Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So what happens if you manually delete character files other than Monika's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Is there no alternative to Act 2's Weekend With Yuri scene? I remember people even tried voting for Natsuki the second time round and the game decided otherwise, I figured that was just because the thread was deadset on Yuri from the outset.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

TheDarkFlame posted:

Is there no alternative to Act 2's Weekend With Yuri scene? I remember people even tried voting for Natsuki the second time round and the game decided otherwise, I figured that was just because the thread was deadset on Yuri from the outset.

No, in the second playthrough Yuri's too obsessive and forces you into her scenes, including and especially the weekend scene. Your choices in the first run don't have any bearing. That would have been a good twist though and was actually how I thought it worked since I also chose Yuri on my first playthrough- that the character you romanced the first time "remembers" (besides Sayori I guess) and suddenly gets thrust into the "totally in love with you" endgame (which is itself pretty crazy, it's been like less than a week in-game!).

Anyway that said there's some wiggle room- if you write three Yuri poems you'll get a scene we didn't see in the LP (I think a goon said they were going to show it since Roar isn't) and it's a good one. Also depending on how much Natsuki likes your poems she might not show you the "Yuri's going crazy and I'm scared" poem.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 4, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

So what happens if you manually delete character files other than Monika's?

Deleting Sayori's early just immediately cuts the hanging scene. Nothing happens if you delete Yuri or Natsuki's at any point.

TheDarkFlame posted:

If you go for Natsuki first she gets a lot more angry when she argues with Yuri (I thought the "don't cut yourself on that edge OH WAIT" thing was only from that, but I guess not), but Yuri kicks Monika out and she basically drags Natsuki with her no matter what.

I just want to say your avatar and title are great. :allears:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, I caught up. That was certainly a ride.

Skimming the various replies etc, I found Monika's description of being 'in hell' interesting. The random flashes and noise slowly starting to consume her until they're everything, but she's still somehow aware...

As others have pointed out, when you delete a file, it's not actually gone, just flagged to be overwritten when something needs the space. A program that's running will create a bunch of temporary files for the bits that don't fit in the RAM, and then 'delete' them after.

When Monika isn't running, she's slowly being overwritten by everything else you use your computer for.

And presumably, she survives deletion by having enough of herself not-yet-overwritten that she's mostly still there.

As for the file-editing shenanigans, I'm wondering what happens if you manually restore the other girls during 'Just Monika' instead of deleting her.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Don't know if this game was advertisement for his skills or if he wanted to test the waters for his writing but either way, Salvato has my attention. Looking forward to whatever :stare: inducing title he's working on. If the hidden texts are an indication, it is not going to be a happy walk through the park. What are the odds it will literally be called Portrait of Markov? :v:

Good lp, Roar!

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Doesn't Sayori get a different final poem if you tell her you love her? I think you missed that one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think you get "Get out of my head" either way.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Capilarean posted:

Doesn't Sayori get a different final poem if you tell her you love her? I think you missed that one.

Nope! Dear Sunshine, Bottles, and % (get out of my head) are her only poems per the game files. % is unchanged by the MC's decision.

e;fb

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Hmm...

So ultimately, the best way to play the game is to not play it at all.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Really Pants posted:

I think you get "Get out of my head" either way.

You do.

Edit: Wow I am behind on that. But uh more specifically it's still equally bad news once you read about that because you think things are going to be okay if you don't friendzone her but...well...

Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.

Dr. Snark posted:

You do.

Edit: Wow I am behind on that. But uh more specifically it's still equally bad news once you read about that because you think things are going to be okay if you don't friendzone her but...well...

I actually did Sayori's route first, and when the option came up my gut told me not to pick "I love you", because that seemed like a bad idea for her depression. I even had to reload when I ended up picking it anyway because that's how these games go, and felt absolutely horrible when she killed herself.

Why is there no "We're gonna have a platonic sleepover and I'm gonna make you dinner and in the morning I'm gonna call your parents and get you some therapy" option.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dwv2lsYWb8mk

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

I was wondering how someone would make something out of Sayo-nara.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Starship Arcadia posted:

I actually did Sayori's route first, and when the option came up my gut told me not to pick "I love you", because that seemed like a bad idea for her depression. I even had to reload when I ended up picking it anyway because that's how these games go, and felt absolutely horrible when she killed herself.

Why is there no "We're gonna have a platonic sleepover and I'm gonna make you dinner and in the morning I'm gonna call your parents and get you some therapy" option.

Truth be told I'm positive that was a stealth "but thou must" moment. The protagonist would leave her alone in the "normal" game and everything would have been somehow fine despite obvious evidence. But since Monika set SayoriDepression(100), well...

In essence it was the base game script forcing the MC to be an idiot and leave her alone. Normally that would just be bad writing. Here it's actually kind of brilliant in a twisted way.

It's honestly interesting to think about what the "normal" game without this meta-ness would have been like. You get the sense that it was supposed to exist given Monika's dialogue in Act 3 but you never get to see it.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

Truth be told I'm positive that was a stealth "but thou must" moment. The protagonist would leave her alone in the "normal" game and everything would have been somehow fine despite obvious evidence. But since Monika set SayoriDepression(100), well...

In essence it was the base game script forcing the MC to be an idiot and leave her alone. Normally that would just be bad writing. Here it's actually kind of brilliant in a twisted way.

It's honestly interesting to think about what the "normal" game without this meta-ness would have been like. You get the sense that it was supposed to exist given Monika's dialogue in Act 3 but you never get to see it.

Maybe the "normal" game was supposed to be something like Katawa Shoujou.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Roar posted:

From the game files. Spoilered for those who are not up for seeing vomit again.

I wasn't being flip about this either, this sprite does some serious work, it rules. I think DDLC doesn't quite stick the landing but it's a great horror story in it's own right. That sprite is so perfect to me because it's design and style is everything you expect from a visual novel but WHAT it's doing is so jarringly divorced from the whole genre. It's amazing.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

MillennialVulcan posted:

I wasn't being flip about this either, this sprite does some serious work, it rules. I think DDLC doesn't quite stick the landing but it's a great horror story in it's own right. That sprite is so perfect to me because it's design and style is everything you expect from a visual novel but WHAT it's doing is so jarringly divorced from the whole genre. It's amazing.

I think it's wrong to call DDLC a horror story. Horror is the style of one (or two) of its four acts, but as a whole DDLC is a tragedy and in that regard it performs excellently. Rather than just having a tragic ending, it convinces the player that the tragedy is unavoidable because it's a fundamental consequence of the way the 'world' of DDLC works.

There are no happy endings in the literature club.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So I'm going through the game to get that scene I promised and Jesus Christ is Sayori's act one scene much, much worse if you go full Sayori.

Hopefully that will be up soon.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AfroSquirrel posted:

I think it's wrong to call DDLC a horror story. Horror is the style of one (or two) of its four acts, but as a whole DDLC is a tragedy and in that regard it performs excellently. Rather than just having a tragic ending, it convinces the player that the tragedy is unavoidable because it's a fundamental consequence of the way the 'world' of DDLC works.

There are no happy endings in the literature club.

Most horror is based on a tragedy which creates the spirit as a malicious entity, here it's the spirit's very existence which sparks the tragedy.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
As long as this is bumped, one thing I literally completely forgot about until just now:

If you find out where the game actually saves files (somewhere in appdata I think) and try to copy/restore the saves after Monika deletes them, she actually calls you out on it and asks if you’re trying to cheat. Not at my computer right now and not really worth the time required to get a a screenshot but thought it would be worth mentioning. Maybe that new vlp will show it off. :v:

Will probably do an archival request within the next few days.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Bonus Update: Randolph Carter visits the Literature Club

What I tell you is true, gentlemen - question me all you want, but your inquisition is fruitless. The events at the Literature Club transpired exactly as I saw them, and any dishonesty on my part is but a reflection of the horrors I saw that cast a dark pall over my mind.

I had recently moved into town and had decided to participate in a local literature club down at the schoolhouse. As an author myself,
my attention was piqued by local ladies discussing literature, and I needed something to distract me from my nightmares.

They asked for poetry, and I obliged, writing what I knew of the forbidden Necronomicon, the Pknatoic Manuscripts, and other terrible, ancient manuscripts of alien geometries and ancient, hellish gods.

The club members were not always the most appreciative audience.

One in particular, however, seemed drawn to the eldritch and terrible imagery used in my poems. She showed me her volume,Portrait of Markov,which contained terrifying new vistas of reality I had not yet considered. Yuri had nothing but praise for the unknowable horrors that flowed from my pen in inummerable legion.

It was on one fateful, terrible day she decided to make me tea. Had I known then what I know now, I would have departed that cursed classroom and never come back. I wish I could quiet the horrors that still lurk in my brain, or that I had listened to the warning.

Monika, the club president, cornered me as Yuri had stepped out of the classroom. I shall never forget her warning, that Yuri, the girl who thrived so on my tales of Yog-Sothoth, cut herself with a pocket knife. Had I but heeded that warning, I would not have sunk into the deep despair I find myself in now, but alas, the next day I heeded not her warning and paid a terrible price.

That day Yuri decided to make tea again.

I remember her words to this day. "It won't take long," she told me, as she hurried out of the classroom.

"Did Yuri leave you again?" the president asked. I assured her it was not so, that Yuri had only gone to make tea. 10 minutes passed, 10 long minutes that felt like aeons. At last, I made the fateful decision to seek her out, and thus I proceeded to the water fountain.

I heard the awful truth before I saw it.

"...haah...haah..."

The dread litany echoed down the corridors of the schoolhouse as I cautiously advanced down the corridor. Perhaps it was someone breathing, I told myself.

The sound grew sharper, as though someone were sucking in breath through their teeth. Was someone in pain?

it was Yuri, and she had cut open her own flesh! I felt myself grow weak, and then I felt the most curious sensation - it was as though some dark and fearsome agency had TURNED BACK TIME! I could remember, and yet I could not, the series of events that had led me down this cyclopean corridor as the horror unfolded - or rather, would unfold - before my disbelieving eyes. What power could wreck such a terrible effect, I shudder to contemplate.

Yes, all the events from when Randolph left the classroom just get rewound like a VHS with a corresponding sound effect. It's hilarious.

Then, to compound my madness, Yuri stood before me as though nothing had happened - as though time itself had not bent to the whim of some terror!

Calmly, she made her pot of oolong tea as I struggled to control my mounting terror, and then we sat on the floor and continued to read

I cannot say why I returned to that abominable classroom the next day. Perhaps after the incident, my will was not truly my own. Perhaps I felt a compulsion to protect poor Yuri. Nonetheless, I walked into the classroom - and EVENTS PROCEEDED EXACTLY AS THEY HAD BEFORE! The foul litany in the hallway, the merciless gleam of steel, the crimson cuts on her flesh - and then a change.

I lack the words to describe the terror that unfolded. How can I describe such an unraveling of the laws of nature, a primal defilement of the cosmic order? What mere words can convey the unspeakable terror such a revelation brings? What vile spasms of a diseased mind could picture such a thing?

Yuri, mercifully, had no memory of how she had arrived there. I suppose that is some scant respite to be found from the eldritch Things of this world.

But what I truly fail to comprehend is, why after all this, she started pouring her heart out.

But as she continued, the very air itself seemed to darken with her words.

She couldn't control it. Everyone has a few unusual things about them, she said. Expressing such things so soon after meeting someone is seen as inappropriate..or unlikable. When she was younger, she kept repelling her friends by coming on too strongly, and so she began to hate herself, and close herself off. But recently, something had been wrong. Every time she came to the club, her heart started to go crazy. Like it was going to rip out of her chest. It overwhelmed her with energy and emotions that she couldn't let out. Made her do weird things.

At the last, she spoke my name in horrified resignation. Yet I was unprepared for the dread revelations that came next. I wish to this day I had never heard what names she spoke, nor what terrible understanding she imparted to me. Every night I revisit this fateful exchange, and every waking moment I wish I had never seen what I am about to describe.

At first I knew no fear. Monika? The kind-hearted president of the literature club? But Yuri continued.

Monika had always been a sweetheart ever since Yuri had joined the club, but recently Yuri had been feeling something sharp whenever she was around.

She begged me to tell her she wasn't crazed. She couldn't say anything before, because Monika was always listening.

We could just stay like this for a while. Yeah. Stay here. Just the two of us. Until the club ends. We would have the clubroom all to ourselves. Nobody to interfere with our reading time.

But as she continued, describing her love of knives and their hideous beauty, I noticed a faint apparition forming behind her. A green eye, a white bow...I was certain I had seen this somewhere before, and could only remain transfixed with terror while she proceeded with her mad ramblings.

I saw - I felt - I realized the apparition as Yuri continued her obscene proposal. She would show me her collection, all from various artisans.

The foul proposal lengthened, but I had eyes only for - that long, flowing hair! THAT MERCILESS EMERALD GAZE! All while Yuri spoke on and on about how no one deserved loneliness, nor did I - but now we had each other! Every day! We would quit the literature club, she and I

Walking home together after school - what madness was this? Reading together, eating together?

Yet as she spoke these words to me the apparition grew stronger to the mutterings of fate, until it materialized and even Yuri was struck by gibberish.

With a shriek I left the cyclopean corridors of that eldritch classroom, site of so many unnameable terrors, never to return to face those terrifying creatures. It would have been better had I never heard the name "Monika", or witnessed the horrific folly of the literature club. I have told you gentlemen that, beyond this tale, I know not what happened to Natsuki and Yuri. But I have my suspicions, my fears of the hellish creature that stalks those classrooms.

For I knew - I saw - later to dream - those beguiling emerald eyes - that bow - that slightly, off-pinkish hair - I stared into the GAZE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE LITERATURE CLUB!

Ok, so I apologize if anyone is vehement about me turning this into a DDLC-Lovecraft fanfiction, but I kinda wanted to do something different. Also this is my first time doing anything LP-related except for a few streams, so I apologize for the quality of the images, I'm not very good.

Anyway, as was previously alluded to in the thread, you get these scenes by going full Yuri (get your mind out of the gutter) on the poem sequences. The unhappy Natsuki screenshot is from a scene that happens if you don't include enough Natsuki words in 2 poems in a row - she gets extremely pissed, accuses you of only joining the club to hook up with Yuri, complains that you're excluding her, and refuses to show you her poem.

This is really a mean thing to do to her considering her home situation.

Anyway, this is split up over two days - you get the warning from Monika, you find Yuri cutting herself in the hallway, VHS rewind, next day you see the cutting, the glitching, and then Yuri tries to explain Monika's influence before finally breaking and giving in to her bizarre obsession. As she starts ranting about loneliness, knives, and coming over to her house for...extracurricular activities Monika fades in over her and the text box and you get sent to the next poem day.

This really just confirms earlier what everyone was suspecting - Monika did a number on poor Yuri to turn her from a likable shy bookworm with self-harming tendencies into a crazy knife-happy stabber.

Anyway, there's more to this route but I'm just here to show off these crazy scenes. You want to see the full crazy, the download link is in the OP.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 7, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Haha, I liked the lovecraft take on it. Fitting for... a poetry literature club

There's some more too the scene as well-

when the screen darkens/Yuri starts dissing Mo'/talking crazy, it also has the heart beat effect from the closet staring contest, and Yuri occasionally gets the realistic eyes.

and... there was something else that happened for me, after the second "rewind", before the glitchy effects. First the screen stayed black for several seconds, but with music. Then... this shows up for second.

Also when you show Monika your poem that day all she says is "Don't say I didn't warn you!"

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Good Lord, Yuri, get some Visine or something! D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I’m sure it got covered already, and if so, sorry for the redundancy. The avatar you use for the MC is Takuru Miyashito from Chaos;Child, which is also in the same universe as Steins;Gate.

• Locked thread