Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What resolution is your TV? I play on a 1080 projector and I dont get letterboxing

It’s 4K. Get the same thing when I hook it up to my computer monitor too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Ineffiable posted:

No there's like 3 kinds of turns to watch out for. Two very sharp turns where you slow down a lot, two turns where you probably want to manage your acceleration through it and a curve that you can take flat out in most cars.

I think it's such a fun track because there's not a whole lot to memorize and it sates my need for lead foot

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I am super psyched for this weekend's F1 race on Monza, given I've actually driven the track a ton on GT.

In fact, GT makes me want to find a nice sports car series (Gr3) that races on its tracks.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Jovial Cow posted:

It’s 4K. Get the same thing when I hook it up to my computer monitor too.

Fiddle around with the video settings, I think there's options to resize/move the displayed area.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mandalay posted:

I am super psyched for this weekend's F1 race on Monza, given I've actually driven the track a ton on GT.

In fact, GT makes me want to find a nice sports car series (Gr3) that races on its tracks.

Yeah I’m sure you’re aware but the codemaster f1 series is a great way to stay involved with the f1 weekends. You can run any official tracks you want and get to really know the tracks before the weekend hits

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ethanol posted:

Yeah I’m sure you’re aware but the codemaster f1 series is a great way to stay involved with the f1 weekends. You can run any official tracks you want and get to really know the tracks before the weekend hits

I tried F1 2017 and found that I am really bad at racing F1 cars. Really really bad. Unenjoyably so. I would need to dedicate a few hours to get good enough and I would just have more fun in GTS.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mandalay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlKtJYY0tks

The Blancpain GT series, and it's cousin the Intercontinental GT Series, use the Group3 (aka GT3) cars, and race a lot of the famous tracks you'll know from GT Sport and maybe other racing games. Monza, Suzuka, Mt. Panorama (as the Bathurst 12 Hours), the Nurburgring (both short and the full Nordschleife, though that's only the Nurburgring 24 Hours), and also tracks that should be in the game like Spa Francorchamps.

Other series use the Gr3 cars as part of the series in mixed class racing -- the traditional form of endurance racing, where faster classes and slower classes intermingle and share one track while a race is going on. This is what you see at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, which has four classes and three types of cars - fast P1 prototypes, slower P2 prototypes, and GT cars that are very similar to Gr3 (some Gr3 are based on the Le Mans style, others are GT3). Japanese Super GT uses the Gr2 cars as the top class and Gr3 as the secondary class, and those races can be found on NISMO TV with English commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gEw3PFjFF8

GT racing is a lot of fun to get into.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Semi-relatedly, I’m kinda excited for the Blancpain Assetto Corsa game.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

DevCore posted:

Fiddle around with the video settings, I think there's options to resize/move the displayed area.

I figured it out, in the PS4 display settings menu outside of the game there’s a section to adjust display size but it only affects certain apps (it looks like mostly first party games so GTS, MLB the show, etc). But for third party games and general overall usage it makes no difference and those inherently take up my whole screen so I never thought twice to go to that screen.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Apologies for the double post, and I’m sure you all already know this, but this game is awesome with a wheel. I just got my fanatec last week and am loving it. My times have dropped considerably and the races I’m in at the front of the grid are long multi lap races where each car is so close to one another but there’s almost no contact. It’s exhilarating to overtake and be overtaken several times per lap for multiple laps in a row.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jovial Cow posted:

Apologies for the double post, and I’m sure you all already know this, but this game is awesome with a wheel. I just got my fanatec last week and am loving it. My times have dropped considerably and the races I’m in at the front of the grid are long multi lap races where each car is so close to one another but there’s almost no contact. It’s exhilarating to overtake and be overtaken several times per lap for multiple laps in a row.

Yeah, racing games are a totally different experience once you use a wheel instead of a controller. If you enjoy clean, wheel-to-wheel racing, check out our Goon Turismo league! We race Saturday and Monday nights and are always happy to have more people to race with!

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

TremorX posted:

Yeah, racing games are a totally different experience once you use a wheel instead of a controller. If you enjoy clean, wheel-to-wheel racing, check out our Goon Turismo league! We race Saturday and Monday nights and are always happy to have more people to race with!

I’m almost always out and about Saturday nights but I could maybe join for the Monday night one make series.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 11, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

We really do have people of all skill levels so you always have someone near you to pressure you or someone to chase.

Its a lot of fun!

We have a discord so join that. We host random practice nights and you're always welcome to join those.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Anyone know if reporting someone does any good? Some dick kept trying to punt me off during a race for the win in the closing laps. I still won and he apparently got kicked from the race or something since he DNF'd, but it made me curious since I've never felt the need to do it before.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Tire choices in the FIA races now... I managed to completely gently caress my race. Didn’t even set a time on SS tires in qualifying. Then got damage after 3 laps in the race and had to pit.

I feel like the best strategy in the manufactures race would have been 1 stop starting on super soft and putting a new set halfway and some fuel if needed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Am I imagining things, or with this 1.25 update, is driving clean so much harder? I keep getting SR hits even when I don't touch someone.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm watching the GT Sport event in Austria and they are driving on the Fuji Speedway. Meaning the Fuji Speedway's gonna be in the game at some point in the near future! Perhaps in a patch next week since it's the end of the month.

edit: the Nations Cup final is a 22 lap race on the Red Bull Ring in modified X2014s, this is dope

edit 2: that race was AMAZING, more entertaining than any F1 grand prix this year. I'll link it with the timestamp once it's up

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 22, 2018

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hasn't Fuji been in promotional events before? Like early early time public demos?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Hasn't Fuji been in promotional events before? Like early early time public demos?

I know it was in GT6, and I know it’s less than a two hour drive from Tokyo to the Speedway itself. And we know they did some work there to record the Super GT cars once upon a time.

And we know there is a live event there AND a WEC round there in early October.

I smell a late September update coming.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So, Gran Turismo Tour races:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx6yUCp7q9A&t=2428s pretty fun three lap race around Le mans with 25x tyre wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx6yUCp7q9A&t=5112s Nations Cup final, incredibly fun and exciting X2014 race around the RBR with two mandatory driver swaps.

Also, Jimmy Broadbent commentating.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That RBR one was some of the most exciting racing I’ve watched in a while!

I hope that penalty system finds its way into the home game. Makes more sense than being able to shave it off on corners or brake slam at the finish line.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

So we are getting Catalunya in the next update. This is good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is a really weird long shot, but anyone running fanatec Load Cell pedals and a wheel of some sort through GIMX?

I have mine working in GT Sport, but its not quite right, and I'm wondering if someone can share a config

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ghetto Blaster posted:

So we are getting Catalunya in the next update. This is good.

I hate that track. But... I think I can at least run it reasonably. (TT beat that track into me..) The red bull ring is just a mystery to me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I watched the EU Finals. Some fuckin' good racing and the presentation is excellent.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Used the V12 Vantage GT3 for the first time on the Suzuka daily race after I got it in a daily reward. That is an excellent car. Super steady through the Esses and isn’t bothered at all clipping the curbs. Managed to put down a lap time in the 2:03’s which for me is basically unheard of and got my first ever podium coming in second. Guess I gotta try out more cars with similar stats because that thing really seemed to suit my driving style.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

The Audi TT is also super stable. I recommend checking that one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The new thread is located here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871948

• Locked thread