Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rip :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
AIM is still widely used by people on Wall Street, because you can get it running on anything easily, there's no weird federation you have to configure in order to talk to someone at a different company, and most critically it's unencrypted, so auditing/compliance is trivial. Same goes for Yahoo! Messenger.
The smart companies saw the writing on the wall about 2 or 3 years ago and started forcing traders over to Bloomberg Messenger but a lot of small shops stayed put.

I had a commodities guy ask me last week how to get it running on his iPhone.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
That sounds a lot like those oil traders who used yahoo messenger and panicked when that got canceled (well, replaced with a smartphone-only thing).

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

AIM is still widely used by people on Wall Street, because you can get it running on anything easily, there's no weird federation you have to configure in order to talk to someone at a different company, and most critically it's unencrypted, so auditing/compliance is trivial. Same goes for Yahoo! Messenger.
The smart companies saw the writing on the wall about 2 or 3 years ago and started forcing traders over to Bloomberg Messenger but a lot of small shops stayed put.

this might be the first time that i've heard the lack of encryption being touted as a feature

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The_Franz posted:

this might be the first time that i've heard the lack of encryption being touted as a feature

yeah I was going to say. is unencrypted comm really a big deal? seems like you'd want to have employees to use like telegram or something so if something goes to court you just throw you hands in the air going "well we can't! it's just how the program is there isn't anything else, it's outta our hands :shrug:"

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
rip

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jimmy Carter posted:

lol is bloomberg messenger a real thing

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Jimmy Carter posted:

I was pretty surprised when I worked at a crazy security-obsessed financial firm where all webmail sites were blocked, any type of Pastebin, etc site was blocked, but the in-house developed messaging tool supported AIM. I used to to get very confused when my friend's responses didn't make any sense but then we discovered sometimes the messages would take up to 5 mintues to be delivered. my theory was that they had some legal person manually reviewing and releasing all the messages lol

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, it's so big that some companies were paying thousands of dollars a month for Bloomberg terminals, just so their people could have access to it.

then the big banks realized that was dumb and tried to pool together to come up with their own alternative so they wouldn't have to spend so much money on Bloomberg

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-finance-chat-platform-that-wants-to-replace-bloomberg-has-attracted-500000-user-requests-2014-10

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Snapchat is valued at $17 billion. WeChat is valued at $83.6 billion. Imagine if AOL hadn't AOL'd the gently caress out of AIM and it had managed to keep up with the times.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

They had mobile apps out years before snapchat. Not sure what they could have done differently.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's $18k a year per seat

I am not kidding

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the best part of that is paying $18k/year for the worst UX in human history.

the second-best part is the classifieds section aka Craigslist for rich dudes where people are selling yachts and stuff.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bloomberg messenger is in fact a real thing and it's a pretty core feature of Bloomberg terminals.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If your only use for Bloomberg is the messenger though then you're wasting your money p.much. 18k per terminal is a lot but you get the whole Bloomberg product with that, and that's why it valuable.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jimmy Carter posted:

the second-best part is the classifieds section aka Craigslist for rich dudes where people are selling yachts and stuff.

Ya lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Xaris posted:

yeah I was going to say. is unencrypted comm really a big deal? seems like you'd want to have employees to use like telegram or something so if something goes to court you just throw you hands in the air going "well we can't! it's just how the program is there isn't anything else, it's outta our hands :shrug:"

the joke here is that telegrams chats are unencrypted by default, probably in a quiet nod to russia's and iran's security services

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

akadajet posted:

idunno i thought telegram was the isis one

It's for Isis and furries so either way watchlist

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if you didn't have the Jack Handy quote script in your profile what were you even doing with your life

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

what does your heart tell you

youve prolly never seen a bloomberg terminal either

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jimmy Carter posted:

if you work for an employer greater than 500 people and one of these aint in the cfo office

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

think I'm gonna try to put together a :rip: aim party. we all get together and someone logs into aim one last time and we can all talk about our best memories & away messages as we wait for the friends list to go grey. hear that door closing one last time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Rex-Goliath posted:

think I'm gonna try to put together a :rip: aim party. we all get together and someone logs into aim one last time and we can all talk about our best memories & away messages as we wait for the friends list to go grey. hear that door closing one last time

thinking about it like this legit makes me sad

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I've been thinking about AIM every time I hear the door closing noises in PUBG

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Bloomberg messenger makes a load of sense for its highly specific target market

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

indigi posted: