Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Chili! I never really make chili because it's chilis + meat. I don't eat meat. So it's kind of pointless. But I can't let an ICSA pass by! So, here's a chili.

Step one was to make vegetable stock. Celery, carrot, onion, garlic, parsley, kombu, black pepper, coriander seed, bay leaves, and a couple old mushrooms. This was pressure cooked for about an hour.

Step two was to make cornbread. Can't have chili without cornbread.

Now we come to the chili ingredients. I picked up some TVP (textured vegetable protein) to see what it was like as a meat substitute, because I've never really bothered with it. Aside from that I've got a couple kinds of dried chilies (chilis? how do you spell the plural of 'chili'??), some tomato paste, some Mexican oregano, some cumin, some Vegemite, some coffee, some olive oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms, a habanero, and masa harina.

First step was toasting up the chiliieiesseies. Notice there are three varieties here. I added some small hot red dried chiliseses because I wanted to make sure the end result was spicy enough.

Then the toasted chilies simmered in some stock for a while.

I started blending them in the pot but it was going everywhere, as you can see.

I moved the mixture to my empty pressure cooker and blended the rest here. Chili paste complete!

Cooking the aromatics - onion, garlic, and habanero - in my dutch oven with some olive oil.

Once they are softened, I add the Mexican oregano, the cumin (freshly ground), tomato paste, and Vegemite.

Then I added the mushrooms and cooked a while. I cut the mushrooms mostly into small bits but a few into larger chunks, so I'd have a variety of textures.

Now I add the chili paste, some stock, the coffee, and the TVP. The TVP cooks very quickly - you basically just have to hydrate it.

Did I mention that last night I soaked some black beans and pinto beans then this morning before making the stock I cooked them in the pressure cooker (which takes about 5 minutes)? No, I didn't. But I did that, so now I've added the beans.

Now I've added masa harina, although you can't tell. I've also added a fuckton of salt. This definitely ate up the salt. It seemed like I could never add enough.

Done! Let's be honest - a vegan is not going to win the chili contest, so it doesn't matter how it tastes. In any case, it tastes really good! I'm honestly not the world's biggest fan of TVP's texture, because it turns out it emulates ground beef very well and I don't like the texture of ground beef in chili. I do like it in sloppy joes, though, so next time I make those, TVP is for sure going in. Anyways the TVP tastes just fine, since it tastes like everything around it. As for the "everything around it," it's pretty good! Not spicy enough - one habanero was really lowballing it, even with those dried red chilies I added for heat. No matter - still tasty. Extremely filling too.

Anyways this was fun. I will finish by saying anyone who adds actual tomatoes to their chili is a heathen and is terrible. A chili is a chili if it has chilies, and mine has chilis, so mine's a chili, and yours is too, even if it has tomatoes. But it is also a travesty. Ditto if you put corn in there. Thank you and goodnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Quite unorthodox, but I imagine you had a pungent kitchen that night from the seasoning you are using. End product looks very good. I would imagine the TVP just tastes like ground beef, like you said it takes on whatever it's cooked in. Nice job!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I would eat that chili.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I would eat that chili.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
nice 1, glad it was a juke

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I am constitutionally against TVP, and I would still eat that chili, it looks tasty!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Your chili looks awesome! Great work, TC.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
That looks and sounds fantastic - great job!

It has given me a dilemma though. I really want to make it for a vegan friend (and me!). I would love you forever if you could throw up a rough amounts/times recipe. I fully understand if that's a pain in the arse though and will have to use my (not great) eye-balling skills instead. Definitely a couple of ingredients that will be tricky to find in the UK so time to fire up the old Amazon etc. I suppose. And I also don't have a pressure cooker but am sure I can adjust.

Although I haven't had it in years, I used to like TVP, but my mind immediately went to Quorn Mince as that's never let me down for vegetarian stuff and works the same way as a flavour-taker. They have been doing a lot of their range as vegan recently but it turns out the mince is one of the things that still has egg - boo! :(

Question: I love chili and I love coffee but have never used the latter in the former (or the former in the latter!). I presume it adds some kind of undertone that you'd only notice by its absence rather than make your chili taste of coffee. Is that right?

Anyway, I'm waffling. Cool entry and you should crosspost to the (your) vegan thread :chef:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

franco posted:

It has given me a dilemma though. I really want to make it for a vegan friend (and me!). I would love you forever if you could throw up a rough amounts/times recipe. I fully understand if that's a pain in the arse though and will have to use my (not great) eye-balling skills instead. Definitely a couple of ingredients that will be tricky to find in the UK so time to fire up the old Amazon etc. I suppose. And I also don't have a pressure cooker but am sure I can adjust.
Hmm. I think stock was three carrots, three talks of celery, three bay leaves, one onion, a piece of kombu as large as the kombu in the picture there, half a teaspoon of fennel, coriander, and black peppercorns, three old mushrooms, and about a quarter cup parsley (stems mostly). You can see all the chilieees I used in the toasting picture. I toasted them until the small red ones were browned. They probably simmered for 10-15 minutes? Until very soft.

I honestly have no idea how long I cooked the aromatics - 5 to 10 minutes? I'm sure someone here knows how long it takes for an onion to soften. I used a large clove of garlic, about one and a half onions, and one habanero. I probably used about 1 to 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano and ground cumin, about 2 tablespoons tomato paste, and about one teaspoon vegemite. I used 8 ounces of mushrooms. No idea how long that all cooked. Probably 10 minutes. The TVP cooked basically immediately, although I probably cooked it for a few minutes before adding the beans. I added about 2 tablespoons of masa harina. Tooooons of salt. I probably added about one tablespoon of coffee.

If I were making it again, I would make it hotter and sweeter, which would mean another habanero and some jalapenos. There are other things you could do to make it sweeter too, especially if you don't want more heat.

franco posted:

Question: I love chili and I love coffee but have never used the latter in the former (or the former in the latter!). I presume it adds some kind of undertone that you'd only notice by its absence rather than make your chili taste of coffee. Is that right?
Depends how much you add, but yes the goal is just to add a little for some taste, not to make coffee chili. Other common additions similar to coffee are chocolate and beer, both of which I forgot to buy, and anyways I had some leftover coffee so I would've used that anyways.

franco posted:

Anyway, I'm waffling. Cool entry and you should crosspost to the (your) vegan thread :chef:
I kind of like to keep fake meat poo poo out of that thread.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Cheers for that - that helps a lot! :)

And fair enough on keeping that thread fake-meat free-ish.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chili lookin' good buddy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, I'd eat that too. And I've both made and eaten a lot of vegan chili!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I've also added a fuckton of salt. This definitely ate up the salt. It seemed like I could never add enough.

Blame the TVP, it typically requires a lot of salt.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

In my vegetarian days I used pressed tofu or seitan for the "meat" in chili. It turned out really good. TVP I could never bring myself to like no matter how it was prepared. I would eat this chili.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
Honestly I think it looks great, given the opportunity I’d try it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I actually prefer to skip the meat substitute altogether in my vegan chili and just bulk it up with beans/lentils, walnuts and bulgur wheat. ATK's version does this and it's probably the best I've made.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

emotive posted:

I actually prefer to skip the meat substitute altogether in my vegan chili and just bulk it up with beans/lentils, walnuts and bulgur wheat. ATK's version does this and it's probably the best I've made.

What's the ATK chili

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

von Braun posted:

What's the ATK chili

I think it's this.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't truck with chilies that have 28oz cans of tomatoes. The only tomato I want in my chili is a bit of tomato paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Looks great. You had the dried chilis, which to me is really the most important part of a chili. The meat can be good, but come on, chili is the name of the dish! I've also seen chickpeas pulsed a bit in a food processor as a good replacement for the texture of ground beef.

• Locked thread