Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

First time at ICSA for me here.

So, this isn't some hallowed recipe handed down from my ancestors or anything; I live in :britain: and chili isn't really a traditional thing here. This also makes sourcing some ingredients difficult. Anyway, here we go, the mise en place:

That's the cut we'd normally use for roast beef over here, red onion, bell pepper, some Komodo Dragon chilis (pretty hot, apparently specially grown for Tesco), beer, salt, paprika, oregano, cumin, coriander (cilantro to you), turmeric, black pepper, chipotle paste, mustard, canned whole tomatoes, garlic, beans. I like beans in my chili and I don't care who knows it :colbert:

Anyway, first things first, chop and fry the onion, bell pepper, chilis and garlic:

Chop up the meat - I took the fat off then cut it into roughly half inch cubes:

...and brown in the pan. Meanwhile, add the whole tomatoes, chipotle paste, beer and spices (I don't have quantities, I just freestyled it) into a dutch oven, and break up with a spoon:

Drain and add in the meat, onions etc:

Then into the oven for about 6 hours on relatively low heat.

Yum! We don't get the usual sort of crackers for chili over here; British tradition is and has been since the 1950s to serve it on a bed of rice for some reason. We don't do that in this household. The wife, being Mississippian, substitutes Ritz crackers; I like a nice bit of crusty French bread.

It is the best chili because it is my chili and went into my mouth. Also, good chili made by other people isn't as easy to find round here.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Very nice. As a fellow Brit, I'd advise getting chillies online, when they're in season you can get really good fresh ones next day delivery, and you can also get some good dried ones, which have a different (not inferior) flavour.

Did you link to this entry in the main thread?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Did you link to this entry in the main thread?

Thanks for the heads up!

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hell yes to this. I totally support making do with what you have for foreign cuisines. It may not be perfectly traditional, but I bet it tastes drat good, and it flexes your creativity. Enjoy your UK chili!

• Locked thread