Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc
A few months back, my place of work had a consolidation resulting in the loss of a few hundred employees. As part of politics we had to hire a few previous employees. One of the employees that was politically hired was my own.

It was a very, VERY tough transition for them, going from a position of no accountability and 20 hours a week, to now reporting to a manager as well as working 40 hours a week.

After a lot of coaching and anger and frustration on my part, we were able to get on the same page and they have been thriving in the position since. I've been so proud and I believe they have a sense of confidence they've never had before.

Now. There has been another consolidation. I'll be losing my position as well as them. They have made it very apparent that they will not be able to make such a transition again. Now I know they can and I've said this. We've worked on their resume, done mock interviews, prepared samples of work, etc.

I just don't know how to motivate them. They're so soft spoken, so very passive, and so very unself-promoting. I'm kind of lost at this point. They've come so far and I just let them give up at this point. Any advice?

P.S. I know at some point I'll just have to let them sink. I know I'll be fine, but I still feel this obligation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You've gone above and beyond already, it seems like they might benefit from professional counseling at this point. Perhaps have a heart to heart where you talk about their overall life goals and use that to motivate them? Honestly, it's on them at this point and you've already done so much for them you probably feel as though you have a stake in their future. But it's their future and it's on them to make the best of it. You can only do so much for a person.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JoeWindetc posted:

I just don't know how to motivate them.
When they are hungry enough, they will automatically self-motivate. There is no need for action on your part.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You've done what you can. Unless someone is internally motivated, all of the external guidance, coaching, etc will come to naught.

• Locked thread