see growing wild anywhere in the world grow here.'

'I understand,' nodded the witcher. And us, Nenneke? What about us? The sun shines on us, too. Shouldn't we shelter under a roof like that?'

'In principle, yes,' sighed the priestess. 'But . . ..'

'But what?'

'It's too late.'
Huh. I forgot that some early foreshadowing of the White Frost in the very first book. Not quite where it ends up going, but close enough.

Letting the reader know that Geralt and Yennefer won't find a comfortable "happily ever after" before even telling the story of how they've met is a pretty bold move. Let's see if it pays off.

The Last Wish posted:

Geralt and Dandelion are fishing for their supper. Dandelion manages to lose his initial catch, but ends up hooking a tangle of branches and ooze with an amphora in the middle, a magic-looking seal upon it. Dandelion has read enough stories to know exactly what that is - a genie that will grant him three wishes! Geralt, on the other, knows enough about magic to assure him that: A) You don't find a Djinn just lying around, sealed in a pot B) Djinns are terribly dangerous, so don't mess with anything that might contain one. They tussle for control, break the drat thing open, and some smoke starts pouring out, coalescing into a monstrous, beaked head.

Dandelion is not the least bit taken aback:

quote:

'Run!' yelled the witcher. 'Run, Dandelion!'

'My wishes,' continued the poet, 'are as follows. Firstly, may Valdo Marx, the troubadour of Cidaris, die of apoplexy as soon as possible. Secondly, there's a count's daughter in Caelf called Virginia who refuses all advances. May she succumb to mine. Thirdly-'

The Djinn is not amused.

Geralt strikes with his silver sword and the Aard. The Djinn tosses Dandelion aside, but otherwise seems undamaged, turning to attack the witcher.

quote:

Geralt, not having the least idea of what to do, squeezed the seal in his fist and, extending his hand towards the assailant, screamed out the words of an exorcism a priestess had once taught him. He had never used those words until now because, in principle, he didn't believe in superstitions.

The effect surpassed his expectations.

The seal hissed and grew hot, burning his hand. The gigantic head froze in the air, suspended, motionless above the river. It hung like that for a moment then, at last, it began to howl, roar, and dispersed into a pulsating bundle of smoke, into a huge, whirling cloud. The cloud whined shrilly and whisked upstream with incredible speed, leaving a trail of churned-up water on the surface. In a matter of seconds, it had disappeared into the distance; only a dwindling howl lingered across the water.

Dandelion is badly injured, beyond Geralt's healing abilities He takes him to the nearest town, but has to wait for dawn before being allowed to enter. They spend the night in the barbican (guardhouse outside the walls), alongside the city-elves Chireadan and Errdil, as well as the half-elven knight Vratimir. Thankfully, they're able to help take care of Dandelion, and can recommend a healer that will both save his life and leave him able to sing despite the damage to his throat - Yennefer of Vergerburg.

Wizards aren't particularly welcome in Redania, particularly powerful females who are notorious for giving absolutely no fucks about public opinion. She is forced to stay at the home of a trade ambassador from Novigrad to avoid persecution.

Geralt races there with the dawning sun. The guard won't let him through at this hour, so he knocks him out. The household is still experiencing the after-effects of yesterday's party, the ambassador wandering the kitchen in a naked alcoholic daze, looking for apple juice for his honored guest. Geralt fetches the juice upstairs:

quote:

A heavy smell of sour wine, candles and overripe fruit hung in the air. And something else, that brought to mind a mixture of the scents of lilac and gooseberries.

He looked around. The table in the middle of the chamber bore a battlefield of jugs, carafes, goblets, silver plates, dishes and ivory-handled cutlery. A creased tablecloth, which had been pushed aside, was soaked in wine, covered in purple stains and stiff with wax which had trickled down the candlesticks. Orange peel glowed like flowers among plum and peach stones, pear cores and grape stalks. A goblet had fallen over and smashed. The other was in one piece, half full, with a turkey bone sticking out of it. Next to the goblet stood a black, high-heeled slipper. It was made of basilisk skin. There wasn't a more expensive raw material which could be used in the making of shoes.

The other slipper lay under a chair on top of a carelessly discarded black dress with white frills and an embroidered flowery pattern.

For a moment Geralt stood undecided, struggling with embarrassment and the desire to turn on his heel and leave.
Maybe that would have been a better idea?

:nws:[url]https://i.imgur.com/RoOajUT.jpg:nws:[/url]

He manages to Heliotrop a defense, so that he's not knocked out on the spot, and explain that he's here to get help for his friend.

quote:

'May I?' She touched his cheek and looked him in the eyes. He clenched his jaw. 'Do your pupils automatically adapt to light or can you narrow and dilate them according to your will?'

'Yennefer,' he said calmly, 'I rode nonstop all day from Rinde. I waited all night for the gates to open. I gave your doorman, who didn't want to let me in, a blow to the head. I disturbed your sleep and peace, discourteously and importunately. All because my friend needs help which only you can give him. Give it to him, please, and then, if you like, we can talk about mutations and aberrations.'

'If it's all that complicated then wait. An aftertaste in my mouth, dishevelled hair, sticky eyes and other morning inconveniences strongly affect my perceptive faculties. Go downstairs to the bath-chamber in the cellar. I'll be there in a minute and then you'll tell me everything.'

'Yennefer, I don't want to be persistent but time is pressing. My friend-'

'Geralt,' she interrupted sharply, 'I climbed out of bed for you and I didn't intend to do that before the chime of midday. I'm prepared to do without breakfast. Do you know why? Because you brought me the apple juice. You were in a hurry, your head was troubled with your friend's suffering, you forced your way in here by breaking heads, and yet you thought of a thirsty woman. You won me over, so my help is not out of the question. But I won't do anything without hot water and soap. Go. Please.'

'Very well.'

'Geralt?'

'Yes?' he stopped on the threshold.

'Make use of the opportunity to have a bath yourself. I can not only guess the age and breed of your horse, but also its colour, by the smell.'

'Beautiful scar,' she smiled, looking at his chest. 'What was it? Did you fall under the blade in a saw-mill?'

He didn't answer. The sorceress continued to observe him, tilting her head coquettishly.

'The first witcher I can look at from close up, and completely naked at that. Aha!' She leant over, listening. 'I can hear your heart beat. It's very slow. Can you control how much adrenalin you secrete? Oh, forgive me my professional curiosity. Apparently, you're touchy about the qualities of your own body. You're wont to describe these qualities using words which I greatly dislike, lapsing into pompous sarcasm with it, something I dislike even more.'

Yennefer turns invisible so that they may continue their conversation while she bathes. Water and soap do mark contours, and Geralt stares, distracted, as she interrogates him about the nature of the Djinn in question. Dandelion is resting at Errdil's, supervised by Chireadan. Yennefer conjures a portal there - Geralt may hate portals, but she isn't going to set foot on the street.

quote:

'I can't walk the streets of this town,' she cut him short. 'They're not too crazy about me here. They might insult me and throw stones - or do something worse. Several people are effectively ruining my reputation here, thinking they can get away with it. Don't worry, my portals are safe.'

Geralt had once watched as only half a traveller using a safe portal flew through. The other half was never found. He knew of several cases where people had entered a portal and never been seen again.
Needs must though - Geralt hugs the sorceress and jumps through. They arrive in one piece, and Yennefer kicks everyone out of Dandelion's room, leaving Geralt and Chireadan to discuss why she might be offering her services:

quote:

'I didn't think you'd find it so easy, if I'm to be honest,' Chireadan went on. 'Yennefer isn't the most spontaneous of people when it comes to help. Others' troubles don't particularly bother her, and don't disturb her sleep. In a word, I've never heard of her helping anyone if there wasn't something in it for her. I wonder what's in it for her to help you and Dandilion.'

'Aren't you exaggerating?' The witcher smiled. 'I didn't have such a bad impression of her. She likes to demonstrate her superiority, it's true, but compared with other wizards, with that whole arrogant bunch, she's walking charm and kindliness personified.'

Chireadan also smiled. 'It's almost as though you thought a scorpion were prettier than a spider,' he said, 'because it's got such a lovely tail. Be careful, Geralt. You're not the first to have judged her like that without knowing she's turned her charm and beauty into weapons. Weapons she uses skillfully and without scruple. Which, of course, doesn't change the fact that she's a fascinating and good-looking woman. You wouldn't disagree, would you?'

Geralt glanced keenly at the elf. For a second time, he thought he saw traces of a blush on his face. It surprised him no less than Chireadan's words. Pure-blooded elves were not wont to admire human women, even the very beautiful ones, and Yennefer, although attractive in her own way, couldn't pass as a great beauty.

Each to their own taste but, in actual fact, not many would describe sorceresses as good-looking. Indeed, all of them came from social circles where the only Fate for daughters would be marriage. Who would have thought of condemning their daughter to years of tedious studies and the tortures of somatic mutations if she could be given away in marriage and advantageously allied? Who wished to have a sorceress in their family? Despite the respect enjoyed by magicians, a sorceress's family did not benefit from her in the least because by the time the girl had completed her education, nothing tied her to her family anymore - only brotherhood counted, to the exclusion of all else. So only daughters with no chance of finding a husband become sorceresses.

Unlike priestesses and druidesses, who only unwillingly took ugly or crippled girls, sorcerers took anyone who showed evidence of a predisposition. If the child passed the first years of training, magic entered into the equation - straightening and evening out legs, repairing bones which had badly knitted, patching hare-lips, removing scars, birthmarks and pox scars. The young sorceress would become attractive because the prestige of her profession demanded it. The result was pseudo-pretty women with the angry and cold eyes of ugly girls. Girls who couldn't forget their ugliness had been covered by the mask of magic only for the prestige of their profession.

No, Geralt couldn't understand Chireadan. His eyes, the eyes of a witcher, registered too many details.
Yennefer summons Geralt to Dandelion's room. The floor is covered in runes and pentagrams, Dandelion is having happy dreams of Virginia, and Yennefer asks Geralt for the seal on the Djinn's bottle, so that she may try to summon it. Geralt is willing to part with the seal, provided he's allowed to escort Dandelion to safety... but while they banter, the slow background magic woven about the room renders him helpless.

Yennefer need Dandelion to make a third wish, so that she is free to bind the Djinn to her will. Meanwhile, Geralt will run a few errands for her:

quote:

'Don't struggle, my little witcher.' She smiled spitefully. 'It's pointless. You've got a strong will and quite a bit of resistance to magic but you can't contend with me and my spell. And don't act out a farce for me, don't try to charm me with your hard and insolent masculinity. You are the only one to think you're insolent and hard. You'd do anything for me in order to save your friend, even without spells at that. You'd pay any price. You'd lick my boots. And maybe something else, too, if I suddenly wished to amuse myself.'

He remained silent. Yennefer was standing in front of him, smiling and fiddling with the obsidian star sparkling with diamonds pinned to her velvet ribbon.

'I already knew what you were like,' she continued, 'after exchanging a few words with you in Beau's bedroom. And I knew what form of payment I'd demand from you. My accounts in Rinde could be settled by anyone, including Chireadan. But you're the one who's going to do it because you have to pay me. For your insolence, for the cold way you look at me, for the eyes which fish for every detail, for your stony face and sarcastic tone of voice. For thinking that you could stand face to face with Yennefer of Vergerberg and believe her to be full of self-admiration and arrogance, a calculating witch, while staring at her soapy tits. Pay up, Geralt of Rivia!'

She grabbed his hair with both hands and kissed him violently on the lips, sinking her teeth into them like a vampire. The medallion on his neck quivered and it felt to Geralt as if the chain was shrinking and strangling him. Something blazed in his head while a terrible humming filled his ears. He stopped seeing the sorceress's violet eyes and fell into darkness.

Geralt wakes up in the city jail, accompanied by Chireadan. He went through the town, battering and humiliating various notables and councilmen who had besmirched Yennefer's honor. He also managed to take out a whole squad of the local guard, barehanded. Just before he assaulted the town temple and its guards, to get a priest Krepp, Geralt grasped his head and fell over. Chireadan is in jail because he stopped the guard from murdering the witcher on the spot.

The prison guards were asked to have a word with Geralt, on behalf of the notables he had insulted. In-between brief bursts of excitement, the guards want to know whether Geralt has anything to say. Eventually, he admits he has a minor complaint about the beating he's currently enduring - he dearly wishes the guard would go ahead and blow the gently caress up.

He does.

That causes enough of a ruckus for the mayor and Krepp the priest (the one who exorcised Yennefer's influence over Geralt) to summon Geralt and Chireadan for an interview. Reviewing the evidence, the matter is clear; Geralt is the one who first got his hands on the magic seal, and the one who gets the wishes. Blowing up the torturer was his second wish. Expelling the Djinn was his first - the incantation he was taught was "go gently caress yourself" in an ancient tongue. Needless to say, the Djinn is a bit upset.

Yennefer rouses Dandelion and tosses him into a portal which lands him at Geralt's feet.

quote:

I repeat, that the last thing I remember was an elegant woman dressed in tastefully co-ordinated black and white. She threw me into a shiny hole, a magic portal for sure. But first she gave me a clear and precise errand. As soon as I'd arrived I was immediately to say, I quote: "My wish is for you to believe the witcher is not guilty for what occurred. That, and no other, is my wish." Word for word. Indeed, I tried to ask what all this was, what it was all about, and why. The black-haired woman didn't let me get a word in edgeways. She scolded me most inelegantly, grasped me by the neck and threw me into the portal.

Yennefer assumes that Dandelion used up his wishes, and the Djinn can now be captured and controlled. At the moment, it has transformed into a hugely destructive cyclone, destroying the town around Erridil's home. Krepp is of the opinion that letting the Djinn have his vengeance on the witch before it flies away is the smartest course of action, but Geralt would rather reconstruct the portal and come to Yennefer's rescue.

quote:

'You must be mad. Even if a passage like that doesn't tear you to pieces, what do you expect to gain by it? Do you want to find yourself in the middle of a cyclone?'

'I asked if you can cast a spell which could stabilise the trace.'

'Spell?' the priest proudly raised his head. 'I'm not a godless sorcerer! I don't cast spells! My power comes from faith and prayer!'

'Can you or can't you?'

'I can.'

'Then get on with it, because time's pressing on.'

'I'll stay,' said Krepp, when the door had closed behind Dandelion and the elf. He waved his hands in the air, creating a pulsating aura around himself. 'I'll spread some protection, just in case. And if the portal does burst . . . I'll try and pull you out, witcher. What are eardrums to me? They grow back.'

Geralt looked at him more kindly.

The priest smiled. 'You're a brave man,' he said. 'You want to save her, don't you? But bravery isn't going to be of much use to you. Djinns are vengeful beings. The sorceress is lost. And if you go there, you'll be lost, too. Examine your conscience.'

The house is being battered by the Djinn, but the defenses hold - until it manages to create a portal inside to bypass them.

quote:

But the genie didn't attack. He hung in the air just below the ceiling, swelled to an impressive size, goggled at Geralt with his pale eyes and roared. There was something in that roar, something like a command, an order. He didn't understand what it was.

'This way!' shouted Yennefer, indicating the portal which she had conjured up on the wall by the stairs. In comparison to the one created by the genie, the sorceress's portal looked feeble, extremely inferior. 'This way, Geralt! Run for it!'

'Only with you!'

They flew out in a tight embrace, fell onto a marble floor and slid across it, knocking over an enormous candlestick and a table from which crystal goblets, platters of fruit and a huge bowl of crushed ice, seaweed and oysters showered down with a crash. Screams and squeals came from around the room.

They were lying in the very centre of a ballroom, bright with candelabra. Richly-clad gentlemen and ladies, sparkling with jewels, had stopped dancing and were watching them in stunned silence. The musicians in the gallery finished their piece in a cacophony which grated on the ears.

'You moron!' Yennefer yelled, trying to scratch out his eyes. You bloody idiot! You stopped me! I nearly had him!'

'You had poo poo-all!' he shouted back, furious. 'I saved your life, you stupid witch!'

She hissed like a furious cat, her palms showered sparks.

Geralt, turning his face away, caught her by both wrists and they rolled among the oysters, seaweed and crushed ice.

'Do you have an invitation?' A portly man with the golden chain of a chamberlain on his chest was looking at them with a haughty expression.

'Screw yourself!' screamed Yennefer, still trying to scratch Ger-alt's eyes out.

'It's a scandal,' the chamberlain said emphatically. 'Verily, you're exaggerating with this teleportation. I'm going to complain to the Council of Wizards. I'll demand-'

No one ever heard what the chamberlain would demand. Yennefer wrenched herself free, slapped the witcher in the ear with her open palm, kicked him forcefully in the shin and jumped into the fading portal in the wall.

Geralt is intent on getting Yennefer away. She is intent on controlling the Djinn and kicking Geralt in the balls. Eventually, she throws him around and magically binds him. He clues her in on the basic mistake she's making.

quote:

'You haven't got enough strength left, Yennefer.' '

You underestimate my strength. The wish,
Geralt!'

'No, Yennefer. I can't . . . The djinn might fulfil it, but it won't spare you. It'll kill you when it's free. It'll take its revenge on you . . . You won't manage to catch it and you won't manage to defend yourself against it. You're weakened, you can barely stand. You'll die, Yennefer.'

'That's my risk!' she shouted, enraged. 'What's it to you what happens to me? Think rather what the djinn can give you! You've still got one wish! You can ask what you like! Make use of it! Use it, witcher! You can have anything! Anything!'

Dandilion snatched the hat decorated with a heron's feather from his head, spat into it, threw it in the mud and trampled on it, spitting out words in various languages as he did.

'But he's . . . 'he groaned suddenly, 'still got one wish in reserve! He could save both her and himself! Mr Krepp!'

'It's not that simple,' the priest pondered. 'But if . . . If he expressed the right wish ... If he somehow tied his fate to the fate . . . No, I don't think it would occur to him. And it's probably better that it doesn't.'

But he suddenly knew the truth. He knew it. He knew what she used to be. What she remembered, what she couldn't forget, what she lived with. Who she really was before she had become a sorceress.

Her cold, penetrating, angry and wise eyes were those of a hunchback.

He was horrified. No, not of the truth. He was horrified that she would read his thoughts, find out what he had guessed. That she would never forgive him for it. He deadened that thought within himself, killed it, threw it from his memory forever, without trace, feeling, as he did so, enormous relief. Feeling that-

The djinn opened his mouth and stretched his paws towards her.

The witcher suddenly understood what it was he wanted.

And he made his wish.

'It's shattered the entire house! Nobody could survive that! Nobody, I tell you!'

'The witcher, Geralt of Rivia, has sacrificed himself for the town,' mayor Neville said ceremoniously. 'We won't forget him. We'll revere him. We'll think of a statue . . .'

Dandilion shook a piece of wicker matting bound with clay from his shoulder, brushed his jerkin free of lumps of rain-dampened plaster, looked at the mayor and, in a few well-chosen words, expressed his opinion about sacrifice, reverence, memory and all the statues in the world.

But of course, the two live.

quote:

'Your wish,' she whispered, her lips very near his ear. 'I don't know whether such a wish can ever be fulfilled. I don't know whether there's such a Force in Nature that could fulfil such a wish. But if there is, then you've condemned yourself. Condemned yourself to me.'
So there you have it - the main cast of the books is now all introduced. The magical connection between Yennefer and Geralt forms the basis for those parts of the overarching plot of the Witcher-verse that aren't concerned with his unexpected child.

They're both deeply broken people, full of pride that won't allow them to ask for the emotional support they desperately need. And, on a more superficial level, Yennefer is a control-freak (and a bitch) while Geralt is a freaking teenager, unable to handle his feelings to the point he pretends he doesn't have any. He flees responsibility despite outright wishing for it.

We'll have a chance to go over their relationship in the following books though. Besides establishing this relationship, there really isn't much to talk about. Krepp is possibly the most decent member of the clergy ever depicted in the witcher universe.

By the way, the story (as opposed to my summary) actually keeps the nature of Geralt's first wish secret up to a point, to act as a punchline - but then shows its cards way before the reveal, when Yennefer titters about the meaning of the "exorcism spell". Lame.

We've come to the end of the first book. Only took me a few months. There's still an epilogue left though, so stay tuned for that.

Witcher powers:

* Heliotrop proves to be a defensive charm against magical attacks as well as sonic damage.

* The witcher medallion more explicitly acts to resist magic.

* Geralt uses "a Sign" to strike at the Djinn, to no avail. Could be a specialized attack sign, could be another Aard.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Let's Read Andrzej Sapkowski's The Witcher

Epilogue - The Voice of Reason part 7

quote:

Falwick and Tailles, accompanied by a company of the duke's guards bar Geralt's way as he rides into town. Geralt is going to have to duel Tailles, like it or not.

The witcher sincerely doubts that. For one, he's perfectly capable of slaughtering every guard present. More to the point, the guards damned well know this, and will run the moment he draws steel, with Falwick and Tailles heading the retreat.

Dennis Cranmer, the dwarven captain of the guard, would beg to differ.

Whether or not anyone else present will run from an armed witcher, he's been given a task by the duke, and isn't in the habit of fleeing.

Fine. Geralt will face Tailles, armed with a borrowed, heavy blade. Oh, and if he dares lay a finger on a knight of the White Rose, he will be arrested and handed over to the order for punishment. Falwick advises the witcher to take his maiming and be glad if that's as far as matters go.

After a few dodges that make Tailles lose his rhythm, Geralt simply slams his blade against Tailles' just as the knight's sword is held against his own face.

(The story doesn't mention Geralt wearing a blindfold, but illustrators apparently think the Hexer series is actually a good source of inspiration).

Tailles is left with a scar across the entirety of his face.

Falwick orders the guards forward, but Cranmer stops them. After all, Geralt laid neither finger nor blade upon the esteemed knight. (Parenthetically, the White Rose knights might try being a bit less racist when they need the cooperation of a non-human).

quote:

'Cranmer!' roared Falwick, tearing his sword from the ground, 'you'll be sorry for this, I swear!'

The dwarf turned around, slowly pulled the axe from his belt, coughed and spat into his palm. 'Oh, Count, sir,' he rasped. 'Don't perjure yourself. I can't stand perjurers and Prince Hereward has given me the right to punish them. I'll turn a deaf ear to your stupid words. But don't repeat them, if you please.'

'Witcher,' Falwick, puffing with rage, turned to Geralt. 'Get yourself out of Ellander. Immediately. Without a moment's delay!'

'I rarely agree with him,' muttered Dennis, approaching the witcher and returning his sword, 'but in this case he's right. I'd ride out pretty quick.'

'We'll do as you advise.' Geralt slung the belt across his back. 'But before that I have words for the count. Falwick!'

The Knight of the White Rose blinked nervously and wiped his palms on his coat.

'Let's just go back to your Chapter's code for a minute,' continued the witcher, trying not to smile. 'One thing really interests me. If I, let us say, felt disgusted and insulted by your attitude in this whole affair, if I challenged you to a fight on this very spot, what would you do? Would you consider me sufficiently worthy to cross blades with? Or would you refuse, even though you knew that by doing so I would take you to be unworthy even to be spat on, punched in the face and kicked in the arse under the eyes of the foot soldiers? Count Falwick, be so gracious as to satisfy my curiosity.'

Falwick grew pale, took a step back, looked around. The soldiers avoided his eyes. Dennis Cranmer grimaced, stuck his tongue out and sent a jet of saliva a fair distance.

'Even though you're not saying anything,' continued Geralt, 'I can hear the voice of reason in your silence, Falwick, sir. You've satisfied my curiosity, now I'll satisfy yours. If the Order bothers Mother Nenneke or the priestesses in any way, or unduly intrudes upon Captain Cranmer, then may you know, Count, that I'll find you and, not caring about any code, will bleed you like a pig.'

Geralt and Dandelion say goodbye to Nenneke before leaving with some alacrity. Iola fetches his elixirs and healing supplies. As she hands them over, their hands briefly touch, and they get a shared vision of the future. A vision of Geralt's (?) death, in terrible agony.

He's seen it before. There's no point in looking over his shoulder as he rides away.
A plot thread that's really more relevant to the first game, where the knights of the White Flaming Rose play a greater part.

All things considered, it rather seems like most witchers meet an ugly and violent demise, so seers really should have learned that by now.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
And before they meet that demise, they give it to a lot of monsters, human and otherwise. :D

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Xander77 posted:

After all, Geralt laid neither finger nor blade upon the esteemed knight.

I mean, if that's how you want to interpret the rules, Geralt could have just kicked him in the balls and been done with it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Stroth posted:

I mean, if that's how you want to interpret the rules, Geralt could have just kicked him in the balls and been done with it.
That's just me being fancy. The point is that Geralt didn't actually touch him.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So that's the origin of Geralt and Yennefer. Makes me glad they are living out a lovely marriage on a winery in notFrance.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I just want to say how being reminded me of the novels made me appreciate The Witcher 3's stories even more. I don't suppose it's too much spoilers to say that Geralt isn't cured of his amnesia in this game or in Witcher 2 but somewhere in between 2 and 3 (if anyone thinks so, I'll edit this out). Storywise Witcher 1 kinda reboots the story and 2 is a pretty great followup for it but neither really continues the novels. The third game on the other hand manages to expand on both the earlier games and the novels in a way that is worthy of both.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'll be posting an update tomorrow, unless my computer explodes or something. I don't have any excuses for dragging my feet this time (aside from the usual issues with my stupid broken sadbrain wanting to kill me), I just haven't felt like doing anything not work-related.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 7, 2018

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Xander77 posted:

Great writeup, as usual. Even more so - it finally gives me an excuse to vent about stupid nerd stuff - spoilers for the books and for W3 under the tags.

GOD, do I hate the 'reveal' of the wish's wording. What exactly did Geralt wish for was, not surprisingly, a matter of debate for terrible nerds in Poland (I remember arguing about that in the dial-up modem era) and 'Ooohhh, bind our fates together' is just such a wet fart. Maybe it's just me being too attached to my pet theory but after the exchange between Geralt and Nenneke in Voice of reason, after Yennefer's reaction to it (quoted in Xander's post), after everything that happened in the later books - the answer that makes most sense is that the wish was for them to have a child. And that wish is fulfilled in Ciri.

That's pretty much it. Thank you for letting me share.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

RedSnapper posted:

Great writeup, as usual. Even more so - it finally gives me an excuse to vent about stupid nerd stuff - spoilers for the books and for W3 under the tags.

GOD, do I hate the 'reveal' of the wish's wording. What exactly did Geralt wish for was, not surprisingly, a matter of debate for terrible nerds in Poland (I remember arguing about that in the dial-up modem era) and 'Ooohhh, bind our fates together' is just such a wet fart. Maybe it's just me being too attached to my pet theory but after the exchange between Geralt and Nenneke in Voice of reason, after Yennefer's reaction to it (quoted in Xander's post), after everything that happened in the later books - the answer that makes most sense is that the wish was for them to have a child. And that wish is fulfilled in Ciri.

That's pretty much it. Thank you for letting me share.

That's a very interesting theory! I've never participated in any form of Witcher fandom, and it never occurred to me that there might be a debate as to what the wish entailed. I can see playing around with the exact specific wording, maybe, but that Geralt specifically asked for their fates to be entwined seemed obvious from the text to me? If anyone asked, my version of the wording would be "I wish for our lives to be one" since he specifically was trying to prevent the Djinn from killing her. The thing to keep in mind here is that the first Witcher book is very much a riff on European fairy tales. When it comes to wishes, fairytale logic deals mostly with consequences of not knowing what you ask for. Clever wordplay to get results is the realm of trickster stories, and pan Sapkowski seems weirdly uninterested in those.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

My computer didn't explode just yet and the update is on the way, but it's probably going to be delayed until tomorrow because I didn't have a lot of time to work on it today. Sorry about that. :sweatdrop:

I'm also going to prepare a bunch of updates this time around, so I have some sort of a backlog going on.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I am sorry, but I'm going to have to officially put the LP on hiatus for the time being. I genuinely tried to put together an update this past week, but it turns out my life is such a garbage fire at the moment that I just can't focus on doing an LP (at least anything that requires effort) until things get better, and frankly I don't know if they ever will. :smith: This really loving sucks, because I was enjoying playing the game and doing these updates whenever I was able to. Despite its reputation as a game unsuitable for LPs, The Witcher itself is not the problem here.

I'll keep the thread open in case I get around to posting the occasional update (and for Xander's excellent Let's Read writeups - thanks a lot for posting so much great content and, frankly, keeping the thread going these last couple of months while I've been busy or just useless).

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hope you can update again soon, that's all I can say. And thanks for what content you were able to post thus far.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm sorry to hear about that. But, as always, life is more important than LPs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The curse strikes once more :(

Good luck.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, LPing wears on you by itself and should be put aside when more important stuff happens. Good luck!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Could you post your save file?

Oh, and a basic breakdown of how you get the images for the LP?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

If you're planning to continue the LP where I left off, that'd be fantastic and I'd be glad to help in any way I can. To capture images, I just go through the recorded gameplay footage in Adobe Premiere and then hit the Export Frame button when I need to. Then I batch resize and convert to JPGs in Irfanview, and upload the final images to LPix.

I actually have the images for the next update ready to go, I just never got around to writing the update itself: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xy6wS1EGB8BE3b52oUoOns3Rjpc_4PQQ

As for my saves, I went through the 750 meg folder to figure out which of these million save files might be the the one for this point of the LP. It should be one of these: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q1PQ0ZYC1OdRx8_Bw2d8AWaCPVgnOIFA

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

*getting excited*

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Valiantman posted:

*getting excited*
I still have to finish my Aviary Attorney LP and figure out a bunch of stuff.

I should have done this via PMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm excited too. I love this game, and am prepared to wait for whatever timing is necessary.

• Locked thread