Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

That also explains what, "Killing all," meant; his power basically guaranteed his victory, which necessitated everyone else dying. Therefore, no matter what, he's going to ensure that everyone else is dead. (Or, alternatively, it could be a reference to him "destroying worlds" or whatever he said when talking about his power in comparison to Monkey saving the most people, etc.)

I have not watched the anime, but if he announces himself as "killing all," that's missing a lot of the context.

The original Japanese is うじゃうじゃに殺す (ujauja ni korosu).
korosu is kill, that's the easy part.

ujauja has two meanings, both of which are relevant to the character. NisiOisiN loving LOVES wordplay and double (or triple) meanings and it's everywhere in the book.

1) in swarms or clusters (typically with smaller creatures or "lesser" people, so... rats.)
2) tediously and without end. ad nauseam.

The novel translation has him say, "I kill inexorably."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember in Medaka Box Nisio made a group of villains whose entire powers had to do with word play.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
For several chapters literally every page of every fight needed several translator notes. It was pretty funny in its own way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like from the wiki this is one of the villains powers involving language.

quote:

Misconversion User (誤変換使い, Gohenkan Tsukai): Similarly to the errors made by an old computer, Kugurugi converts words from hiragana incorrectly. Of the six Language Users, Kanaino claims that Kugurugi's style is one of the worst.

Combine Everything: If Kugurugi is to slip (滑る, suberu) while attacking, she is able to take the properties of everything (全る, suberu) in the area (such as peoples' physical strength) and combine (結べる, suberu) them all into one attack. When used on Kumagawa in the presence of the Student Council and two other suitors, Kugurugi was powerful enough to completely obliterate Kumagawa's arm.
Nothing: If an opponent is to confront (迎え撃つ, mukaeutsu) Kugurugi, she is able to reduce their attack to nothing (無変え写, mukaeutsu).
Really Hot Ice: By forcing an opponent into contact with really thick ice (ぶ厚い氷, buatsui koori), Kugurugi burns them by making it really hot ice (ぶ熱い氷, buatsui koori).

To non native speakers this was super confusing and would be near impossible to translate.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
God drat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I picked that one cause it was one of the easier ones to understand while getting the point across. The Kanji user is crazy complex.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Now I want to read Medaka Box.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Everyone should read Medaka Box, if only for the experience. I do think the fan translation is notably bad in places though. There are a lot of flourishes that may get lost in translation.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Watched the anime ending and that was.... lackluster. Pretty dumb really.

This show was like made for the 3 episode test. First 3 episodes are great, then it gets worse and worse and just fizzles out of existence. Animation quality getting worse and worse along the way to.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel the ending was fitting.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hmm that girl from school he liked sure looked familiar

I thought the show was fine, definitely started strong and had some dips. The only thing I wish they resolved better was the whole global shadow gambling proxy war thing which uh, never really came up again

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The only thing I wish they resolved better was the whole global shadow gambling proxy war thing which uh, never really came up again
Hustlers Gonna Hustle. HTH.

Concerning the ending... I'm just glad this whole thing is over and done with. I mean, yeah: There's a sequel novel, but the show here is done.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel the ending was fitting.

Brutal.

Yeah, I can see what people said about the last episode probably being what was originally a one-shot manga. I can see how that could have been the original story, then the rest of Juni Taisen was made after that.

Anyway, I enjoyed it myself, though, as I've said, I feel that it being made into a twelve episode anime, rather than an OVA or two, hurt it. It didn't break into twelve parts cleanly; some parts would have been better off shorter, and maybe one or two segments could have been lengthened and explored in more depth meanwhile. I still liked it, but I can see why people wouldn't; it had some rough parts and such.

The show kind of feels like it was a... Not a parody exactly, but, a deconstruction maybe, there's probably a better term, of the battle royale "genre". You had a bunch of mostly-terrible people fighting for no good reason, dying in ways that were often pointless and unsatisfying, watched by an audience who cares more about how entertaining they are than anything else, and in the end it was all for nothing. I had these thoughts a few weeks ago and forgot some of the points I had come up with in the meantime, but I think I'm still communicating the general idea. (Of course, it itself is still kind of what it's taking a shot at and would arguably be hypocritical if that was its purpose since it still is everything it tears down, but...)

Then again I could be overthinking it; this is actually the first NisiOisiN thing I've seen, and people have been talking about how he likes anticlimax and stuff, so maybe I'm reading into things too much.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nah, i definitely felt like the story was intentionally crafted to buck some common ideas or versions of battle royale stories. like the book going out of its way to mention how monkey's plan was never revealed in all 100 paths rat traveled made me laugh at how nisio would be so petty in denying the audience. at that point i suppose you just have to ask if you find any value in that, and for me the answer was yes...though moreso for the book version than the show.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

that was a lovely wish for a lovely show

if i won the juuni taisen i would wish nisio would never get to do anything again

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Condiv posted:

that was a lovely wish for a lovely show

if i won the juuni taisen i would wish nisio would never get to do anything again

He does some good stuff so that is mean.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Another Nisio masterpiece.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was the least interesting possible resolution.

not one of Nisio's better works, to be sure.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I enjoyed the episode, but the final line sold me fully on it. Isn't it interesting that in different contexts we idealize people who passionately desire things, and people who beatifically want for nothing?

Thread had me expecting it to be bad, but I guess I'm exactly the kind of idiot this nisonino guy is writing for.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a neat idea, but totally wasted on an epilogue episode. In fact, I think the whole show could have been rewritten to make the theme presented in the epilogue a whole lot more interesting. Here's a version on the show I think would have done that:

We start off with Mr. Clap Your Hands asking Nezumi what his wish is, without the context of knowing he won. Then we jump to the intro sequence where everyone is introduced, the game is explained, chaos ensues. Then, for the next couple of episodes, we see the various characters struggle their way through the game, making and breaking alliances and dropping off one by one, and eventually someone wins. Then the next episode cuts back to the begining when the chaos stared, and we see an alternate set of events. Different alliances, different interactions, different victor - rinse and repeat a couple times. Each time we get deep dives into a different set of characters, and by the end we've become familiar with everyone, and everyone has died tragically, specifically in a way that tramples on their wishes, at least once. Except for Nezumi. The last iteration would be a Nezumi victory, which finally loops back to the scene from the beginning, and his power is explained.

Throughout these iterations, Nezumi asks whatever group of people he allies with what they wish for, but these moments are not shown as anything more than normal conversation. After Nezumi wins and is asked about his wish, he then thinks back to when he asked other about their wishes, basically like this episode.

This version of the show would accomplish a couple things. First, we would experience Nezumi's alternate universe power without knowing about it. Secondly, we would be much more invested in the characters and their losses. 3 it would string that thematic chord accrpss the series so it doesn't feel like it was pulled out of someones rear end at the last moment to tie off an otherwise thematically meaningless show.

(Before anyone says it, this is basically the structure of Higurashi. Hey, it's a proven idea)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The ending conceit itself is good but yeah, this should have been half as long.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I love how mad this show made so many people and can only applaud its enormous brass balls. Bring on the sequel novel/anime!

EDIT: Also, ending was nigh-perfect. Rat's wish wound up being the only wish that would've made any sense for him to make.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 22, 2017

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
This show was quite a ride, and not really in a good way.... and yet? I thought the final episodes with rat tied things up in a satisfyingly unsatisfying way that made sense to me within the themes of the show. Rat having the courage to admit without any cynicism that he has nothing he wants, and being acknowledged for that, was nice.
And then boar's wish, hell yeah.

I'd never recommend this show to anyone, but I don't hate that I watched it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The OP and ED are top-notch, though! :)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Zodiac Criminals from the sequel all have super weird names and Code names

Maryland Sherry. Codename: Friend Sheep, Criminal of Aries
Luka Michael. Codename: Look Me, Criminal of Taurus
W2222 & M2222. Codename: Double Mind, Criminal of Gemini
Andy Almull. Codename: Eyeon Mii, Criminal of Virgo
Caesar Caesar (Pronounced Caesar Kaiser). Codename: Sir Cancer, Criminal of Cancer
Aaron Smith. Codename: Balon Su, Criminal of Libra
Dandy Lion. Codename: Dandy Lion, Criminal of Leo
Sashitari Usuki. Codename: Umun Sajari, Criminal of Sagittarius
None. Codename: Skull Pyon, Criminal of Scorpio (His wish is apparently to have a real name.)
Thomas B. Tholls. Codename: Muppet Bottle, Criminal of Aquarius
Valkyrie Goto. Codename: Go To Heaven, Criminal of Capricorn
Fuji Nocturne. Codename: Doctor Finish, Criminal of Pisces

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Can someone sum up how this ended and what the deal with Rat was? I stopped watching after about 9 or 10 episodes because it was pretty awful at that point

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Paperhouse posted:

Can someone sum up how this ended and what the deal with Rat was? I stopped watching after about 9 or 10 episodes because it was pretty awful at that point

Rat can live out 100 choices and perfectly see the outcome, but with all the baggage that comes with it (like dying 99 out of 100 times to win the tournament). So after a lot of thinking he realises the thing he wishes most for is to not remember any of it at all. And so his memory gets wiped of the entire Juni Teisen.

The end!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paperhouse posted:

(Ending spoilers below, obviously)

• Rat is a soothsayer. He was able to peer into a hundred paths to see what was up with his future and see in which one he survives. His "Lazy/Sleepy" thing was due to the fact that peering into the 100 paths is loving tiresome due to mentally experiencing them all. At the same time.
  • Rabbit's power of "zombification immortality until total physical annihilation is visited upon the zombie" works on himself. To a horrifying, Cronenbergian degree.
  • Monkey was OP as gently caress and the only thing that kept her from destroying the competition was her idealism/scruples.
  • Ox and Tiger never had their duel because Tiger took a knife through her back to give Ox some time to get the gently caress away from Rabbit.
  • The Dragon brothers got frozen solid and shattered completely.
  • Rat killed Rabbit, Ox, Monkey and snuffed Tiger's corpse by using Old Timer, Sheep's homemade bitchin' bomb.
  • Due to the events mentioned in the first bullet-point and his subsequent inability to make a "greedy" wish, Rat's wish is to forget the whole Zodiac Battle Royale happened in the first place. And for once, he's able to chill at school.

There.

e: beaten like a Boar! :argh:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The last ep was one of the best ones since it was the most Nisio-y ep of the whole bunch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

Rat won because everyone else killed each other and he had the perfect chance to blow up Ox and Rabbit at the same time (using Sheep's leftover bomb).

His power turned out to be the ability to retry any choice he makes 100 times and pick the best result. If he fails a hundred times, he's forced to accept failure, but in this case there happened to be one route out a hundred where he survives through sheer luck. His wish at the end is to forget everything he experienced in the battle because the guilt of someone like him, with no ambitions or goals, winning when people like Monkey died was too much for him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone said the last episode was originally a one-shot, which I could definitely see upon watching it. Despite referencing the Juni Taisen it was very self-contained and used all the other characters mostly to add insight into Rat and provide various wish ideas.

And yeah, there are multiple factors in Rat wishing to forget it all. How horrible it was, the guilt. and just sheer indecision over the wish, where any answer he comes up with he second-guesses and thinks he'll regret. Kid is having a breakdown by the time Duodecouple shows up to ask what he wishes for. (And suggests that Rat could wish for more wishes, which is interesting, since usually that's expressly forbidden.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Someone said the last episode was originally a one-shot, which I could definitely see upon watching it. Despite referencing the Juni Taisen it was very self-contained and used all the other characters mostly to add insight into Rat and provide various wish ideas.

And yeah, there are multiple factors in Rat wishing to forget it all. How horrible it was, the guilt. and just sheer indecision over the wish, where any answer he comes up with he second-guesses and thinks he'll regret. Kid is having a breakdown by the time Duodecouple shows up to ask what he wishes for. (And suggests that Rat could wish for more wishes, which is interesting, since usually that's expressly forbidden.)

Saying you can wish for more wishes but he doubts all the wishes in the world will satisfy someones ambition. (Also like he did when he forced Rat into the interview he would likley screw over anyone that made a wish like that.)

• Locked thread