Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hi all. I made chili for the ICSA. I like to give people poo poo about chili ingredients but honestly most variations are good. Having spend a large part of my young adult life in Texas though I prefer the fairly strict interpretation of chili and made one along those lines. So, this should be classified as 'chili' because it has the bare minimum ingredients of meat and chilis, and little else.

1st the ingredients. I deviated just a bit from what would be a classic original list. Not pictured is the oregano, fish sauce, cider vinegar and a cup of black coffee.

4 onions, ~5lb of top round, garlic, dried chilis, thyme, bay, cumin seed, paprika, can of chipotle chilis, etc.

Slicing the beef into about 1.5" thick steaks, I started with the fattier cuts, pat dry, added salt and put into an enamel dutch oven on med-high heat with a light covering of sunflower oil.

These were browned and turned, repeat for the entire amount of beef.

At the end of that will be a very thick layer of fond, to which the onions were immediately added and let carmelize / wilt briefly. I added in a splash or two (~2 tbls) of fish sauce and stirred until the fond was deglazed and let the onions continue to soften.

Not pictured here was a step where I removed the seeds from the dried chilis and lightly toasted them in a large skillet with some beef fat I had reserved from another cooking adventure.

Chilis were then added to the blender along with 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and 1 cup of hot black coffee and the can of chipotles and then pureed.

This was then combined with the onions and the heat was turned down to low.

The reserved browned beef from earlier was cut into ~1" cubes while the vegetable mix simmered.

Then I combined the beef and veggies, adding in a bay leaf and 1 tbls of cumin seeds. Normally I add cumin to hot oil to let it bloom, but I prefer the milder, nuttier cumin flavor that comes out in a low and slow approach. Not pictured, adding in oregano, black pepper and garlic then stirring all to combine.

The oven had been pre-heated to 180F and this was brought up on the stove top just until everything started to bubble, then covered and transferred to the oven. I took it out about once an hour and stirred briefly, letting it sit in the oven for ~4h.

From there I tasted a bit and salted, and added in about 2 tbls of honey to offset the vinegar and spice slightly.

This was served with some sliced cheddar and cilantro.

All in all it came out really nice and I was happy with it. Glad for an excuse to make another pot of chili! It had been too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

Hi all. I made chili for the ICSA. I like to give people poo poo about chili ingredients but honestly most variations are good. Having spend a large part of my young adult life in Texas though I prefer the fairly strict interpretation of chili and made one along those lines. So, this should be classified as 'chili' because it has the bare minimum ingredients of meat and chilis, and little else.

All in all it came out really nice and I was happy with it. Glad for an excuse to make another pot of chili! It had been too long.

That is in fact recognizable as chilli! Excellent job.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Suspect Bucket posted:

That is in fact recognizable as chilli! Excellent job.

You got one too many L's in your Chili, friend.

:cheeky:

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I love how red your chili looks. Very traditional and looks delicious.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fr0id posted:

I love how red your chili looks. Very traditional and looks delicious.

Thanks! Not even trying to go for a win here vs some excellent submissions but any excuse to make chili is a good one and wanted to document a pretty traditional recipe on it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

McStephenson posted:

You got one too many L's in your Chili, friend.

:cheeky:

Chillllliilllliiillliiiiillliiiiii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Suspect Bucket posted:

Chillllliilllliiillliiiiillliiiiii

Chillillillia

• Locked thread