Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Friend is convinced her phone is listening to her conversations. She's using an iPhone.
What do I do? What do I answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

it's true though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tell her to end the phone call?? mate this isnt rocket science

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

HoboMan posted:

it's true though

oh wow

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

she could get an samsung galaxy s3 and remove the microphones and cameras like snowden in this video: https://www.wired.com/2016/05/snowden-vice-cell-phone-hack/

then the phone would only listen to her while she's calling people, like every phone, ever

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i don't recommend you recommend anyone getting a samsung phone though, unless you really dislike them

pram
Jun 10, 2001
great thread

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
This is a common misconception. Tell her she should purchase a Google Home mini if she wants that functionality.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Pumprag posted:

Friend is convinced her phone is listening to her conversations. She's using an iPhone.
What do I do? What do I answer?

if you're phone isn't listening to your conversation's its broken and probably should be swapped.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wrap the phone in tinfoil op

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

phones like cops have to tell the truth so just ask siri 'are you recording me?'

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raere posted:

phones like cops have to tell the truth so just ask siri 'are you recording me?'

This is true as denoted by the internet privacy act of 1996 signed into law by President Bill Clinton

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if her phone were listening to her for the spooks, the battery would run down really fast. and it might get suspiciously warm.

running the mics and radios sucks a lot of juice

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Raere posted:

SIRI you have to tell me otherwise its entrapment!

Here's what I found for "entrapment"

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Put the phone in the microwave, which acts as a faraday cage and will block all signals, so no-one can use it to eavesdrop.

Turn the microwave on for an additional obfuscating microwave signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fiedler posted:

This is a common misconception. Tell her she should purchase a Google Home mini if she wants that functionality.

• Locked thread