Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

good luck shoegaze. post while you learn, that sounds interesting as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
thanks ya'll. i definitely will keep you updated.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

also i don’t know if you’re looking for recs but c++ primer (not c++ primer plus) is good. it’ll definitely put the fear of god into you though. i learned so much about constructors.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MononcQc posted:

Stripe uses MongoDB in prod. Mongo can be configured with different storage engines, and while I wouldn't use it anyway, they have made improvements since the first version that used MMAPed files for storage (which is now deprecated) and have moved to an MVCC journaled (checkpointed) storage that can support at-rest encryption and compression. It's still not the safest thing for data integrity, but given enough years, their tech is slowly narrowing the gap with their marketing material. Like it's not great, but it's not as stunningly bad as it used to be.

Data integrity seems like it would be a mission critical feature for payment processing. How is using mongo not ridiculously negligent on the part of Stripe?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my first job out of college was writing C and it owned.

hard part about c++ is you'll learn how to do things right and then come into a real project and it will have such a large framework written underneath it that it won't even resemble c++ at all.

but good for you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

unrelated, but amazon prime day opening moments had such a traffic flow it took down amazon, and, by proxy impact propagating through aws, discord (and probably a host of other stuff)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

Uber made a definite choice to switch from Postgres to MySQL because the k/v pattern they had with it is better served by the MyISAM storage of MySQL than Postgres' MVCC for what they do with it.

if myisam proves itself real-world better than postgres hstore for your application, maybe you don't actually need/want an sql database ?

at that point surely direct access to an isam storage engine is a winner

leveldb or something idk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if mysql is the right answer, can we ever be sure we asked the right question?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

jony neuemonic posted:

also i don’t know if you’re looking for recs but c++ primer (not c++ primer plus) is good. it’ll definitely put the fear of god into you though. i learned so much about constructors.

yeah totally into any advice people have! i'll look into that.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if mysql is the right answer, can we ever be sure we asked the right question?

"what's an inexplicably popular relational database that sucks?"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Data integrity seems like it would be a mission critical feature for payment processing. How is using mongo not ridiculously negligent on the part of Stripe?

They seem to use it as a hub for event-processing (see Monster). They've got some open source driver that tails oplogs in Mongo to replicate all operations everywhere they want, and so by using various mongo ops, get to replicate all operations to any subscriber they want.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ctps: had a breakdown and quit my job because I can't face writing another CRUD api (it's still boring no matter how many monads you unnecessarily involve). I've become very interested in doing systems programming (thanks to rust) and I have enough funds to spend ~ 1 year focusing on reorienting my career.

I have no illusions that I'll be able to find a non-dubious rust job, so I'm going to be starting on C++ for the first time -- which I'm pretty excited about. I'm also going to be working through "The Linux Programming Interface" which I own but haven't spent a significant amount of time on. I'm also going to be rigorously studying my algorithms and stuff. Plus working on other goals that I haven't really nailed down yet (part of my motivation for this post).

I also really need to work on nailing down exactly what doing "systems programming" means to me. I don't necessarily mean I want to do work on the linux kernel or embedded. I may be happier working on anything that's slightly "closer to the metal," even if I'm still mostly in the web domain. So yeah, need to nail this down.

Grats on following the first part of the traditional deviant journey

Also I don't know what you mean about the rust jobs I've seen loads of blockchain startups hiring!! (paid in stock options only)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

Grats on following the first part of the traditional deviant journey

Also I don't know what you mean about the rust jobs I've seen loads of blockchain startups hiring!! (paid in stock options only)

yeah, i really hope rust doesn't become too strongly associated with blockchain. rust is already dangerously overhyped and becoming the official language of blockchain wont do it any favors.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, i really hope rust doesn't become too strongly associated with blockchain. rust is already dangerously overhyped and becoming the official language of blockchain wont do it any favors.

javascript is well established as the official blockchain language, i think rust is just the second generation ideas guys who heard that javascript is bad but without any real understanding why, as if rust will solve all the previous problems

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im borrowing a reference to your money but the smart contracts were implemented wrong

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ctps: had a breakdown and quit my job because I can't face writing another CRUD api (it's still boring no matter how many monads you unnecessarily involve). I've become very interested in doing systems programming (thanks to rust) and I have enough funds to spend ~ 1 year focusing on reorienting my career.

I have no illusions that I'll be able to find a non-dubious rust job, so I'm going to be starting on C++ for the first time -- which I'm pretty excited about. I'm also going to be working through "The Linux Programming Interface" which I own but haven't spent a significant amount of time on. I'm also going to be rigorously studying my algorithms and stuff. Plus working on other goals that I haven't really nailed down yet (part of my motivation for this post).

I also really need to work on nailing down exactly what doing "systems programming" means to me. I don't necessarily mean I want to do work on the linux kernel or embedded. I may be happier working on anything that's slightly "closer to the metal," even if I'm still mostly in the web domain. So yeah, need to nail this down.

this was exactly me a couple of months ago. quit my job in march, debated whether i'd be happier working on operating systems, databases, or infosec. embedded seemed interesting but the vibe i got was the code was just as bad to work on as a typical web app. anyway i still have no idea so if you figure anything out uhh let me know

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

fwiw im a "systems" programmer

obv more into embedded but i did interview at Fastly, they were writing bare-metal ISR's in C. again more on the embedded side, but gray forums poster 'csammis' made the hop from HLL's down to my world, you might want to check out their posts in the newbie/oldbie/jobseeker threads as well. he did a lot of GH-as-CV stuff to make the hop

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if myisam proves itself real-world better than postgres hstore for your application, maybe you don't actually need/want an sql database ?

at that point surely direct access to an isam storage engine is a winner

leveldb or something idk

save me from log structured merge trees

if you're at this point you're already partitioning your dataset, so just partition it more

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
thing is, even as an object store, you do get more with postgres, like transactions, secondary indexes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pie Colony posted:

this was exactly me a couple of months ago. quit my job in march, debated whether i'd be happier working on operating systems, databases, or infosec. embedded seemed interesting but the vibe i got was the code was just as bad to work on as a typical web app. anyway i still have no idea so if you figure anything out uhh let me know

i'll definitely be keeping this thread updated! i'm not really hoping for "better code" just "bad code that i'm more interested in."

JawnV6 posted:

fwiw im a "systems" programmer

obv more into embedded but i did interview at Fastly, they were writing bare-metal ISR's in C. again more on the embedded side, but gray forums poster 'csammis' made the hop from HLL's down to my world, you might want to check out their posts in the newbie/oldbie/jobseeker threads as well. he did a lot of GH-as-CV stuff to make the hop

thanks! i've been reading through the oldie programming thread. i'm going to post in there soon. i'm still at oldjob and real progress is on hold until i get out (2 more weeks).

you're an EE, right? one concern i have is that my lack of degree will hold me back more than it has in my current occupation. i think it's probably true that degree matters more in the lower level world, but i also imagine it's still pretty unimportant.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

production database got deleted today in an alleged accident by a team lead :bisonyes:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you're an EE, right? one concern i have is that my lack of degree will hold me back more than it has in my current occupation. i think it's probably true that degree matters more in the lower level world, but i also imagine it's still pretty unimportant.

not in my experience. lack of
familiarity
with basic electrical concepts will hold you back from certain embedded jobs but not really systems, and even certain other embedded jobs.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

production database got deleted today in an alleged accident by a team lead :bisonyes:

:trumppop:

I have a terrible kubernetes admin question, as I think there were some k8s bittervets in here... Is it at ALL advisable to encrypt my layer 7 traffic between nodes in the cluster? i.e. between my .net core services that are (right now) set up to communicate via http. We have everything else super locked down via locking down the k8s API and restrictive network policy that only allows communication between nodes if they are specifically whitelisted etc. etc. I'm used to working on public safety stuff that REQUIRES encryption across ALL boundaries no matter what, so my kneejerk reaction is to freak out that my nodes aren't talking over https.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
somebody make a new thread with a better title pls

• Locked thread