Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Welcome to the thread for Fall 2017 anime, Children of the Whales! Created by J.C. Staff, this show was picked up by Netflix so you can't stream it anywhere until 2018. It's being fansubbed by the same group that did The Lord's work on Little Witch Academia. It airs on Sundays.

The Main Cast

The basic premise of the show is that there is a relatively small civilization of people that live on an island on the back of a large thing called a mud whale that moves through an ocean of sand, and it has been isolated for generations. Seemingly everyone on the island has some degree of magic. Occasionally the town will drift near other chunks of land, which they will explore and loot for basic goods. During one of these scouting missions, the protagonist Chakuro discovers a girl that looks a lot like Hastune Miku named Lykos, his first ever contact with an outsider. Village elders believe this could gently caress over what they have going. Also there's a cat thing.

The artwork in this show is quite stunning, particularly the background art (done by Studio Moon Flower). The setting kind of already has shades of Shin Sekai Yori and I'm quite looking forward to the mysteries of the world being revealed.

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCzcjyh3fyU

Please spoiler any discussion of the manga, even if its about a divergence in material already adapted (since such material may be adapted later).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'll probably check this out. The backgrounds look fantastic, but I think the characters clash with them just a little. Still looks great though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The art and setting are neat but I feel like I can predict 90% of the show from the first episode.

But maybe I'm totally wrong.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I like a good mystery adventure in a ruined wasteland; let's see where this one leads.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I always think people are talking about this Doom map set when they talk about this show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_JuQemvaiY

The guy with the tats and long hair is good lookin' and I want the pink hair person's hair, might have to watch

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I liked the first episode of this and it put me in mind of "From the New World" with the carefully managed society and post-apocalyptic (?) setting.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
2nd episode was getting more into the dystopia aspect of the scenario, definitely digging this show so far

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The 3rd episode fell flat for me. It went in a direction I didn't really expect, but I find myself bored with the characters and annoyed at the ideological conflict they seem to be setting up.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I was more interested in what we learned about Lykos's society than any of the genociding peaceniks bit that was going on, still think the show has merits to keep up with it though

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Poor WhaleKids :smith:

Powerful episode

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This episode was a little better just due to the lack of the previous episode's annoying characters. I get the feeling that the story is not going to come together in a satisfying way though.

Magnuslord
Jul 19, 2008
Just finished watching episode 4. I am really enjoying the world this show takes place in. I feel that the characters are OK, and with some development, could turn out to be very likable. I do not see the whale island people coming out in good shape in the upcoming episodes, but I have no foreknowledge to base this on. I hope people give this show a shot because I would like to see more shows like this in the future. Give this show a shot if you like good world building and decent characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the last few eps of this show have been a real step up. i think the stuff with Nibi/Ouni was executed beautifully and the weird Nous biology/mindspace bits that followed was great. this week being a more typical anime romp was a welcome break from the constant gloom and death, and i cannot wait to see how this setup pays off in the setting department. splitting time between characters in the Empire and the Mud Whale as it hosts envoys from a third country should give the show a lot of interesting stuff to work with. really bums me out that this only has a few episodes left but i kinda assume the manga wouldn't have quite enough material for two cours, so i guess i'll start on the official release when this ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow. I finally got around to finishing this show up and it turned out way better than I expected from the first few episodes. It's a shame that this was mostly ignored because it really pulled itself together in the second half.

• Locked thread