Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Welp. I"m too loving heartbroken to say anything more than it was a good season that ended in a wet fart of a game.

See you in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Who decided the hats the Dodgers would wear after winning the pennant should be black and orange?!?!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MrMojok posted:

Poque, Kevlar, Popete, Miz Kriss, and all the other CubsPosters in here, I'm truly sorry for how you are feeling right now. I know how it feels to lose like this and you're all a great bunch of folks. It has been a good time and an honor chatting with you this series and this season.

Legitimately go the Dodgers, their team is very good and fun this year. Please don't lose to the Yankees.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Congrats Dodger fans!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
On the bad side, the Dodgers won. But on the bright side, Joe Maddon lost.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vernacular posted:

Oh man. This feels good :)

Been fun postin with y'all, Cubs fans!

I don't plan on stopping mashing the post button during the rest of the postseason.

You guys better beat the loving Yankees :argh:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pancakes posted:

Congrats, Dodgers fans!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cubs get back to breaking records from the 1900s

https://twitter.com/based_ball/status/921215561597575168

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sydin posted:

Legitimately go the Dodgers, their team is very good and fun this year. Please don't lose to the Yankees.

I 100% agree with this.

And I love Vin even though when I lived in LA I was more an Angel's fan because of Vladdy.

Beat the Yankeees or Astros should they make it somehow

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Miz Kriss posted:

Welp. I"m too loving heartbroken to say anything more than it was a good season that ended in a wet fart of a game.

See you in 2018.

As if we’re even going to get this far again in the next several years.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

SourKraut posted:

As if we’re even going to get this far again in the next several years.

I meant the regular season...?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I expected to be really sad, at least for a little bit, but honestly I'm less annoyed tonight than I was the last three losses. Maybe it's because it was such a massive blowout?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Jesus

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Miz Kriss posted:

I meant the regular season...?
Oh, yeah.

I meant that I don’t see this team getting past a Wild Card or NLDS round anytime soon again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is awesome

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

SourKraut posted:

Oh, yeah.

I meant that I don’t see this team getting past a Wild Card or NLDS round anytime soon again.

I do.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Oh, yeah.

I mean I know this is your MO, but why? The Cubs will largely be the same team next year sans Arrieta. There is no reason they can't win the division again.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Oh, yeah.

I dunno. I mean, there's definitely room for improvement, but I think the Cubs are in a decent spot to at least contend for the WC or NLDS.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

A Dodgers-Cubs NLCS every year would be great.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Popete posted:

I mean I know this is your MO, but why? The Cubs will largely be the same team next year sans Arrieta. There is no reason they can't win the division again.

I posted a big effort post in the October thread but to sum it up:

I feel like the starting pitching regressed a lot. I get what Kevlar said about being tired, but some of the staff hasn’t seen nearly the same run as others - Montgomery shouldn’t have been that tired and Quintana didn’t see last fall and both of them were mediocre. I feel like the Quintana trade ended up being somewhat bad. Arrieta is provably gone, and I think he’s on the decline, but I also think that of Darvish, so not sure who we’d sign In the offseason. The Wilson trade, etc.

Our bullpen needs a ton of work, but this year’s free agency options are really limited, and we don’t have the prospects anymore to try and trade for help.

Our young core doesn’t seem to be getting any plate discipline - this is now the second or third postseasons for some of these guys and they’re no better now than they were in 2015. I don’t know how that gets improved.

I feel like we have a window until 2020-2021 when big contracts will be coming up and teams like the Yankees and Dodgers have more money, better farm systems, equivalent young homegrown talent, but are able to develop pitching while we can’t for some reason.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

SourKraut posted:

I posted a big effort post in the October thread but to sum it up:

I feel like the starting pitching regressed a lot. I get what Kevlar said about being tired, but some of the staff hasn’t seen nearly the same run as others - Montgomery shouldn’t have been that tired and Quintana didn’t see last fall and both of them were mediocre. I feel like the Quintana trade ended up being somewhat bad. Arrieta is provably gone, and I think he’s on the decline, but I also think that of Darvish, so not sure who we’d sign In the offseason. The Wilson trade, etc.

Our bullpen needs a ton of work, but this year’s free agency options are really limited, and we don’t have the prospects anymore to try and trade for help.

Our young core doesn’t seem to be getting any plate discipline - this is now the second or third postseasons for some of these guys and they’re no better now than they were in 2015. I don’t know how that gets improved.

I feel like we have a window until 2020-2021 when big contracts will be coming up and teams like the Yankees and Dodgers have more money, better farm systems, equivalent young homegrown talent, but are able to develop pitching while we can’t for some reason.

I think what's also a huge problem is what's being seen on paper is completely different than what's happening on the field. Like, the Q and Wilson trade? They were doing decent on the other teams (from what I recall), and Q even had a great Cubs debut. In the bullpen, the setup from Edwards to Davis should work, but it's just.. not there. Davis has done well when it comes to a save, but only in a save situation. But there's something wrong and I'm not sure if it's just being overworked, or a mental roadblock or what.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SourKraut posted:

Bryant's K rate dropped from 30.6% in 2015 to 22% in 2016 to 19.2% in 2017. Rizzo's dropped from 16% last year to 13% this year. Javy's walk rate nearly doubled from last year. Contreras both improved his walk rate and lowered his K rate from last year. Happ did much better than people expected, and he was known in the minors for his ability to make adjustments while batting. They're still really young and they are showing signs of improvement.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Bryant's K rate dropped from 30.6% in 2015 to 22% in 2016 to 19.2% in 2017. Rizzo's dropped from 16% last year to 13% this year. Javy's walk rate nearly doubled from last year. Contreras both improved his walk rate and lowered his K rate from last year. Happ did much better than people expected, and he was known in the minors for his ability to make adjustments while batting. They're still really young and they are showing signs of improvement.

Oh I was impressed with Happ overall and I’m hoping Almora gets more playing time. It just feels like we get into the postseason and Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, etc. all just... shut down. I know a part of it is facing better pitching and also like you said about being tired, but Bryant in particular seems to somewhat disappear.

Edit: the pitching is what really worries me though. I feel like 2016 was a special year where everything clicked in general, people had career years, etc, , but now this year is more of what we should expect: Lester is getting older, Hendricks is a good #4, maybe #3, Quintana is... I don’t know, and Arrieta and Lackey are likely gone.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 20, 2017

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Oh I was impressed with Happ overall and I’m hoping Almora gets more playing time. It just feels like we get into the postseason and Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, etc. all just... shut down. I know a part of it is facing better pitching and also like you said about being tired, but Bryant in particular seems to somewhat disappear.

That's why I mentioned earlier that the team itself is in a good spot to contend for the postseason. The problem is once the postseason gets here.

EDIT!: I am a woman of my word (and posted in the toxx thread already), but here is my contribution for the Cubs loss. Bawfuls picked the YouCaring donation drive that Kike Hernandez started.

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 20, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Disappointing end, sure, but I can't really be angry.

See you again next year, LA.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Co MVPs, really? It was Turner and it wasn't close

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it owned to not watch that game and go to a rock and roll concert show

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Co MVPs, really? It was Turner and it wasn't close
Taylor had a higher OPS in the series, more runs scored, and played good defense at both SS and CF. Turner had more RBI and of course the walk-off. They both hit 2 home runs. It could have honestly been a three-way including Puig. The Dodgers had three co-mvps in the 81' WS

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 20, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I can't believe they snubbed Ethier like this

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

So at the risk of jinxing poo poo, I have a question for fans of teams that have won a pennant in the last decade.

Who's bought a cap with the WS patch on it and how long did it take to show up? Do they go up online early enough to order and wear it to games or do you have to find it in a store/at the stadium during the series?

You probably won't get it till maybe halfway through the series if you order online. I just checked Fanatics (which I believe supplies the MLB store) and they won't even ship them till the 30th. If you're in the LA area, you're probably better off just searching local stores for it if you want it to wear during the WS.

The other problem is that if they win it, they'll make the same hat but with a "World Series Champions" patch instead which you'll probably want more. This is the one I got last year.

http://www.mlbshop.com/catalog/product/Mens_Chicago_Cubs_New_Era_Royal_2016_World_Series_Champions_Side_Patch_Low_Pro_59FIFTY_Fitted_Hat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

You probably won't get it till maybe halfway through the series if you order online. I just checked Fanatics (which I believe supplies the MLB store) and they won't even ship them till the 30th. If you're in the LA area, you're probably better off just searching local stores for it if you want it to wear during the WS.

The other problem is that if they win it, they'll make the same hat but with a "World Series Champions" patch instead which you'll probably want more. This is the one I got last year.

http://www.mlbshop.com/catalog/product/Mens_Chicago_Cubs_New_Era_Royal_2016_World_Series_Champions_Side_Patch_Low_Pro_59FIFTY_Fitted_Hat
If they win it I will end up buying/being gifted so much other poo poo anyway. The first one would still always be the hat I wore to the WS. I live in SD but will be going to game 1 so I'll call around LA stores (and the stadium I suppose) to see what I can find.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

If they win it I will end up buying/being gifted so much other poo poo anyway. The first one would still always be the hat I wore to the WS. I live in SD but will be going to game 1 so I'll call around LA stores (and the stadium I suppose) to see what I can find.

Have fun at the game, man! Living in Seoul atm otherwise would do anything within my power to get there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

If you're going to the game I can't imagine they wouldn't be selling the hat.

• Locked thread