Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

It's autumn in Finland and you know what that means.

Chilies, lots of fresh chilies!

Since this ICSA coincided with the second to last harvest of the year, I decided to try a chili con fresh chili, with no tomatoes at all. Since I haven't eaten any meat in a year, I wasn't going to do that now either, and I think this ended up being fully vegan with two kinds of beans.

This year the chilies I'm growing are mainly mild or medium ones. Starting from upper left, these are Sparkly White Aji Fantasy, Aji Fantasy, Aji Cachucha, Panambi, Aji Cristal and a mystery chili that I thought would grow up to be Aji Amarillo Small, but it's clearly not. It was a bit hotter than I wanted for this, so I only used the first five varieties.

250 grams of fresh chilies after seeds and pith have been removed. I should've picked the Aji Cristals a bit earlier, they taste the best while they're still orange-green. Honestly, I also should've roasted at least some of these, but I really wanted to try them fresh this time.

The power of induction compels you!

Added some garlic, onion and spices. Didn't write them down or take pics, but you know the usual things: cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, liquid smoke, dark chocolate. At first I thought two bits of 85% chocolate was too much, but it mellowed while cooking. Should've added a bit more.

The official observer takes a look.

Beans. Never tried those "Big White Beans" before, so this is a good chance. How big could they even be, in the image they look like maybe 10% larger than black beans.

Uummmmm. Alright. Those are some big beans indeed!

Beansies go in with the other thingies. I think it had simmered for an hour or two before adding the beans.

With the sun setting before 6pm, I let the beaned up version simmer for another hour or so in the dark.

This is how it ended up on the plate, boringly with rice and white bread, plus some oat fraiche and spring onions on top.

It tasted... good. Quite pungent, should've had some different varieties for better heat distribution. And as I said, should've also roasted some, too. Maybe next year. Anyway, this is the best chili just because it has fresh Finnish home-grown chilies and no nonsense, like tomatoes. A chili should be chili-based, otherwise it's just a tomato sauce or a salsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
What a gorgeous cat!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Neofelis posted:

This is how it ended up on the plate, boringly with rice

noooo you have imported our heretical ways, for shame :britain:

(Chili looks good, tho!)

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is this basically a vegetarian chili? It looks very tasty. No shame in rice for chili. It’s a good way to bulk out the meal and stretch that dollar.

• Locked thread