Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

SourKraut posted:

Also note that the Dodgers success tonight was significantly attributed to Chase loving Utley, so they should feel as dirty as we had to last year due to Chapman.

Did Utley beat his wife or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Johnny Bravo posted:

Did Utley beat his wife or something

Tried to maim/ruin the careers of other players?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

That sixth sucked so hard

Verlander was in control of all those ABs then made one mistake, and each time that mistake was drilled (or drilled Utley in the leg)

Even with it Verlander pitched a good game. Offense just couldn't get to a taxed pen. You gotta blame them on this one.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lmao McCullers is READY, he's getting his arm loose right now

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

We all know how this ends. Great Darvish shows up and strikes out Yuli to complete the CGSO

We gotta stop buying into the power of narrative.

That being said, Yu for the classy revenge narrative!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not sure how I feel about tomorrow, I'm waiting for TheChirurgeon to tell me what emotion is appropriate.

I don't suppose it'd stop you from being an rear end in a top hat if I suggested you should feel happy that the team has played this well and has a real chance to win tomorrow night, would it?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Carlosologist posted:

lmao McCullers is READY, he's getting his arm loose right now

That’s what Kershaw did the night before game 5, worked out well

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm positively livid that if the Dodgers win tomorrow, the most remembered moment in the Astros second franchise WS appearance will be Yuli loving Gurriel making slant-eyes like he's a loving kindergartener.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm positively livid that if the Dodgers win tomorrow, the most remembered moment in the Astros second franchise WS appearance will be Yuli loving Gurriel making slant-eyes like he's a loving kindergartener.

I think there was enough crazy baseball poo poo to maybe prevent that from happening if it helps any.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Big Mean Jerk posted:

On that, you and I agree, at least

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am certain puig is going to do something in game seven, it will either be insanely cool or insanely ridiculous, but he's going to do something

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Other than that home run and being an arm threat, he's been a non-factor.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bort posted:

Other than that home run and being an arm threat, he's been a non-factor.

he's been waiting

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Grittybeard posted:

I think there was enough crazy baseball poo poo to maybe prevent that from happening if it helps any.

It's gonna be a story of this World Series, but yeah I think "The Chaos Series" has kind of overtaken it. Unless Darvish really does throw a 7+ inning gem to drive the narrative or maybe if Yuli does something bigly good or bad in Game 7 I think this whole "Yu forgave him so it's over" narrative will take.

Which actually really bugs me, not for the Astros/Series narrative thing but just because I think Yuli just got away with it with nothing but a week off after Spring Training and a few boos.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Trust the process binch

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

STAC Goat posted:

It's gonna be a story of this World Series, but yeah I think "The Chaos Series" has kind of overtaken it. Unless Darvish really does throw a 7+ inning gem to drive the narrative or maybe if Yuli does something bigly good or bad in Game 7 I think this whole "Yu forgave him so it's over" narrative will take.

Which actually really bugs me, not for the Astros/Series narrative thing but just because I think Yuli just got away with it with nothing but a week off after Spring Training and a few boos.

He should be in prison imo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Here's the dog-bark umpire strike 3 call

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What? Did this happen? What the gently caress is that

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I fell asleep last night around the 7th inning, I think? I guess I didn't miss much after that, huh?

Oh well, see you guys in the Game 7 thread!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/don_chisum/status/925740112188547072

So for real, are we going to give Roberts some credit for managing Hill? Verlander gave up most (all?) of his runs this series on the third time through the order. I’m not knocking Hinch for this, obviously his bullpen options are different. But it seems at a minimum we ought to acknowledge that what Dave has done has been effective.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You aren't going to feel the ramifications on that in Games 2 and 6 respectively. You're going to feel it in 3, 4, 5 and, well, 7.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

bawfuls posted:

https://twitter.com/don_chisum/status/925740112188547072

So for real, are we going to give Roberts some credit for managing Hill? Verlander gave up most (all?) of his runs this series on the third time through the order. I’m not knocking Hinch for this, obviously his bullpen options are different. But it seems at a minimum we ought to acknowledge that what Dave has done has been effective.

If you look at Hill’s season stats, he typically was pulled at around 5 IP, so I’m not sure I’d call it amazing WS managing so much as sticking to what he did during the regular season, which has ultimately worked out.

It doesn’t somehow negate his other baffling moves.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SourKraut posted:

If you look at Hill’s season stats, he typically was pulled at around 5 IP, so I’m not sure I’d call it amazing WS managing so much as sticking to what he did during the regular season, which has ultimately worked out.

It doesn’t somehow negate his other baffling moves.
That's my point though, Roberts is sticking to his process even when the microscope is on him. And there haven't really been any other baffling moves aside from the Keekay bunt.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

bawfuls posted:

That's my point though, Roberts is sticking to his process even when the microscope is on him. And there haven't really been any other baffling moves aside from the Keekay bunt.

Pitching Morrow so frequently is definitely a baffling decision. The drawback to having an analytical approach is that you’re applying a forecasted model of how you think you should manage a players/games, but as my graduate research advisor once told me, no model is perfect, and that’s especially true when it comes to sports.

The other part of it is that if you stick too much to a plan based on analytics/etc. then you might be too quick to make changes when, in a particular game, the pitcher might be having a significant outlier of a performance to what might be expected. Hill was dealing and looking good; his overall IP for the year is quite a bit less than many other starting pitchers, which would seem to indicate he’s probably overall less worn down than most others and fresher for the series.

So instead of seeing whether Hill could give another inning or two, Roberts goes to his bullpen and used Maeda and Morrow who both have pitched regularly this series and only have had one day of rest. Did it work out? Sure, but now you’re using that as justification for pulling Hill. He could have left Hill in, gotten two more scoreless innings, and you’d be having a different line of justification for how it helps to rest the bullpen for Game 7.

Basically, you can’t post about justifying/defending Roberts’ decision making by only looking through one prism and not also considering the other alternatives. If Morrow goes out and gives up the game winning tonight because he was ever-so-additionally-tired due to last night, will you criticize Roberts for his use of him last night?

That’s what I’m getting at.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Win or lose, I'm happy with the Astros' season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MELTDOWN

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I still can't convince my brain these aren't both national league teams.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

gently caress game 6

Game 7 was the best

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Game 7 is the best game in baseball history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

Game 7 is the best game in baseball history.

• Locked thread