Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
1/4 million miles on the Toyota Echo I bought new in 2000

Original Clutch, although I did have to repair the rubber on the pedal a few years ago.

Biggest repair was a new AC compressor. Engine consumes a quart of oil every 5000 miles. Which it has since 100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

neat

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's almost like my Mazda Miata transmission longevity "test". There's a crack in the case so it can't hold oil so I figured I'd maybe be able to get another 1000 miles or so so bought a replacement but figured I need to let the old one die because there's no used market for a cracked transmission whatsoever so I might as well get the last of its life out of it. 15,000 miles later it still hasn't failed and isn't making any strange noises and I've confirmed a couple times it's actually leaking to empty by sticking a tube down the fill hole and seeing if I can pump any oil out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Toyota did an incredible job building little anvils with the Yaris/Echo.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Toyota really went nuts with their quality control in the early to mid 2000's- my 2005 landcruisers got 322,000kms (201,000 miles) on the factory clutch and its still going fine, and thats on a 3 tonne vehicle with a turbo diesel that spent half its life towing several tonnes around the place!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm on the original clutch on a GM, of all things, with 185k (Saturd Ion).

The clutch has now outlasted the actual clutch pedal. GM made it out of plastic, with a steel push rod going into the master cylinder. Rod poked his head out to say hello. :argh: It's also burning about a quart every 5k... which is pretty drat good for a Saturn.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

craig588 posted:

That's almost like my Mazda Miata transmission longevity "test". There's a crack in the case so it can't hold oil so I figured I'd maybe be able to get another 1000 miles or so so bought a replacement but figured I need to let the old one die because there's no used market for a cracked transmission whatsoever so I might as well get the last of its life out of it. 15,000 miles later it still hasn't failed and isn't making any strange noises and I've confirmed a couple times it's actually leaking to empty by sticking a tube down the fill hole and seeing if I can pump any oil out.

You're going to end up stranded probably on a bridge or in a tunnel blocking a bunch of people, change your transmission man.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

craig588 posted:

Sounds pretty silly considering how easy it is to change one of those and you have the parts on hand.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

craig588 posted:

How bad is the crack? Maybe you can fix it with a modified version of this trick: https://jalopnik.com/5935258/the-super-hacky-oil-pan-emergency-repair-fix

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've got 167k on the original clutch in my S2000. The first owner was a nationals level STR autocross guy... I am the second and track it regularly.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How bad is the crack? Maybe you can fix it with a modified version of this trick: https://jalopnik.com/5935258/the-super-hacky-oil-pan-emergency-repair-fix

It's about the length of my thumb and appears hairline thin while on a lift, I assume it gets wider or worse in some way while driving. You're right that I probably could patch it up like that, even if I did something dumb like make a patch out of an aluminum can and JB Weld that around the perimeter of the crack. I think I'll look into messing with that next weekend.

It's not my only car, I'm not worried about it getting stranded, I never take this one more than 50 miles from my house. If I was going to use this one for long term driving I'd be more concerned about fixing it, but it's about the idea of keeping broken stuff running as long as possible not jumping in and going cross country. I like the idea of hacking a repair together because it keeps the old junk transmission going, anyone can Ship of Theseus a car together, but there's no excitement in that. I'm just responsible enough to know I need to have parts ready for if it breaks completely so I don't have a junk car sitting around.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

craig588 posted:

I like the idea of hacking a repair together because it keeps the old junk transmission going, anyone can Ship of Theseus a car together, but there's no excitement in that.

No, I get it. Why throw out an entire transmission because it had a little booboo?

That's not what our ancestors would have done (died of preventable illnesses).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The car in question. Dad's business was parking garages. I did this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
what the gently caress

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Versa's clutch is 138000km old as far as I know.

Pickup (Hilux) has it's 3rd (that I know of) clutch waiting to go on when I finally get back to working on it. The one it has was fine the last time it was able to move 8 years ago. Last owner said he replaced the clutch and I doubt anyone did it before him given the mileage.

FJ45's clutch can't be original, as the entire driveline isn't, and the driveline came out of a 30yo vehicle that was above 100,000km so I imagine the clutch has been replaced at least once.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

TheFonz posted:

what the gently caress

My dad ran a parking garage in midtown Manhattan. I was the only son who could park well enough to work there. We'd park cars by reversing them and placing them less than an inch from other cars, climb out of windows to get out.

So I can do stunts like that rather easy.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Versa's clutch is 138000km old as far as I know.

Good thing you have the manual Versa. Their CVT's apparently are failing on a regular basis under 100k miles.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's the shortest anyone has had a clutch on a non performance car last?

My partners Mazda 3 has an awful shudder and it's only at 117,000kms but given how she drives the poor thing it isn't exactly a huge surprise.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dissss posted:

My partners Mazda 3 has an awful shudder and it's only at 117,000kms but given how she drives the poor thing it isn't exactly a huge surprise.

I've heard stories of people destroying a new clutch in weeks.

I bought the original Honda CRX when it came out in 1984 (the 1500lbs 1200cc 49 state economy model).

It had the lightest clutch I have ever driven. It's been a while, but I believe I had to have a clutch adjustment (not replace) at 70k miles. Kept that car until 1995, when I traded it for a new Nissan 240SX.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 3, 2017

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Ferremit posted:

Toyota really went nuts with their quality control in the early to mid 2000's- my 2005 landcruisers got 322,000kms (201,000 miles) on the factory clutch and its still going fine, and thats on a 3 tonne vehicle with a turbo diesel that spent half its life towing several tonnes around the place!

They clearly didn't use the same quality control on the aygo. Known for needing a clutch at at 60-100k miles
Mine had a clutch at around 50k then needed an entire gearbox at 105k miles

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Aygo had French involvement so something had to give.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

dissss posted:

I have no problems with a 2002 cooper s manual, my wife's grandma killed it in less than 400 miles. Turns out, it's a great transmission if you don't ride the clutch, who knew?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

I've got 167k on the original clutch in my S2000. The first owner was a nationals level STR autocross guy... I am the second and track it regularly.

That's impressive. The clutch on my 2006 S2k had 29k miles when it started slipping in 2008. I bought it at 23k miles and noticed a tiny little pencil eraser sized hole under the gas pedal that went through the floor mat, carpet, and insulation - all the way down to the metal. That mixed with other evidence around the car led me to believe an overweight woman who regularly wore heels was the original owner. I can't imagine using a clutch pedal in stilettos would make for a good time.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

About a thousand miles on a bp swapped festiva with stock b3 clutch/trans.

Swapped it and a few weeks later shattered the trans case.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

VideoGameVet posted:

The car in question. Dad's business was parking garages. I did this.

Are you some sort of parking God?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Depends on whether any touching was involved. People park like that all the time in my street but they also bend the poo poo out of their/my bumpers to do so.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

dissss posted:

The girls at work got handed a brand new turbo diesel hilux to go cut gum branches for the pet koalas to eat. First proper service was 10,000kms and at 7890kms it got trucked on a flat bed to the dealership for a new clutch... so bad it couldn't drive onto a tilt tray in low range.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My miata had a typical clutch shudder issue that I discovered soon after buying it. Years and 50k km everything still works exactly like it did so I haven't bothered replacing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are you some sort of parking God?

Yes, I am. (On this one a crowd of on-lookers and no touching, on the prior one ... very light touches ... no marks or damage ... bad circumstances drove that insanity)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 3, 2017

• Locked thread