Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

a neat cape posted:

Solution is to do what SDSU did. Hire an old coach who had scandal in his past (Steve Fisher) or a coach so old he's not gonna leave (Rocky Long)

They did both with George O’Leary and he retired after like 3 games into the 0-12 year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I can see why they're happy for him, it's still weird though. I dunno.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pakled posted:

At this point I think G5 fans have resigned themselves to good coaches leaving after two years.
There are Houston fans still angry about Sumlin. They're also mad about Herman.

Because they imagine Sumlin's loss in the C-USA championship game was because he had all but checked out, and all of Herman's losses in year two were because he was too busy interviewing elsewhere. Not because, you know, football.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nystral posted:

They did both with George O’Leary and he retired after like 3 games into the 0-12 year.

He was good there for quite awhile. And they were 0-11 his first year so you can’t say he left them any worse than he found them!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

MourningView posted:

He was good there for quite awhile. And they were 0-11 his first year so you can’t say he left them any worse than he found them!

The man was handed a mess of a team and definitely was an excellent hire by the school. Trying to be AD and HC and dealing with the fallout of a wrongful death suit, NCAA investigations into CBK and CFB teams yeah... I get why he threw in the towel when he did. IMO UCF would be ok being this decades’s Houston with a string of coaches, and hopefully the next Conference Armageddon has them in a top tier conference, even better if USF is left out in the cold WHERE THEY BELONG.

TheRico
Mar 1, 2007

Nystral posted:

even better if USF is left out in the cold WHERE THEY BELONG.

drat straight.

I think it's really unfortunate that Frost is leaving but the fanbase as a whole gets it. There would be a lot of animosity if he ended up going to Florida but he's going back home where he also has a chance of winning a national title instead of being screwed over constantly by the committee.

This brings an interesting question which, while a HUGE long shot is interesting nonetheless:

UCF beats Auburn and runs the table again next season. Is that enough to give them a spot in the playoff? Granted, a lot of shoes to drop to make it happen but I'm just curious what it will take for a G5 school to make it in the current 4-team format since I don't believe Houston would have been in if they ran the table that one season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

TheRico posted:

drat straight.

I think it's really unfortunate that Frost is leaving but the fanbase as a whole gets it. There would be a lot of animosity if he ended up going to Florida but he's going back home where he also has a chance of winning a national title instead of being screwed over constantly by the committee.

This brings an interesting question which, while a HUGE long shot is interesting nonetheless:

UCF beats Auburn and runs the table again next season. Is that enough to give them a spot in the playoff? Granted, a lot of shoes to drop to make it happen but I'm just curious what it will take for a G5 school to make it in the current 4-team format since I don't believe Houston would have been in if they ran the table that one season.

Houston had a shot due to starting at 15 and beating #3 Oklahoma in week one. Had they ran the table (and beat a highly ranked Louisville team in the process), they have an argument.

For reference, the year TCU got to #3 and won the Rose Bowl, they started at like #6 and never dropped out of the top 5, crushing everyone and beating a highly ranked/maybe top 10 Utah team in the process. Had Auburn/Oregon not both ran the table they might have played for the title. So it'll take a G5 team starting highly ranked and staying highly ranked to be considered, you just don't have the schedule to start unranked and work your way up.

• Locked thread